Wearable computer build! All modders comment welcome!

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I have been around for a good little while, doing crazy builds and neat electronics projects. I was wondering if yu guys could give some suggestions as to the next crazy build. Now listen up I dont just mean as in the hardware because I could give hoot less if it had a K62 in it I just really want some off the wall themes for the build. Wether it is shielded jacobs lader case or otherwise I want to hear what you guy would like to see. I have built Pc's into desks, cars, a four wheeler, walls, a recliner, a couch, a motorcycle, an atache briefcase, i even had one built into my coffee table with a big touch screen. Now Im looking for something not so common even more than the ones Ive described. No modded cases - BORING- NO regular builds period. Something new! Something exciting! Something Crazy! .... WATCHA GOT!?!?!?!

G

death star, ceiling mounted, a wall piece, inside a refrigerator, toaster with HDDs and optical drive that come out of bread slots, in back pack form for easy lan parties, submerged in a fish tank with live fish, doctor who themed as a dalek or police call box, lawn mower, mail box,

Integrated computer system to your clothes, with HMD helmet and mic and cam to record sound and image of surroundings. Controlled by a smart phone. Ultra low power. Dynamo recharge when running (up and down motion when running), solar if possible. GPS and 3G is a must. Don't have to play Crysis, but runs window and can play HD 1080p fluently.

Post photo after you build. I want to see the awesome build. I step closer to a full Nanosuit.

You will need SSD and passive cooling. I think it would be based on AMD E series on mini-ITX mobo. Put the mobo on the front of body and battery pack on outer side of upper leg. Attach them to body like armour.

Back of mobo points up so you can reach most of the USB port, etc easily. The power connected to the battery needs to be secured with screw.

I think the most challenge bit is to make it work on battery. Certainly there will be no PSU in the build. You will have to get some laptop part for that solution. I have no clue how to wire it. I think you may be able to figure it out.

For HMD, you have to find an old camcorder and take out the "tube" bit where you look at what you are recording (it is basically a mini CRT screen with a magnifying glasses) and connect it to RCA for screen. <that bit I know. I made an attempt to make a wearable computer but decide to abandon it due to too much hurdle to go through. I also don't think I am as skilful as you are in modding. May be a collaborative effort (everyone in the forum), we may be able to make one!!

May be change the title of the thread to like:

Crazy wearable computer build! All modders comment welcome!

So we have more brains working on this. It would be so cool for the forum to have a signature build. Definitely beats every other forum if the attempt is successful.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
So im thinking maybe using glasses as the display for this device. Im not sure about using a so called smart phone for control Maybe an android device or dissecting a Galaxy S2 and using it (if the phone would be the computer). It would make sense to come up with a specialized controller.

Just a start to the component list

The Vuzix Corp Wrap 920 Video Eyewear, 67"" Screen as seen from 10 feet, displays crystal clear 2D and 3D video with support for standard 2D movies as well as virtually all common 3D video formats. Vuzix' Wrap 920 eyewear connects to all NTSC or PAL audio/video devices with video-out capabilities and composite video connections. An included Composite A/V Adapter for iPod/iPhone ensures simple plug 'n play connection to today's most popular portable media player. Optional Wrap Adaptors provide connections to HDMI equipped devices and even desktop PC and laptops

Wrp920.jpg

FXI Technologies thumbdrive android computer, internally dubbed "Cotton Candy" would be a good start on controller.

fxi-technologies.jpg

Quad Core ARM® Mali™-400MP Graphics Processing Unit
– Quad-core ARM Mali-400MP 720p / 1080p OpenGL ES v2.0
– 30M Polygons, 1.2 GPixels / s
ARM® Cortex™-A9@1.2GHz
– NEON extensions
– TrustZone extensions
Connectivity
Wifi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
Memory
1GB DRAM
Up to 64GB memory local storage (microSD)
Software
– Android
– Ubuntu
– Virtualization client for Windows, Linux, Mac, embedded
Video / Audio / Media Support
– 480p/720p/1080p decode of MPEG4-SP/H.263/H.264 AVC/MPEG-2/VC1
– MP3, AAC, AAC+, Real Audio
– JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG
– Additional video, audio and image formats can be supported through 3rd party codecs
Connectors
– USB 2.0 male form factor for power and connection to devices that supports USB mass storage
– HDMI 2.1 with audio for connection to devices that does not support USB mass storage

User interface accomplished by Voice command over Bluetooth and BT connection to smart phone to use touch screen as a game controller or mouse/input device.

Take All three devices and eclipse them into one housing as glasses. Now all we need is power.
Any suggestions?

king_maliken

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
You could run a bunch of cell phone batteries in parallel. Maybe even have a helmet with solar panels on it just for fun. However Idk what your power requirements are or even what voltage it needs to supply it, however a cell phone battery, or lithium batteries out of power tools or even (certain) laptop batteries would work (I specify these ones because they are all fairly light and efficient. But seriously power should not be too hard, it just might run out of juice fast though.

Agreeing with Pyree, I have no clue what that USB drive computer requires to be operational.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
OK the thumb drive is basically a galaxy s2 without a screen. it the device is self contained and does not need a pc for use. It only needs power via USB and a screen via the glasses I posted earlier. My thoughts were to dismantle the thumb drive and glasses and fabricate the two together in one housing. I am looking into light wieght batteries at the moment for use in this project. I have contacted the manufacturer of the thumb drive to inquire about the device and its availability fir use in this prototype. I am also looking for alternative devices like the cotten candy thumb drive. If anyone should find one please let me know ASAP. Yesterday I ordered the glasses and should receive them in about 2 weeks. I need some batteries and a few more pieces. A good friend of mine is helping with the software for the android OS to make a link between a phone and the glasses for use as a controller. BTW if you would have read thepost containing the specs and requirements of the thumb drive. You would have known what they were.