MotherBoard Ram Slots (GA-990FXA-UD3)

Tminear13

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Hello,
I recently purchased my "first" high end desk top, off of ebay. It was pre-made, only 6 months- 1 year old.

The parts are as follows:

• AMD FX 8120 Black Edition 3.1 Ghz 8-core Bulldozer CPU.

• Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

• Heatsink CoolerMaster hyper212 + Evo for extreme overclocking.

• GPU Zotac nVidia GTX 560 ti Limited Edition w/ 448 unlocked cores. (As compared to 334 cores. High-end 580 series performance).

• RAM Corsair Vengeance (2x 4gb) 8GB DDR3 1600.

• OCZ Vertex 3 128GB SSD SATA III. SSD is the fastest technology in storage on the market.

• Case CoolerMaster HAF 912 w/ extra case fans. 1x 140mm white led top exhaust, 1x 120mm blue led rear exhaust, 2x 120mm blue led front intakes.

• PSU: Corsair GS600 SLI Ready 600watt Power Supply w/ neon blue fan light.

- Samsung DVD-RW Drive

------------------------------------------

Now, everything is fine and dandy with the machine, but he included 2 extra sticks of 4gb Vengence ram to match the other two. (ALL THE SAME)

The ram currently in the machine are in ports 1 and 3, however I believe that the ram slots are numbered as 1, 3, 2, 4 in that order. So theoretically the current RAM is in slots 1 and 2, with 3 and 4 not working.

So whenever I go to plug in the other ram sticks (which work btw, already swapped them out with each other) the computer won't even show video. I heard that the dual tethering might not be on, but I don't know where I would switch this in the BIOS.

It currently runs fine with only the 8gb in the machine, and that's the only way it will show video.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Image of the Motherboard:

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/product/2/4001/5080_big.jpg

make sure the mb bios is up to date may fix your issue.
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3894#bios
on some mb and ram combo i seen that adding 4 same sticks will cause no post.
if you add one stick and make it 12g does the system post?? if not use one know good dimm and walk in into all the slots.
if the system posts fine then the slots are working. with some older ram you may have to bump the dram voltage. most older ram may be 1.65v. with 4 dimms the voltage may be low.
i would also use cpu-z and read both sets of dimms to see that they are the same voltage..and speed. then i would run memtest on one of the old dimms at a time to see if both dimms are fine.
i would also try running the ram at stock speed of 1333 or 1066 and see if the system posts. some amd mb have a hard time reading or running with intel xmp profile speed. most newer ram the 1600 speed is not stock speed in the spd by an xmp profile speed. sometimes dropping the speed on the mb down to a stock speed will work.

Tminear13

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Really? :sarcastic: Already tried that. Wouldn't have posted something otherwise.

@smorizio

Let me try it, I updated from that website so maybe it will work now. If not you want me to switch down the speed in BIOS?

start with three dimms. if the mb posts are read the dimms fine then try in the bios to up the dram voltage to it max and then add the 4th dimm. if the system locks with three dimms try bumping the dram voltage and try with three dimms. if not then i would go into the bios and set the mb to slower 1333/10666 speed and see if the ram will post. if it wont with the newest bios then it may be ram qal issue. not all mb will run with all ram.

Tminear13

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Sorry, just got around to replying now. HOWEVER I would like to thank you all for replying. Turns out the guy I bought it from had the DRAM voltages messed up. I reset the CMOS and it's fine now. Feels so good to be at 16gb compared to 8gb