SOCOM II UPDATE DISC

I have access to my friends HDD if i want it, but i heard that for the
update to work you need a disc from sonY??? I figured the download would
probably be available online once i logged in and the server recognized that
i had a hard drive, but is this the case? and does anyone know how many
people are generally on the new maps? I'd hate to leave the 'old' world
behind just to find that there aren't as many available people to play with
and that finding a game would be difficult. any insights would be
appreciated fellas (and ladies - all 3 of you who play socom)

SPIDERMAN wrote:
> I have access to my friends HDD if i want it, but i heard that for
the
> update to work you need a disc from sonY??? I figured the download
would
> probably be available online once i logged in and the server
recognized that
> i had a hard drive, but is this the case? and does anyone know how
many
> people are generally on the new maps? I'd hate to leave the 'old'
world
> behind just to find that there aren't as many available people to
play with
> and that finding a game would be difficult. any insights would be
> appreciated fellas (and ladies - all 3 of you who play socom)

There are always people playing the new maps, because they are very
well done.

The only thing required to get the HDD working is the HDD. If you are
getting it from a friend, it should be all set and ready to go. Just
put it in. As far as SOCOM II goes. You DO need the disc the maps come
on. Which was the demo disc that came with Issue #90 of Official
Playstation Magazine here in the US. That is where the maps download
from. Normal updates from SOCOM II for the game in general are stored
on your memory card, not the HDD.

So do not assume that you'll get the maps just by having the HDD. You
must find a copy of the demo disc from issue number 90 in order to get
ALL the maps, and it also comes with a save game that unlocks all
characters for online play. Issues 88 and 89 have one map each, but
issue 90 has all three and the save game file.

Hope this information helps you.

--Brenden

"Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chase@gmail.com> wrote in message

> SPIDERMAN wrote:
> > I have access to my friends HDD if i want it, but i heard that for
> the
> > update to work you need a disc from sonY??? I figured the download
> would
> > probably be available online once i logged in and the server
> recognized that
> > i had a hard drive, but is this the case? and does anyone know how
> many
> > people are generally on the new maps? I'd hate to leave the 'old'
> world
> > behind just to find that there aren't as many available people to
> play with
> > and that finding a game would be difficult. any insights would be
> > appreciated fellas (and ladies - all 3 of you who play socom)
>

> There are always people playing the new maps, because they are very
> well done.
>
> The only thing required to get the HDD working is the HDD. If you are
> getting it from a friend, it should be all set and ready to go. Just
> put it in. As far as SOCOM II goes. You DO need the disc the maps come
> on. Which was the demo disc that came with Issue #90 of Official
> Playstation Magazine here in the US. That is where the maps download
> from. Normal updates from SOCOM II for the game in general are stored
> on your memory card, not the HDD.
>
> So do not assume that you'll get the maps just by having the HDD. You
> must find a copy of the demo disc from issue number 90 in order to get
> ALL the maps, and it also comes with a save game that unlocks all
> characters for online play. Issues 88 and 89 have one map each, but
> issue 90 has all three and the save game file.
>
> Hope this information helps you.
>
> --Brenden

Quick question for you, Brenden. I got the OPN issues with the SOCOM II
maps on the disk, and I downloaded them to my HDD. I haven't played SOCOM
or SOCOM II for so long, however, that I'm afraid I'll quickly get schooled.
I wanted to check out the new maps in a leisurely fashion first. My son and
I can play SOCOM or SOCOM II against each other using the LAN option, which
is great for training and/or surveying the environments. Can I assume,
however, that the new maps are online only? In other words, I wouldn't be
able to play the new maps using a LAN, right? What if both of our PS2's had
a HDD (they currently don't)? I'm not about to purchase another HDD at full
price, but if I got a good deal on a used one, I wouldn't want to buy it
only to find out that we can't play the new SOCOM II maps against each
other.

Android wrote:
> "Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chase@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>SPIDERMAN wrote:
>>
>>>I have access to my friends HDD if i want it, but i heard that for
>>
>>the
>>
>>>update to work you need a disc from sonY??? I figured the download
>>
>>would
>>
>>>probably be available online once i logged in and the server
>>
>>recognized that
>>
>>>i had a hard drive, but is this the case? and does anyone know how
>>
>>many
>>
>>>people are generally on the new maps? I'd hate to leave the 'old'
>>
>>world
>>
>>>behind just to find that there aren't as many available people to
>>
>>play with
>>
>>>and that finding a game would be difficult. any insights would be
>>>appreciated fellas (and ladies - all 3 of you who play socom)
>>

>>There are always people playing the new maps, because they are very
>>well done.
>>
>>The only thing required to get the HDD working is the HDD. If you are
>>getting it from a friend, it should be all set and ready to go. Just
>>put it in. As far as SOCOM II goes. You DO need the disc the maps come
>>on. Which was the demo disc that came with Issue #90 of Official
>>Playstation Magazine here in the US. That is where the maps download
>>from. Normal updates from SOCOM II for the game in general are stored
>>on your memory card, not the HDD.
>>
>>So do not assume that you'll get the maps just by having the HDD. You
>>must find a copy of the demo disc from issue number 90 in order to get
>>ALL the maps, and it also comes with a save game that unlocks all
>>characters for online play. Issues 88 and 89 have one map each, but
>>issue 90 has all three and the save game file.
>>
>>Hope this information helps you.
>>
>>--Brenden
>

> Quick question for you, Brenden. I got the OPN issues with the SOCOM II
> maps on the disk, and I downloaded them to my HDD. I haven't played SOCOM
> or SOCOM II for so long, however, that I'm afraid I'll quickly get schooled.
> I wanted to check out the new maps in a leisurely fashion first. My son and
> I can play SOCOM or SOCOM II against each other using the LAN option, which
> is great for training and/or surveying the environments. Can I assume,
> however, that the new maps are online only? In other words, I wouldn't be
> able to play the new maps using a LAN, right? What if both of our PS2's had
> a HDD (they currently don't)? I'm not about to purchase another HDD at full
> price, but if I got a good deal on a used one, I wouldn't want to buy it
> only to find out that we can't play the new SOCOM II maps against each
> other.

I would guess that you could do a LAN with another HDD. Since you can do
it other wise, why not with those other maps. Might not though, but it
sure seems as though that would work. Might have to ask that one
somewhere more specific, maybe a gamefaqs.com board for the game or
something Mark...not sure how many people really have 2 PS2's with 2
HDD's and are doing/or tried LAN like that.

Android wrote:
> [...]
schooled.
> I wanted to check out the new maps in a leisurely fashion first. My
son and
> I can play SOCOM or SOCOM II against each other using the LAN option,
which
> is great for training and/or surveying the environments. Can I
assume,
> however, that the new maps are online only? In other words, I
wouldn't be
> able to play the new maps using a LAN, right? What if both of our
PS2's had
> a HDD (they currently don't)? I'm not about to purchase another HDD
at full
> price, but if I got a good deal on a used one, I wouldn't want to buy
it
> only to find out that we can't play the new SOCOM II maps against

That's a very good question Mark. I really dont know the answer, but i
would assume that the PS2 would let you set up a "mock" game with just
one ps2 on the LAN and try using one of the new maps and see if it lets
you do it. I personally have not tried setting up a LAN game at all
since i do not have two ps2's in my house. (my sister and brother both
have gamecubes) However, when i do get home from work i'll try to
remember to test it out and see if it will let me choose the new maps
for a LAN game.

I'll report back, not unless someone else beats me too it.