Phenom x 4 9560 in am2 socket motherboard?

jbirch06

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hello,

I am new to this forum but i am desperately seeking some help regarding tips or tricks on how to get an AMD Phenom x4 to work in a ECS-MCP61PM-AM Motherboard....

The Cpu was given to me from a friend and the both of us installed it to the board and fired on the computer, however upon boot, i got nothing over my monitor, even though everything else (video card, fans, hard drives) were operating...

We even felt the cpu for heat to make sure it was getting electric and it was indeed doing so.

Im thinking maybe i need to update my bios so my motherboard knows that it can support am2+ processors even though it is an am2 socket???

PLEASE HELP!! This is driving me insane...

loneninja

Distinguished
There is no such thing as a 9560 so I'll assume you meant either 9550 or 9650.

A quick google search of that motherboard and it seems to be an OEM board out of a gateway computer, the best bet to find a new BIOS for it is on gateways website looking for the specific computer model rather than motherboard model.

The black screen most likely means that the BIOS doesn't recognize the processor, and although AMD made them backwards compatible, few PC manufacturers update their BIOS to support new processors.

cylemmulo

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
If it is out of a prebuilt there is a good chance that there won't be a AM2+ bios update but i would definitely look for any bios update. If that doesn't fix it then it most likely just clearly won't support AM2+. If you really want it I would just drop some money on a cheap AM2+ board, you should be able to find them really cheap especially if its a used one or something.

jbirch06

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Yeah i realized i had the number wrong after i posted the thread... there is a bios update from 2010, so im going to try that, and hope it works. if not i might just buy a am2+ mobo... the processor is still good, so why 300$+ on a new configuration.

jbirch06

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

It is a prebuilt system that i tweaked here and there (new psu, gpu, ram, hd, couple of case fan mods)... it runs awesome still (going on 5years old) but I wanna squeeze some more life out of it.