Laptop cpu upgrade? compatible processor list?

G

I have this laptop; Toshiba Satelite L550 1CC, currently has pentium dual core t4400 2.2ghz, and i think Socket P, im looking to upgrade this to perhaps a 3ghz dual core, or maybe a quad core of at least the same speed. Any body know compatible cpus? Ive looked about and cant really find anywhere that will say which ones are compatible :/

Thanks in advance :)

G

Thanks, but how do i know if my laptop will recognise the cpu properly? And it requires more watts than the one in it right now, will my motherboard give it the right power?

laircouk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Matt, please listen...

Most laptop today and before that, they are all soldered onto the motherboard. Therefore, it's not upgradable... :(
But, if you have a high-end gaming / engineering laptop, then there is a chance that you can upgrade GPUs & CPU, not just Memory and HDD / SSD.

G

This laptop is socketed, not soldered, i checked... The gpu cant be upgraded but i dont need that, i use video rendering programs which only use cpu, and not graphics

laircouk

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Then check your power-supply Wattage and the processor Wattage. If it's over the limit, then you can't upgrade your laptop...

G

Im fine with cooling, its a rated 95w cooling setup (upgraded) and the core 2 qwuad can output max up 75~w (i think)

G

Its got a 120w power supply, battery can supply 100w (only lasts 20mins tho) but im not runing it on battery anyway :) and its Socket P.

G

Im getting a core 2 quad extreme 2.5ghz... If it works im happy, if not, well i can always send it back :) wish me luck and ill let you know soon :)

ValkyrieStar

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Hi there, unfortunately it did not. However instead i managed to get myself a Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 (3.06GHz) which worked great. Then slowly my laptop started dying, not caused by the CPU tho, touchpad broke, keyboard wore out, buttons stopped working etc. Got a new laptop, i3 2.5ghz broadwell and its about 3x faster. not to mention the integrated iris gpu trashes the built in old gma graphics with a walk in the park. i achieve playable framerates at low-med settings 720p.

HomeR365

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Hey I'm glad to hear you at least got the T9900 to work, but that's too bad the machine started dying. We're still using our Toshiba as a daily driver, but we use external everything. I just migrated to an SSD and added some ram which I know most would oppose, but it's very cheap because of the age of the technology.

Was wondering if you would be interested in giving the CPU a new home. I could pay shipping and buy you a few cups of coffee? PM me if you're interested. Cheers

ValkyrieStar

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015

Hi, unfortunately i am using the old laptop for a gameserver, the 3.06ghz dual cores and 6 gigs of ram in it actually serves well. Albeit without a keyboard or touchpad now haha, but those arent really needed for a headless server as i manage everything by ssd. I still have that 2 ghz quad core Qsomething cpu around somewhere though, if thats of any use?

HomeR365

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Hey that's cool. I think it's awesome that you still use it. Don't worry about the stock cpu, ours is still in good shape. I just bought a new 24" screen and I just want a bit more power to stream 1080p youtube videos without breaking the bank. Could be time to build something new anyway. Thanks for writing back!