Sign in with
Your question

Such a strange question?

Last response: in CPUs
March 21, 2012 11:35:16 AM

Hello! I found this forum very useful and I have been reading it for a while. Congratulations for it! :) 

Why am I posting? Well ...

I have bought an AMD FX 6100 processor. It will replace my former Athlon 64 X2 6400 processor.

Now... to the fun side. :D 

The Athlon was rated to get up at 125W. The FX should need 95.

Athlon - http://computermonger.com/wp-content/uploads/reviews/am...

FX - http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronage/6264152838/in/pho...

I guess you can guess what I am guessing might be possible and good to do. The Athlon heat sink + cooler seems better at handling higher temperatures (since the Athlon was hotter) and compared to the FX one, it seems to benefit from copper heat pipes, not just have one Aluminium radiator.

So.... If I install the Athlon heatsink + cooler over the FX6100 processor... Will it work?

More about : strange question

a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 11:50:53 AM

The links are broken.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 11:58:24 AM

Yes it will work.

A higher rated TDP HS/F with identical mounting will be fine. No need for pics. Socket design/mounts hasn't changed mechanically. 125W cooler will obviously cool a 95w part.
Related resources
March 21, 2012 5:11:04 PM

Thank you for all your replies! :love: 

I should have been more clear... I am not really interested in buying another cooler or investing in that. :sarcastic: 

But since I already have the Athlon cooler + sink... I am just wondering if it is not better than the stock FX one. So, I am just deciding which one to keep in the closet.
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 5:15:59 PM

use the copper hs on the cpu, the aluminum one goes to the recycling center.
March 21, 2012 5:28:43 PM

noob2222 said:
use the copper hs on the cpu, the aluminum one goes to the recycling center.

Good one, copper is a better heat conductor. That is a WIN! :) 

P.S. I am not going into details. Science will kill everybodies' mood swing...
a b à CPUs
March 21, 2012 6:48:20 PM

benjamincakir said:
doesn't that only cool Intel processers?

Though the OP doesn´t want to buy one, the cooler is universal, it is good for both Intel Socket: LGA 1366 / 1156 / 1155 / 775 and AMD Socket: FM1 / AM3+ / AM3 / AM2+ / AM2

March 22, 2012 5:13:02 PM

HELP!!!!

So, I have installed the Athlon cooler (fan + heat sink), sort of.

I detached the fan from the new FX cooler and fitted it onto the old Athlon heat sink. (because the Athlon fan was some years old etc).

ANYWAY, the problem is that in bios I do not see any „targeted CPU” temperature or something like that. So now my CPU fan is running in „smart mode”, but it does not turn off completely (0 RPM) like with the old Athlon. For example, now my damn CPU is at 14*C and the fan is doing 1400 RPM. Dafuq!?

This is my mum board - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

How the fudge can I make it stop completely for under a certain CPU temperature?
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2012 5:26:13 PM

That board doesn't allow you to control the fan from the bios.
March 22, 2012 7:03:15 PM

Yes, I guess youre right. I will have to use software. Do not like using software for stuff like this, Im always worried it might freeze.
!