Phenom ii x4 955 to i5 2500k a good upgrade?

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hello everyone. My birthday is coming up and I am able to upgrade something in my computer. My ram is good (8gb ddr3 @1600) and my gpu is god (gtx 560 ti) but I believe my current weakest link is my cpu, a phenom ii x4 that I have oc'd to 3.9 mhz. So I want to upgrade that, but before I spend any money I want to make sure I am making the correct decision.

So, in the expert opinion of Tom's Hardware, is going from the phenom to a i5 2500k a reasonable upgrade? I will be using it mainly for gaming, and I really cant afford to spend any more than what the i5 currently costs since I will have to get a new mobo also. I also think I heard that, for gaming, the i5 is better than the i7? Just wondering. Thanks for your answers!

For gaming the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is about the best processor on the market. The reason why is that there are very few games that can take advantage of more than 4 threads and those that do give so little performance increase that it doesn't matter much. So extra cores or hyper-threading end up having minimal value in a gaming system.

This should give you an idea on how these processor would stack up against each other http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=288

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Thanks a lot, seems like it would be a solid upgrade.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
wait for Ivy and not Sandy but it's a good upgrade.

Any idea when the Ivys will be coming out? I heard march or april but I am not sure if that is out dated info. Also, do you have any guess if the price point will be around what the 2500k is now? I ask because if they are more expensive, then I might as well get the sandy bridge since I can't afford to pay any more right now.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Well, I guess I will wait to see if the ivys are ready for release next month, if not I may go for the sandy bridge. My cpu is the only thing I am interested in upgrading at the moment.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
It's not so much that the money is burning a hole in my pocket, but the main game I play, WoW, is very cpu dependent, so while, overall, it may not be a huge upgrde over the phenom, in WoW it probably will be since the cpu is your biggest factor in fps there. My goal is to have better fps during raids, which are probably the most cpu intensive activity you can do in WoW.

G

Have you checked the task manager when your playing, is cpu usage at 100%?.