Sign in with
Your question
Closed

All games lagging with Radeon 6850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 19, 2011 1:24:27 PM

I just bough the Radeon 6850 a week ago. However, all my games are lagging. I installed all of the lastest drivers.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Pentium Dual-Core (Two Cores @ 2.66 ghz)
RAM: 2 GB DDR2 800 mhz
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 6850

All the games are lagging. I have the lastest drivers. Whats wrong?
October 19, 2011 1:29:33 PM

Try overclocking your CPU.

Also, you RAM is an issue.

Try DDR3 4Gb (assuming your motherboard supports DDR3).
October 19, 2011 1:31:21 PM

When the games are lagging:
1. What is the load of the CPU, GPU and RAM?
2. How much HDD space is left?
3. What PSU do you have?
4. At what resolution are you playing?
5. At what settings are you playing, full graphical settings?
Related resources
October 19, 2011 1:34:16 PM

too weak CPU and not enough RAM.
October 19, 2011 1:35:52 PM

Recommended Ram is 1 Gb. I have 2. And the 6850 is capable of playing at high settings. I try to play Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and it lags. And isn't the GPU more important than the CPU when it comes to gaming?
October 19, 2011 1:40:00 PM

both CPU and GPU is important, if one of them is very weak compared to the other one then you will have a bottleneck. you would really need to upgrade that CPU if you wish smoother gameplay.
October 19, 2011 1:40:22 PM

Rizlla said:
When the games are lagging:
1. What is the load of the CPU, GPU and RAM?
2. How much HDD space is left?
3. What PSU do you have?
4. At what resolution are you playing?
5. At what settings are you playing, full graphical settings?

Does Hard Drive space affect gaming?
October 19, 2011 1:40:50 PM

Quote:
And isn't the GPU more important than the CPU when it comes to gaming?

Yes, but to a certain point.

It's no use having a powerful GPU if the CPU can't keep up-ie, bottlenecking.

It's about balance.
October 19, 2011 1:44:28 PM

scienceisfun91 said:
I just bough the Radeon 6850 a week ago. However, all my games are lagging. I installed all of the lastest drivers.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Pentium Dual-Core (Two Cores @ 2.66 ghz)
RAM: 2 GB DDR2 800 mhz
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 6850

All the games are lagging. I have the lastest drivers. Whats wrong?

"Pentium Dual-Core" is a super low end CPU"
. In order to get decent performance on today's game upgrade the CPU to a Quad Core if your board supports. I have a system contains an i5 750 @3.2 Ghz and Radeon HD 5770 overclocked I get around 30-40 fps on most games @ 1920 X 1080 all maxed out!!. UPGRADE YOUR CPU
October 19, 2011 1:53:27 PM

at high resolutions the gpu handles most of the graphics load. at low resolutions the cpu handles most of it. if your pentium is an older dual core version (non sandy bridge) it is more likely to hold the 6850 back. the slower 2 gb ddr2 ram is also kind of a problem since the 6850 takes up half of it during gaming and leaves only 1 gb to the system.
try lowering all the game settings and see if that improves performance. if your gaming performance gets better, then the cpu might be the one holding you back. i hope that helps you.
October 19, 2011 1:58:36 PM

Here are the requirements of the game (keep in mind this is bare minimum)

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit System Requirements
Intel CPU - Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz L
AMD CPU - Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+
Nvidia GFX Card - GeForce 8800 GT
ATI GFX Card - Radeon HD 3870
RAM (Memory) - 2 GB
Hard disk space - 8 GB
Direct X - 9

So you barely meet the requirements for RAM and CPU.. it will prolly be laggy with any good graphic features turned on.. You might want to upgrade your CPU/RAM
October 19, 2011 2:35:44 PM

de5_Roy said:
at high resolutions the gpu handles most of the graphics load. at low resolutions the cpu handles most of it. if your pentium is an older dual core version (non sandy bridge) it is more likely to hold the 6850 back. the slower 2 gb ddr2 ram is also kind of a problem since the 6850 takes up half of it during gaming and leaves only 1 gb to the system.
try lowering all the game settings and see if that improves performance. if your gaming performance gets better, then the cpu might be the one holding you back. i hope that helps you.

What if I overclock my card?
October 19, 2011 2:44:50 PM

the 6850 is more powerful that 2 radeon hd 3870 in crossfirex and then some. oc'ing the card might not help but it's your card- your choice. i still think it's your cpu and ram that needs speeding up.
what is your cpu model number? your cpu might be less powerful than the one in the minimum requirements rozz posted.
October 19, 2011 3:06:14 PM

de5_Roy said:
the 6850 is more powerful that 2 radeon hd 3870 in crossfirex and then some. oc'ing the card might not help but it's your card- your choice. i still think it's your cpu and ram that needs speeding up.
what is your cpu model number? your cpu might be less powerful than the one in the minimum requirements rozz posted.

Sorry to ask you so many questions, but is it possible to overclock the cpu?
October 19, 2011 3:17:03 PM

scienceisfun91 said:
Sorry to ask you so many questions, but is it possible to overclock the cpu?

i don't mind at all.
overclocking is dependent on your cpu and motherboard and luck.
October 19, 2011 3:36:21 PM

de5_Roy said:
i don't mind at all.
overclocking is dependent on your cpu and motherboard and luck.

Ok. Last question lol. Do you have to go into the BIOS to overclock?
October 19, 2011 3:37:08 PM

I still agree with RZilla we need more details. It could be the power supply not giving ample power to the GPU and or the CPU. Give us all of the details he asked for and then you may get a more definitive answer. Instead of just poking around at the possibility of overclocking and possibly damaging parts.
October 19, 2011 3:47:54 PM

PartialGenious said:
I still agree with RZilla we need more details. It could be the power supply not giving ample power to the GPU and or the CPU. Give us all of the details he asked for and then you may get a more definitive answer. Instead of just poking around at the possibility of overclocking and possibly damaging parts.

I play games at 1600 X 900
I have 200 GB left of hardware space
I have a LiteOn 350W PSU
October 19, 2011 3:50:17 PM

yeah, the exact processor model number, motherboard brand and model, psu model and wattage, answers to the questions Rizlla asked are needed.
like PartialGenious said, overclocking can damage a component. and almost certainly can reduce it's life.
as for your question: some motherboards have softwares to oc without going into bios but bios gives users more options to manually tweak different settings. modern mobos and cpus have protective circuitry and settings built into them to prevent damage but i suspect your cpu might not have them(don't know what model your cpu and mobo exactly are). and please do not mess around with bios settings if you don't know what you're doing - you might end up with a dead system.
October 19, 2011 3:55:37 PM

LiteOn 350W PSU!!! We have a winner. Upgrade that bad boy as I would not even trust it powering those components. I mean a PSU that size does it even have the correct PCIE connectors to power that card?

Straight from AMD's website minimum PSU requirement is 500w I don't know what amperage on the 12v rail.
October 19, 2011 3:57:49 PM

PartialGenious said:
LiteOn 350W PSU!!! We have a winner. Upgrade that bad boy as I would not even trust it powering those components. I mean a PSU that size does it even have the correct PCIE connectors to power that card?

It has a 6 pin power connector and the other stuff I needed to connect it. Could it still be a problem?
October 19, 2011 4:16:49 PM

amd's hd6850 page says that you need at least a 500w psu. yours is 350w (probably a low quality one that doesn't deliver rated wattage and has very low efficiency).
i suggest you upgrade your psu to a good 550w or 600w 80+ bronze(or higher) and see if that solves the problem. your current psu might be failing to supply the gfx card with enough juice.
is your psu this one: LITEON model no PS-6351-2 with 18a on +12v
(hell i can't find a liteon psu on newegg)
October 19, 2011 4:55:31 PM

de5_Roy said:
amd's hd6850 page says that you need at least a 500w psu. yours is 350w (probably a low quality one that doesn't deliver rated wattage and has very low efficiency).
i suggest you upgrade your psu to a good 550w or 600w 80+ bronze(or higher) and see if that solves the problem. your current psu might be failing to supply the gfx card with enough juice.
is your psu this one: LITEON model no PS-6351-2 with 18a on +12v
(hell i can't find a liteon psu on newegg)

I don't remember the exact model number. But it is being used in me Dell Studio 540 Desktop PC. But my system only uses 240 Watts max.
October 19, 2011 5:10:02 PM

OP list your full system specs including psu make and model and monitors resolution...

then like has already been said you need to upgrade your cpu/mobo/ram

honestly a 6850 is not that powerful of a card at the end of a day.... but should be able to run NFS no problem imo with the right system...

am3(+) setups are going for pretty cheap these days..

what is the make and model of your psu?

if you want a good answer you need to provide more information
October 19, 2011 5:35:25 PM

500w is on there website because they want to make sure even low quality psu can power the system. In reality a 300w quality psu can power the system at minimum, here is a link to a 40 dollar power supply that will be able to power. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This power supply is a rebranded 500w powersupply.
October 19, 2011 5:40:15 PM

Phyrexiancure said:
500w is on there website because they want to make sure even low quality psu can power the system. In reality a 300w quality psu can power the system at minimum

So basically my 350w is ok?

October 19, 2011 5:43:16 PM

you guys can have fun with this one...
October 19, 2011 5:44:17 PM

scienceisfun91 said:
So basically my 350w is ok?

If you can find the powersupply identification or product name I can look up its information, Most likely its really cheap unless you bought it yourself.
October 19, 2011 5:45:35 PM

What is your spending limit on you computer? Well since you can already use your graphics card there probably is no need to upgrade you power supply right now so lets just focus on your ram and cpu. You will not be able to overclock to cpu since Dell computers don't give you the option to unless of course you actually mod you cpu. If you could mode it you'd probably be able to get to 3ghz before stressing you computer but I think you best option is a cpu upgrade. If you don't have the budget to invest another ~$200 dollars I would buy a used core 2 quad off ebay since its hard to find them new and when you do they charge unreasonable prices. Also you computer should have 4 gb of total ram to enjoy most games without slowdown, does you computer have 4 ram slots or just 2. If you have 4 you can simply add two more ram dimms, if not then you'll have to replace your old dimms with new ones that have more memory. This should come out to 100 dollars but if you had a 200 dollar budget you could go with an amd phenom ii platform that has a lot more value than the relatively expensive core 2 quads. As a nice bonus you will also be able to overclock without the hassle of physically modding chips.
October 19, 2011 6:09:46 PM

jjb8675309 said:
OP list your full system specs including psu make and model and monitors resolution...

Res is 1600x900

what is the make and model of your psu?

He has a LiteOn 350W

if you want a good answer you need to provide more information

October 19, 2011 6:49:49 PM

Alright plain and simple Lite On makes decent DVD/CD Drives. They are not known to my knowledge for producing quality power supplies. A good quality power supply gives more consistent power and will also do what it advertises. IE if it says 500W it can usually output a little better than 500W.

That being said it is in no way shape or form good to push any type of power providing device at max ratings for any extended period of time. Why? Because electronics heat up and cause shorts which can damage in this case a power supply or even a motherboard or low and behold maybe even that brand new graphics card of yours. If the manufacturer says minimum power supply rating is 500W that is with a average power supply. They suggest this because it will probably actually work fine on a 350W or 400W decent power supply. But back to what I said that also leaves about 20 percent of head room 500W - 400W = 100W or 20% so the PSU would be pushing about 80% of its supposed capability.

Anyways take what you want from this but I have already suggested get a quality 500W power supply and you will be better off. I would do this before I did anything else besides buy/build a new computer completely.
!