Local Area Connection icon

Since I download XP SP2, I now have a double computer icon
with a small moving yellow ball on it. I have gone into
the taskbar properties and clicked on "Always hide", but
it keeps coming back!!! I tried to disable it, but that
disables my DSL modem. I did not have this icon problem
before the upgrade to SP2, so I am assuming that this has
something to do with it. Does anyone know how to
completely get rid of this icon? Thanks, Donna ;o)

Hi Donna,

That specific icon should only be seen for sometime as the Windows XP tries to get network information when you connect
to a network. It should be gone after that and you should be presented with the normal icon with two blinking computers
which represents that you are connected to a network.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0f6001c48bc3$d9e73b70$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Since I download XP SP2, I now have a double computer icon
> with a small moving yellow ball on it. I have gone into
> the taskbar properties and clicked on "Always hide", but
> it keeps coming back!!! I tried to disable it, but that
> disables my DSL modem. I did not have this icon problem
> before the upgrade to SP2, so I am assuming that this has
> something to do with it. Does anyone know how to
> completely get rid of this icon? Thanks, Donna ;o)

Hi Anando,
That would be ok with me, but the icon shows up as soon as
my destop comes up, when I am not connected, not
connecting and it NEVER leaves, even when I am connected
to the internet. I just minimized my screen to make sure,
and it is there right next to my normal icon for when I am
connected (Two computers). I have just one computer, and I
connect through Verizon DSL. As I said before, if I
disable the icon, it disables my modem. I have had the DSL
for at least 6 months, and never had this icon before.
Thanks again, Donna

Hi,

If the icon in question is the one with a 'revolving ball', then I have a few suggestions:

1) You might want to look for updated drivers for your network adapter

2) Do you have a second network card installed (like a wireless card) ? If so, then it might be trying to connect to
some wireless network in range (for example your neighbour's)

If these do not help, then i am out of ideas, sorry. Good luck !

--

"Donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1a9801c48c8c$9f05e410$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi Anando,
> That would be ok with me, but the icon shows up as soon as
> my destop comes up, when I am not connected, not
> connecting and it NEVER leaves, even when I am connected
> to the internet. I just minimized my screen to make sure,
> and it is there right next to my normal icon for when I am
> connected (Two computers). I have just one computer, and I
> connect through Verizon DSL. As I said before, if I
> disable the icon, it disables my modem. I have had the DSL
> for at least 6 months, and never had this icon before.
> Thanks again, Donna

Anando,
Yes, the icon is the one with a 'revolving ball'. I tried
to update my driver for the Westell DSL modem, but it said
that I had the most recent drivers installed, and I do not
have a second network card installed. As I said earlier,
this only happened once I downloaded XP SP2. Is there
anyone else having this problem that could help?
Donna