Sign in with
Your question

Very bad Win 8 performance on Asus F1A75-I Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
January 27, 2013 7:08:50 AM

Hi,

My hardware:

MB: F1A75-I Deluxe http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/F1A75I_DELUXE/#specific...
CPU: AMD A6-3500 http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/apu/mainstream/p...

Previously I used Windows 7 for more than a year. I purchased Win 8 Pro and did a clean install.

And now my PC performance is really bad:
- Boot time (till I see start menu) - 1 minute.
- Shutdown time - 2 minutes.
- Playback of blueray disks with XBMC - terrible. I see slideshow.
- Youtube playback anything more than 720p - also slideshow.
I hade no above problems with my Windows 7 installation. Non at all. PC was flying.

I did a clean Win 8 installation and latest AMD GPU drivers.

What could be a problem?

Asus doesn't have Win 8 drivers: http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/F1A75I_DELUXE/#support_...

I assume storage is something which impacts the performance. How to obtain chipset drivers? (no drivers in Asus support page).
I couldn't find "AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3)" chipset drivers elsewhere as well.

Please help. Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 7:46:33 AM

Have you tried installing drivers from the website of the component makers like Realtek for audio and Ethernet, intel for chipset and storage. Do you have a graphics card, and if you do have you installed the graphics card drivers?
m
l
January 27, 2013 8:46:44 AM

Have you tried installing the Windows 7 drivers?
m
l
Related resources
January 27, 2013 10:04:14 AM

kyllien said:
Have you tried installing the Windows 7 drivers?

What drivers to be precise?

- I can't install CHIPSET and SATA drivers from Asus because installer detects Win8 and says that this is unsupported OS.

- I installed latest VGA drivers from AMD (latest catalyst; no problem with that).

- AUDIO, LAN, BT, WIRELESS drivers were installed by Win8. And all those devices work perfectly. No problems with them.

- I flashed latest BIOS for my motherboard.

Somehow I feel that this is CHIPSET and SATA related.

m
l
January 27, 2013 10:48:28 AM

Xttony said:
Have you tried installing drivers from the website of the component makers like Realtek for audio and Ethernet, intel for chipset and storage. Do you have a graphics card, and if you do have you installed the graphics card drivers?

Hi,

I replied in my previous version. Can't install Realtek AUDIO and LAN drivers from Realtek page. Because those drivers are not available in their site. But those devices work perfectly. Don't have problems with them.

My MB has AMD chipset (not Intel). According the:http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/F1A75I_DELUXE/#specific... my MB has AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3) chipset. Can't install Win7 Chipset drivers because installer detects Win8 and fails.

I'm not sure I understand how AMD Chipset and Storage drivers are installed?
Are they available together with GPU drivers (aka Catalyst) or should I install them separately?

m
l
January 28, 2013 7:16:42 AM

HI,
Thanks! Tried that.

Seems that I solved the problem. AHCI was not enabled in BIOS. So no AMD SATA controller was detected and SATA controller drivers installed. After I enabled it, AMD catalyst drivers installed SATA controller perfectly.

But I still have some Windows 8 startup time issues.

All reviews say that W8 boots up faster than W7. I can't confirm that because in my case - it boots slower.

Still can't understand why. Will look for some tips how to tune W8 for faster boot.
m
l
January 28, 2013 9:30:45 AM

To reap the most benefit from Windows 8 boot times your need a new motherboard with an updated UEFI and a SSD drive.

Otherwise Windows 8 can still boot faster then Windows 7 due to the hybrid hybernate-shutdown process.
m
l
a c 471 V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
January 28, 2013 12:19:04 PM

bat0nas said:
Hi,

My hardware:

MB: F1A75-I Deluxe http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/F1A75I_DELUXE/#specific...
CPU: AMD A6-3500 http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/apu/mainstream/p...

Previously I used Windows 7 for more than a year. I purchased Win 8 Pro and did a clean install.

And now my PC performance is really bad:
- Boot time (till I see start menu) - 1 minute.
- Shutdown time - 2 minutes.
- Playback of blueray disks with XBMC - terrible. I see slideshow.
- Youtube playback anything more than 720p - also slideshow.
I hade no above problems with my Windows 7 installation. Non at all. PC was flying.

I did a clean Win 8 installation and latest AMD GPU drivers.

What could be a problem?

Asus doesn't have Win 8 drivers: http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/F1A75I_DELUXE/#support_...

I assume storage is something which impacts the performance. How to obtain chipset drivers? (no drivers in Asus support page).
I couldn't find "AMD A75 FCH (Hudson D3)" chipset drivers elsewhere as well.

Please help. Thanks.

1)AMD don't have any chipset drivers, they only have the GPU drivers. When you install the win8, the PC will use the microsoft ahci driver for the SATA ports.
2)From what see your PC boot up in 1min that is perfectly fine. Don't worry about it.
m
l
January 29, 2013 1:21:17 AM

bat0nas said:
HI,
Thanks! Tried that.

Seems that I solved the problem. AHCI was not enabled in BIOS. So no AMD SATA controller was detected and SATA controller drivers installed. After I enabled it, AMD catalyst drivers installed SATA controller perfectly.

But I still have some Windows 8 startup time issues.

All reviews say that W8 boots up faster than W7. I can't confirm that because in my case - it boots slower.

Still can't understand why. Will look for some tips how to tune W8 for faster boot.

Hi,

I've got the same board as you, I've just upgraded from Windows 7 to Window 8. My boot times are about the same as in Windows 7. I've got a SDD with AHCI enabled and it boots in about 20-25 seconds. Before I upgraded I installed the latest Catalyst drivers, guess what... windows 8 removed and replaced them with an older version. Also practically disabled AMD Vision Engine Control.

I also had a few problems with the ASUS AI Suite II. Even after running the suggested updated (suggested by windows 8 upgrade advisor). For some reason 'Fan Expert' would no longer control my chassis fan correctly. What I did was go on the ASUS website and download a Windows 8 compatible version using this boards drivers (which also runs on AMD A75 FCH Hudson D3 chipset with the same CPU support as ours): http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/F1A75M_PRO_R20/#specifi...

I would guess that all the other drivers such as chipset, AHCI driver etc will all work with our board. If you check the version numbers most appear to be the same as the drivers listed for our board except they are all Windows 8 compatible, so the installer should work with 8. The only one missing is the bluetooth driver.

Can I also ask you what AHCI driver you are currently using? Windows 8 installed this one in my system:

Standard SATA AHCI Controller, Driver Version: 6.2.9200.16384 dated 21/06/2006.

It seems to be working fine but like you've mentioned ASUS list an AMD AHCI driver for our board (With a Windows 7 installer). I'd rather be using something a bit more modern than 2006!! I might install the one from the ASUS website for the above board I mentioned but dont want to mess things up, although in therory it should be fine.

The only other problem I've got is I cant get my system to sleep! On the odd occassion it will sleep but 80% of the time it instantly springs back to life. I disabled Hibernate before upgrading to save some SDD space, which has correctly carried across to Windows 8. But since 8 uses a differnent sleep/hibernate process I'm thinking that might be the cause. It worked perfectly in Windows 7. Any Ideas?

Be good to hear how your getting on, these are great boards but I wish ASUS would add Windows 8 drivers to their support pages. Would save a lot of faffing around.

Cheers,

Andy.
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:02:46 AM

mightymidget88 said:
Hi,

I've got the same board as you, I've just upgraded from Windows 7 to Window 8. My boot times are about the same as in Windows 7. I've got a SDD with AHCI enabled and it boots in about 20-25 seconds. Before I upgraded I installed the latest Catalyst drivers, guess what... windows 8 removed and replaced them with an older version. Also practically disabled AMD Vision Engine Control.

I also had a few problems with the ASUS AI Suite II. Even after running the suggested updated (suggested by windows 8 upgrade advisor). For some reason 'Fan Expert' would no longer control my chassis fan correctly. What I did was go on the ASUS website and download a Windows 8 compatible version using this boards drivers (which also runs on AMD A75 FCH Hudson D3 chipset with the same CPU support as ours): http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/F1A75M_PRO_R20/#specifi...

I would guess that all the other drivers such as chipset, AHCI driver etc will all work with our board. If you check the version numbers most appear to be the same as the drivers listed for our board except they are all Windows 8 compatible, so the installer should work with 8. The only one missing is the bluetooth driver.

Can I also ask you what AHCI driver you are currently using? Windows 8 installed this one in my system:

Standard SATA AHCI Controller, Driver Version: 6.2.9200.16384 dated 21/06/2006.

It seems to be working fine but like you've mentioned ASUS list an AMD AHCI driver for our board (With a Windows 7 installer). I'd rather be using something a bit more modern than 2006!! I might install the one from the ASUS website for the above board I mentioned but dont want to mess things up, although in therory it should be fine.

The only other problem I've got is I cant get my system to sleep! On the odd occassion it will sleep but 80% of the time it instantly springs back to life. I disabled Hibernate before upgrading to save some SDD space, which has correctly carried across to Windows 8. But since 8 uses a differnent sleep/hibernate process I'm thinking that might be the cause. It worked perfectly in Windows 7. Any Ideas?

Be good to hear how your getting on, these are great boards but I wish ASUS would add Windows 8 drivers to their support pages. Would save a lot of faffing around.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Good to know that I'm not the only one with that motherboard :D 

I think I solved all my problems yesterday. Let me answer all your concerns.

I did a clean install (deleted W7 completely). Not an upgrade from W7 to W8. I'm not sure why W8 removed newest catalyst drivers in your case. I would have suggested to do a clean install. My W8 doesn't touch AMD drivers now :) 

I use this PC as HTPC. So I have a 1.5TB HDD (not a SDD). Haven't yet measured boot time in seconds, but now I'm very satisfied as I managed to install all drivers correctly. And W8 Hybrid shutdown or Fast startup (I guess it's the same) boots my PC almost instantly (faster than W7). And this is OK and I can't demand more from HDD. Without Fast startup enabled (in Power options) - boot time of W8 is longer than W7.

Here's how I installed my system:
- Install W8 from EFI ready USB stick.
- Disable HW I don't use (HD audio in BIOS, Blutooth and WIFI in W8 Device Manager).
- Install AMD Chipse Drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rai...
- Install AMD GPU drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...
- Run Windows Update several times
- Install my HTPC software (XBMC)

Have you installed W8 with EFI enabled? That didn't give me any boot advantage. BIOS POST time is still the same! Youtube videos demonstrate 2x faster POST times comparing to non EFI boot. I guess F1A75-I DELUXE is too dumb or fast enough already.

I don't use any of the ASUS software (FAN control or smth). So can't comment. Maybe I should use. Because I have 2 additional FANs installed to cool down my 3.5" HDD. Now my case has 5 fans (1x CPU, 3x case fans, 1 PSU). FAN control might reduce some noise maybe.

And finally - I don't use Suspend/Sleep/Hibernate. Because now.. after painful tests.. I'm happy with Windows 8 fast Startup (even with HDD).

Regarding SATA:

To change that "Standard SATA AHCI Controller, Driver Version: 6.2.9200.16384 dated 21/06/2006" to AMD SATA Controller, install AMD Chipset Drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rai...

m
l
January 30, 2013 5:19:46 AM

kyllien said:
To reap the most benefit from Windows 8 boot times your need a new motherboard with an updated UEFI and a SSD drive.

Otherwise Windows 8 can still boot faster then Windows 7 due to the hybrid hybernate-shutdown process.

In my case UEFI didn't make any effect at all. I bet EFI installation is made because in the BIOS Boot Section Boot Priority - Windows Boot Manager is a first choice.

Yes.. after some tests I can confirm that Hybrid Shytdown really works. Even with the HDD my systems boots up really fast (max 40 seconds from PC turning ON till Start Menu (I use autologon)).
m
l
January 30, 2013 5:21:57 AM

cin19 said:
1)AMD don't have any chipset drivers, they only have the GPU drivers. When you install the win8, the PC will use the microsoft ahci driver for the SATA ports.

Thanks.

Just a little correction: AMD GPU drivers don't have SATA drivers in them. I needed to download separate files:

- Install AMD Chipse Drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rai...
- Install AMD GPU drivers: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...
m
l
January 30, 2013 11:51:16 AM

bat0nas said:
Hi Andy,

Good to know that I'm not the only one with that motherboard :D 

I think I solved all my problems yesterday. Let me answer all your concerns.

I did a clean install (deleted W7 completely). Not an upgrade from W7 to W8. I'm not sure why W8 removed newest catalyst drivers in your case. I would have suggested to do a clean install. My W8 doesn't touch AMD drivers now :) 

I use this PC as HTPC. So I have a 1.5TB HDD (not a SDD). Haven't yet measured boot time in seconds, but now I'm very satisfied as I managed to install all drivers correctly. And W8 Hybrid shutdown or Fast startup (I guess it's the same) boots my PC almost instantly (faster than W7). And this is OK and I can't demand more from HDD. Without Fast startup enabled (in Power options) - boot time of W8 is longer than W7.

Here's how I installed my system:
- Install W8 from EFI ready USB stick.
- Disable HW I don't use (HD audio in BIOS, Blutooth and WIFI in W8 Device Manager).
- Run Windows Update several times
- Install my HTPC software (XBMC)

Have you installed W8 with EFI enabled? That didn't give me any boot advantage. BIOS POST time is still the same! Youtube videos demonstrate 2x faster POST times comparing to non EFI boot. I guess F1A75-I DELUXE is too dumb or fast enough already.

Thanks for your reply, yeah it is good to know there's someone else out there :-)

You mentioned EFI which has confused me a little, so I'm gonna sound a bit stupid, but doesn't out Motherboard only support a UEFI boot environments and therefore wont Windows 7/8 automatically install with EFI enabled? I Just assumed that because the F1A75-I uses an UEFI bios that Windows would automagically just use it! Was there something I needed to change in the BIOS prior?

Because I upgraded from Win-7 I never really had a chance to change much so just accepted the defaults, but is there an option in the BIOS (or in Windows installation setup) that needed to be change to ensure it installed with EFI enabled?

Guess I'm a bit stuffed now that it's already installed, but I just want to understand where I went wrong.

If for example I was to do a clean install of Win-8, formatted my HDD to GPT, then run setup, will Windows 8 setup automatically create all the necessary settings, EFI, MSR partitions or would I need to manually change anything first?

Once again thanks for your help,

Cheers, Andy.

m
l
January 30, 2013 12:23:18 PM

mightymidget88 said:
Thanks for your reply, yeah it is good to know there's someone else out there :-)

You mentioned EFI which has confused me a little, so I'm gonna sound a bit stupid, but doesn't out Motherboard only support a UEFI boot environments and therefore wont Windows 7/8 automatically install with EFI enabled? I Just assumed that because the F1A75-I uses an UEFI bios that Windows would automagically just use it! Was there something I needed to change in the BIOS prior?

Because I upgraded from Win-7 I never really had a chance to change much so just accepted the defaults, but is there an option in the BIOS (or in Windows installation setup) that needed to be change to ensure it installed with EFI enabled?

Guess I'm a bit stuffed now that it's already installed, but I just want to understand where I went wrong.

If for example I was to do a clean install of Win-8, formatted my HDD to GPT, then run setup, will Windows 8 setup automatically create all the necessary settings, EFI, MSR partitions or would I need to manually change anything first?

Once again thanks for your help,

Cheers, Andy.

Hi. I'm not sure how you installed Windows 7 in the first place and how the upgrade was done.

But I can assure you that official MS position - MBR conversion to GPT can be done only on the empty HDD/SSD (all partitions deleted). So if you had MBR disk - upgrade from W7 to W8 didn't convert it to GPT.

If you will do a clean W8 install from DVD to an empty disk, W8 will automatically convert it to GPT and create all the needed partitions.

If you install from USB - you need to make UEFI USB memory stick (there are guides in the Internet). Normal installation from USB won't create an EFI installation. During USB EFI installation on an empty disk - W8 installer created 4 partitions for me. Also after the install in the BIOS BOOT section I can see that Boot priority #1 is "Windows boot loader". So I guess it's an UEFI thing. Because normally computer boots from hard disk and not "Windows boot loader".

m
l
January 30, 2013 2:42:56 PM

bat0nas said:
Hi. I'm not sure how you installed Windows 7 in the first place and how the upgrade was done.

But I can assure you that official MS position - MBR conversion to GPT can be done only on the empty HDD/SSD (all partitions deleted). So if you had MBR disk - upgrade from W7 to W8 didn't convert it to GPT.

If you will do a clean W8 install from DVD to an empty disk, W8 will automatically convert it to GPT and create all the needed partitions.

If you install from USB - you need to make UEFI USB memory stick (there are guides in the Internet). Normal installation from USB won't create an EFI installation. During USB EFI installation on an empty disk - W8 installer created 4 partitions for me. Also after the install in the BIOS BOOT section I can see that Boot priority #1 is "Windows boot loader". So I guess it's an UEFI thing. Because normally computer boots from hard disk and not "Windows boot loader".

Thanks again,

been doing a bit or research since my last post and your correct if I want EFI enabled with full fastboot features then I need to do clean install. Apparently If the SSD contains MBT then I'd need to convert the whole disk to GPT using diskpart prior to installing W8. Also in our F1A75-I BIOS and there is an option to enable UEFI for Windows compatible OS's under 'Secure Boot' menu which needs to be changed before installing. Didn't see that before :-)

m
l
January 30, 2013 4:52:11 PM

mightymidget88 said:
Thanks again,

been doing a bit or research since my last post and your correct if I want EFI enabled with full fastboot features then I need to do clean install. Apparently If the SSD contains MBT then I'd need to convert the whole disk to GPT using diskpart prior to installing W8. Also in our F1A75-I BIOS and there is an option to enable UEFI for Windows compatible OS's under 'Secure Boot' menu which needs to be changed before installing. Didn't see that before :-)

Maybe I am blind, but I can't find the "Secure boot" menu in my BIOS.
Where is it?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
January 30, 2013 5:20:44 PM

I recommend against enabling "secure boot". It is a lousy idea and will really hurt if you need to try to recover your computer.
m
l
January 30, 2013 8:43:45 PM

smeezekitty said:
I recommend against enabling "secure boot". It is a lousy idea and will really hurt if you need to try to recover your computer.

I cant enable nor disable secure boot.
Because I can't find that setting in F1A75-I DELUXE BIOS.

Any ideas where in the menus of BIOS I must look for it. Andy?
m
l
January 31, 2013 1:22:10 PM

Install windows 7 again? Windblows h8 is the worst OS in history and will have problems like you are having.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b \ Driver
January 31, 2013 5:05:08 PM

johndan102496 said:
Install windows 7 again? Windblows h8 is the worst OS in history and will have problems like you are having.

LOL agree.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 7:06:51 AM

johndan102496 said:

You took the words right out of my mouth.
I think why make a desktop version of windows 8 when windows 7 is a fine operating system. Also win 8 was made aiming to the tablet devices.
m
l
February 1, 2013 9:25:26 AM

I don't agree with you.
I just had some issues installing W8. But not because W8 is wrong. But I just didn't have enough competence and experience doing that.

I have W8 in two home computers already. And I'm really satisfied with that. Really don't know why I shouldn't love that OS.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2013 9:50:56 AM

Just ask yourself this question- what is wrong with windows 7? If your answer is nothing then ask - why do I need another OS that I have to pay $100 for and has nothing over windows 7 that a average user can use in real life? Also I'd like o point out that windows 7 updates itself so there are a very few things (that are really new) windows 8 has in extra.
Also when I installed windows 8 I met with a lot of driver issues first with the AMD 4000 series drivers
m
l
!