650W enough to power this system?

Brendy

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone that helped me decide in the first thread. I decided to create a new thread so I wouldn't derail that last one.

I've settled on everything but a power supply for this build. I had thought of buying a Corsair TX-650W V2 power supply but I decided on getting a water cooling unit so I'm not sure if it'll cut it anymore. Here's my build:

CPU: Core i5 2500K
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
Graphics card: MSI GeForce GTX 580 Twin Frozr II Overclocked
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
Hard drives: 2x 1TB 7200 RPM hard drives, 1x Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD
Cooling: Corsair H100
Fans: 2x120mm fans (come with the H100), 3x140mm fans included with the case
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mid Tower

I'd prefer to keep the power supply as low power as possible so I'm not wasting a lot of power when the computer is idle (which will be more often than full load) but obviously don't want to damage anything or cause system instability with too little power.

Brendy

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
This is where I got the initial power supply wattage from. I want to know if this is enough to power the H100 (I can't find the power consumption of the H100 as a whole, only it's two fans) as well as my other components and leave a little headroom for overclocking. In the last thread I was told that 650W would leave room to overclock but I've changed some components.

Brendy

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
That's good, thanks everyone.
Finally, is water cooling excessive for this build? I'm not sure if I'll overclock right away (not until my warranty is over, most likely) but the ambient temperatures in the room can reach 30-35 degrees Celsius and is above 25 on a semi-regular basis. Will an air cooler be enough?