Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Bravia Full HD won't show pc via HDMI on 1080p but will on 720p

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 19, 2011 1:54:07 PM

Hello,

I just bought a Sony Bravia KDL-40HX800 tv and I tried to hook up my pc to it using hdmi to hdmi. The problem is that my tv won't show 1080p but it will show 720p. Both machines use a resolution of 1920x1080 so it shouldn't be an issue. The PC runs on Win7 64bit.

I changed the Hz to anything from 24Hz to 60Hz and it made no difference, it just doesn't show anything on 1080.

In my computer I have an Asus Ati Radeon (EAH)5770 HD card if that helps. I updated my drivers but that hasn't helped the issue. Does anyone have any Idea how to solve this problem?

By the way I contacted Sony and they said it's probably an issue with the pc because my PS3 works fine with gaming as well as blurays.

Thanks everyone and I hope someone else has had the same issue and more importantly; solved it! :) 

P.S. I hope I post this in the correct categorie, if not please say so. Thanks

October 19, 2011 3:11:53 PM

When you say it won't show 1080p do you mean you can select it and it doesn't work or that you can not even select it?
Score
October 19, 2011 3:20:21 PM

I can select it, but when I do the TV screen goes black and the Computer screen just accepts the new resolution.
Score
Related resources
October 19, 2011 3:28:05 PM

Are you using an HDMI cable through a DVI adapter?
if you go to
windows->control panel->appearance and personalization->adjust screen resolution
what options do you see ?

does the catalyst control center recognize it as aTV or a DVI display?

I had a similar issue where my graphics adapter was treating my tv as a DVI display. I'm trying to remember how I fix it.
Score
October 19, 2011 3:30:45 PM

in the catalyst control center, you can look under
start->desktop and display->add remove displays->detect displays
is your tv listed as a tv or a display?
Score
October 19, 2011 3:52:45 PM

Windows does recognize it as "Sony TV" with no options about changing resolutions or anything (which makes sense as it's just a projector and not something that the Pc has the "power" to change). It's also HDMI to HDMI, from the back of my graphics card to the back of my tv.

I'm not sure about how catalyst sees the TV though, have to check on that, but I'm pretty sure it's recognized as a tv, but I'll check. I'm Dutch btw so I first have to get home from work :p .
Score
October 19, 2011 6:45:16 PM

While your descryption of how to get there in catalyst doesn't exactly match mine, I did manage to find the tv. It says Sony TV, DFP (whatever that is) HDMI. For my monitor it says IPS236, DFP, DVI. So everything in my computer detects is as a TV really. Man I'm really lost with this one...
Score
October 19, 2011 6:47:08 PM

Oh and it's called AMD VISION engine control center apparently...thought it was catalyst. Weird...
Score
October 19, 2011 6:55:29 PM

can you change the refresh rate to 120 ?
Score
October 19, 2011 6:58:33 PM

Try running an HDMI - DVI cable and see what that does. On my setup I was getting constant errors running my Geforce 550 SLI setup through a 42" Vizio using an HDMI adapter, and then I switched to using an HDMI - Mini HDMI cable and those errors disappeared.
Score
October 19, 2011 7:06:07 PM

swifty_morgan said:
can you change the refresh rate to 120 ?

No 60 seems to be the maximum. And I canýt seem to set up the TV seperately from the monitor. Because my monitor has a maximum Hz of 60, so does my tv... Also, I can't set it up so that my TV is my main screen, only the monitor allows for that.

g-unit1111 said:
Try running an HDMI - DVI cable and see what that does. On my setup I was getting constant errors running my Geforce 550 SLI setup through a 42" Vizio using an HDMI adapter, and then I switched to using an HDMI - Mini HDMI cable and those errors disappeared.

Thanks. I'll wait for bit and maybe give that a try. Don't want to go out getting any new cables just yet, but thanks very much for your reply.
Score
October 19, 2011 7:14:34 PM

my tv is a 720p monitor. when I hook up the HDMI from the video card to the tv ( HDMI/HDMI ) I go into the tv's control panel and select the ( in this my case ) the #4 HDMI adapter.

if you have your tv set as pc monitor instead of just selecting the HDMI slot that the machine is plugged into, this may be causing your problem.
Score
October 19, 2011 7:16:48 PM

swifty_morgan said:
my tv is a 720p monitor. when I hook up the HDMI from the video card to the tv ( HDMI/HDMI ) I go into the tv's control panel and select the ( in this my case ) the #4 HDMI adapter.

if you have your tv set as pc monitor instead of just selecting the HDMI slot that the machine is plugged into, this may be causing your problem.

I just duplicate the dektop to the tv (from the PC). The TV doesn't atomatically switch to HDMI when I do, I have to manually select HDMI to see it.
Score
October 19, 2011 7:31:56 PM

in the CCC...... DTV (DVI) 5/HDTV support
Score
October 19, 2011 7:40:43 PM

hanskleinenberg said:
No 60 seems to be the maximum. And I canýt seem to set up the TV seperately from the monitor. Because my monitor has a maximum Hz of 60, so does my tv... Also, I can't set it up so that my TV is my main screen, only the monitor allows for that.

Thanks. I'll wait for bit and maybe give that a try. Don't want to go out getting any new cables just yet, but thanks very much for your reply.

Check out Monoprice.com - they have cables like that for super cheap, I get nearly all my cables from there now.
Score
October 19, 2011 8:36:12 PM

swifty_morgan said:
in the CCC...... DTV (DVI) 5/HDTV support

I'm sorry, I don't understand this
Score
October 19, 2011 8:37:22 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Check out Monoprice.com - they have cables like that for super cheap, I get nearly all my cables from there now.

Hah, I'm Dutch so they'll probably be cheaper to get over here ;) 
Score
October 19, 2011 11:59:45 PM

I think that this may be a settings issue but if you have an extra hdmi cable you may want to try swapping it. Since it is just for testing you may just want to disconnect your Ps3.

Also try changing the resolution to something other than 720p, such as 1023x768 then move it to something higher 1280x1024
Score
October 20, 2011 1:48:15 AM

hanskleinenberg said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand this

Open up the CCC ( catalyst control center ). Look for DTV (DVI) 5. Click on the + sign to open the drop down menu. Look for HDTV Support. In the window at the right look for your TV and Resolution. My guess would be 1080p24 format from what I read up top in your post where you said you changed it from 24 to 60.

if you don't have the CCC installed, go to the AMD driver update site and download the latest driver SUITE. That will install the latest driver and the CCC.
Score
October 20, 2011 7:20:48 AM

Okay. Is everyone still using CCC? I've updated my Ati drivers recently (for Rage) and I'm using the AMD VISION control center. Or is CCC something different. Pardon for being a n00b about this but I thought that AVCC was the new version or something.

Anyway, that probably means that the menu options won't match though... But I'll still have a look and see if I can find anything about HDTV support.
Score
October 20, 2011 9:17:07 AM

I just came from the download site and downloaded the very latest driver suite. 11-9 is the one I down loaded. it has the CCC in it. If you don't have it I suggest you use the link, download the suite for your set up and run it. It has both fixes in it( for BC3 and Rage ).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ati%20drivers&so...
Score
October 20, 2011 9:57:53 AM

swifty_morgan said:
I just came from the download site and downloaded the very latest driver suite. 11-9 is the one I down loaded. it has the CCC in it. If you don't have it I suggest you use the link, download the suite for your set up and run it. It has both fixes in it( for BC3 and Rage ).

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=ati%20drivers&so...

Great Swifty, I will as soon as I can. Thanks a lot for your help so far!
Score
October 20, 2011 5:37:40 PM

Hmm I just remembered I won't be home over the weekend so I'll try after that. I'll keep you posted!
Score
October 25, 2011 7:55:14 AM

I contacted Asus last week and finally got a response.

The guy who answered me suggested

To remove all the drivers from the card in windows' safe mode
Remove the card from the motherboard
Put it back in and run a CMOS test (don't know what it is but apparrently I can find it in the Motherboard manual)
Reboot in normal mode and install the latest drivers
Reboot the system again after which it should be all roses from there.

Does anybody agree with him?

Because of this response I haven't tried just installing the latest drivers, Swifty. But I will get around to it.

Score
October 25, 2011 8:22:31 AM

leave things alone. go into the device manager, find card and uninstall the card from there. reboot machine. windows will find your card. let it do what it does. then install the new driver suite that you downloaded. what happens ?
Score
October 27, 2011 7:08:39 PM

swifty_morgan said:
leave things alone. go into the device manager, find card and uninstall the card from there. reboot machine. windows will find your card. let it do what it does. then install the new driver suite that you downloaded. what happens ?

Ok so, I went into windows safemode
uninstalled the card
rebooted in normal mode
downloaded and installed the latest drivers

No luck. No changes, it's still not possible to show a 1080 desktop on my tv. This is now getting increasingly frustrating...
Score
October 27, 2011 7:29:09 PM

in the CCC....... DTV/scaling options........put a check in the box and use the slider.
Score
October 27, 2011 7:59:26 PM

swifty_morgan said:
Open up the CCC ( catalyst control center ). Look for DTV (DVI) 5. Click on the + sign to open the drop down menu. Look for HDTV Support. In the window at the right look for your TV and Resolution. My guess would be 1080p24 format from what I read up top in your post where you said you changed it from 24 to 60.

if you don't have the CCC installed, go to the AMD driver update site and download the latest driver SUITE. That will install the latest driver and the CCC.

Well I didn't change it from 24 to 60, I just tried everything from 24 to 60.

The weird thing is, the tv sometimes shows 1080p24 in the upper left corner when switching over or duplicating the screen, but when it says 1080p24 it's still only 1280x720. Switching it manually on the computer to 1920x1080 makes the screen go black.

In the AMD vision control center, it says "My digital displays" on the left side (it's in Dutch for me so please pardon any mistakes).
When I click it and go to HDTV support (digital display), I can select all sorts of HDTV modes with checkboxes in front of them. It starts at "Add 720p60 to display (NTSC)" all the way over to "Add 1080p50 to display (PAL)" (1080p24 (HD) and 1080P60 (NTSC) are before that one).

(Description, translated by yours truly: These options are for displays for which incomplete or incorrect EDID information is reported. A classification that you select is added to the menu button "Force" in "Manage Displays".)

Also below those "options" are the "predefined and modified HDTV-settings" which apparently allow the user to add an modified/extra/personal setting if the digital screen is set up for 720p or 1080i as standard setting.

The only option being "1080p60 standard (1920x1080 @ 60Hz)"

(Description, translated by yours truly: If the digital display is set up for a 720p or 1080i standard setting and parts of the image are not visible, you can make a modified setting.

If you want to add a modified HDTV setting, you apply a 720p or 1080i standard setting, click "Add" and modify the rectangle until the background is only slightly visible.)

Does this all mean anything to you, Swifty? Maybe I should force 1080p60?
Score

Best solution

October 27, 2011 8:29:39 PM

earlier on you mentioned something about changing it from 24 to 60 so The first thing I would try is 1080p24, no ?

then you say this.......

If you want to add a modified HDTV setting, you apply a 720p or 1080i standard setting, click "Add" and modify the rectangle until the background is only slightly visible.)

so if the first doesn't work/1080p-24 the I would add the 720/1080 and modify the rectangle...... I assume the slider which should fill the screen for you.
October 27, 2011 10:00:17 PM

Hey Swifty, well great news, well, news.

I got 1080/24 on my tv! That's great. Slight issue though, because it's 24Hz the mouse has a lot of lag. But I guess that's a problem that can't be solved, as 60Hz results in an empty screen.
Score
October 27, 2011 10:12:31 PM

The 24Hz thing is pretty crappy. I started Rage and got a lot of screen tearing on the TV and none on the PC monitor. So 1080 Skyrim on 40" of goodness seems out of the question, right?

What also interests me is the fact that I can't seem to get the desktop only on the TV, I can only duplicate it, which I can imagine is pretty straining on my pc, to punch out to 1080 games. Or doesn't it work like that?

I'd like to add that I very very much appreciate your help so far. Thank you very much, Swifty.
Score
October 30, 2011 8:41:13 AM

i'm no guru at this stuff and really can't odder anymore advice. If I had it in front of me I could mess with it. Anyways, you can try forcing refresh rates and mess with the settings until you can find something that works better. I have a bravia and I can get what i need to make it work right........... and I think I actually did have to use the slider to scale to the actual screen size. Perhaps if you lower the res to 720p and go from there... ???.......... 720p with 60hz refresh rate....... see if that works............ or it just may be the tv only refreshes at 24hz and that's going to be that.

what if you called Sony ?
Score
October 30, 2011 10:49:22 AM

swifty_morgan said:
i'm no guru at this stuff and really can't odder anymore advice. If I had it in front of me I could mess with it. Anyways, you can try forcing refresh rates and mess with the settings until you can find something that works better. I have a bravia and I can get what i need to make it work right........... and I think I actually did have to use the slider to scale to the actual screen size. Perhaps if you lower the res to 720p and go from there... ???.......... 720p with 60hz refresh rate....... see if that works............ or it just may be the tv only refreshes at 24hz and that's going to be that.

what if you called Sony ?

Hey I understand and I'm glad you've helped me so far.
I did call Sony and they think, because my PS3 works fine, that it has something to do with my graphics card. Which kinda makes sense. I can still get a guy from Sony over here but if there's nothing wrong with my tv, than I still get a bill, so I was hoping it didn't have to come to that.
Score
October 30, 2011 10:50:03 AM

Best answer selected by hanskleinenberg.
Score
October 30, 2011 10:54:55 AM

if you look in the CCC there is a place where you have the option to force refresh rates. if it will work or not is another story, but well worth the try.
Score
October 30, 2011 11:25:51 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!