Sign in with
Your question

Will a Gigabyte ga-945gcmx-s2 mobo work in either a Dell Dimension 840

Last response: in Motherboards
January 27, 2013 2:15:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I am being offer a Gigabyte GA-945GCMX-S2 motherboard w/ an Intel core 2 duo for $50, but the only cases I have in my house right now are a Dell Dimension 8400 & Dell Optiplex GX110. Will this mobo fit either case and will I need to get another power supply?
a c 435 V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 2:46:14 PM

The gigabyte board should fit if you have the standard removable standoffs or bumps on your dell case and enough screws to secure the board. You only need 4-6 of the mounting holes secured and the backplate square. I don't know if your dell backplate is fixed permanently on the case or removable. Check the dell power supply specs; if the main board connector is either 20 or 24 pin, then it should work. The 305 watt dell power supply should be adequate for onboard video or a low end video card, such as my nvidia 210. If not, newegg has a great deal right now on this antec ps: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HC9CFG/ref=pd_lpo_.... This ps has no power cable included, but your old one should work fine. Newegg has this same power supply for $30 after rebate, but my link is broken.
m
l
!