Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Confirmation That This Rig is Alright

Last response: in Systems
December 15, 2011 8:26:44 PM

Hello, everyone. Very long time lurker, new to posting. I'm building a PC that I intend to use for the next four years and I've built what I hope is, and I know this is a silly phrase but, "future proof". I've been doing my research and I've built PCs in the past, but I know from experience that after staring at specs for a while it's easy for the eyes to gloss over and it becomes easy to miss glaring problems.

My budget is 1200, but with a future SSD and a second GTX 580.

So I ask, does this look solid? I'll post the parts and explanations:

-First, no hard drive. I'm transferring my current SATA HDD and will be getting a SSD within the month.

-Case: Apevia X-Jupiter G-type ATX Full Tower
Chose this because it's a gem of a case. It's nice, but cheap now. Massive $100 dollar savings. Full tower is a must.

-MoBo: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
This guy here blows my mind. PCI 3.0 slots, 3.0 usbs, a socket compatible with the future Ivybridge intels, all on one DDR3 mobo at an extremely, deceptively low price ($125). Am I missing something here? I know it's only got 2 PCI ports, but I plan on only ever using two cards in SLI -- never 3.

-GPU: EVGA 1.5GB GTX 580 (will OC)
The 580 is a must as well. Going any lower, and I'll sacrifice future SLI power and going any higher is... ridiculously costly. 580 seems standard.

-PSU: ABS Majesty 1100w PSU (great deal)
Can't. Skimp. On. Power. Supply. I need a PSU that will support 2x 580s, a couple HDDs, a SSD, fans, etc. Primarily the 580s. Also need the juice for OCed GPUs/RAM/CPU. Might I be able to go lower? Also, big $120 savings on this guy.

-RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Very hot item on Newegg. Fantastic deal, fast ram, 8 gigs, low price

CPU: Intel i5 2500k
The ever popular i5, which I'll OC. Games won't see a difference between i5 and i7, and IvyBridges are out next year. Also, will be overclocking.

CPU Heatsink: ZALMAN CNPS9500A-LED 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
Sexy, reliable brand and reasonable price + $10 rebate, all the while looking good while keeping CPU cool for overclocking.

-Disk Drive: Asus Drive
Simple. Would transfer the one from my current PC, but it's PATA and the new mobo only supports SATA. SATA is cleaner anyway. Also, dirt cheap.

Total price including case: $1,206.92. (with no tax and free 2-day shipping using the 30-day-trial of ShopRunner on Newegg)

After rebates: 1,176.92.

Again, in the future I'm going to get a second GTX580, a SSD, and another HDD. But no point in factoring those prices in to the current.

Lastly, I should mention this is primarily for gaming but I do 3D modelling as well. But that modelling is FOR video games, and thus the highest poly meshes I see are ~2 million/3 million and that's ONLY for art models used to bake normals onto the low poly meshes.

So, how's it look with all things considered? I'm about to give this order the "go".
a b B Homebuilt system
December 15, 2011 8:38:49 PM

Thumbs up. But with the newegg reviews, looks like you will need the lifetime warranty with the 580. Be sure to register online.
Score
December 15, 2011 8:52:26 PM

Already registered. Thanks for the thumbs up. I gave it a good look over and did my research, so I'm hoping I haven't overlooked any problems in the set up!

Fingers crossed!

Also, still looking for more opinions.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 15, 2011 9:18:06 PM

850W would do for two 580s. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Meh on the CPU sink. A Hyper 212 EVO would do better, but go for it if you really like the look. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Hy...
Some people have had quality problems with those cheap ASRock boards, but most just get a great deal. I think it's worth the risk of an RMA.
December 15, 2011 9:25:29 PM

Thanks for the reply.

On the PSU, the one you linked is actually the same price as the 1100w I'm looking at. Should I consider dropping to the 850 for some other reason? One factor that led me to 1100w (aside from the low price on this one) was that I will be using it for years to come, and since psus lose output over time, I wanted to be sure it would stand up to the use.

Also, interesting to hear about the Asrocks. I definitely am skeptical of such a low price, but if it works... it's an awesome deal.s

Regarding the heatsink, I'll switch and take your advice. I am not one to choose aesthetics over function. It was only a plus that it looked good. If the 212 EVO is truly considered better, I'll take it.
Score
a b B Homebuilt system
December 15, 2011 10:05:39 PM

Yeah, I think the NZXT's better quality. Very good PSUs (like this one) actually lose power over time - down to their rated output!
Score
December 23, 2011 2:19:54 AM

Best answer selected by Narmix.
Score
!