Budget case suggestions

This will be for a new build in the next few months (depending or whether I decide to wait for Ivy Bridge).

CPU: i5-2550K, w/ CM 212 EVO

GPU: Radeon 7870

Need a good mid-tower case, doesn't need to be flashy. Kind of like the Thermaltake V3, or the Dokker (though I really don't need the HDD dock.

Something with room for cable management and good airflow, w/o a lot of noise. Prefer a relatively clean look;

would really like to keep the price under $75 (the target for the build is ~$1300.
12 answers Last reply
More about budget case suggestions
  1. I don't remember if the CM690 is a mid-tower case but I've heard pretty good things about it
  2. Go for an i5 2400 and up your budget on the case to $100 and get a Fractal Design Define R3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352016

Or you around your budget:
    Corsair 300R: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139011
    Antec Gaming Series One: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129181
  3. I just built a budget gamer with a Thermaltake V3 case. Not bad for the price, but precious little cable management. Very little room behind the right side cover.

My main case is a HAF 912. Not too expensive and great cable management. But bigger than the V3. And... like all CoolerMaster cases... built well.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf%20912 (has a video demo)
  4. Corsair 300R or BitFenix Shinobi. Both feature more than you can expect for a low budget case.
  5. whatsthatnoise said:
    Corsair 300R or BitFenix Shinobi. Both feature more than you can expect for a low budget case.

Corsair 300R: I like that case.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139011

A bit above the OP's price limit, but still economical. A tad smaller than my HAF 912. I wonder what gauge the steel is?
  6. The 300R on Newegg is $69.99 after mail-in rebate.

No idea what gauge the steel is, but it's about the same weight like a HAF 912. :)
  7. Antec 600 or similar
  8. clutchc said:
    ...My main case is a HAF 912... ...like all CoolerMaster cases... built well...

Almost every CM case I ever bought had minor, mostly fixable quality issues like untapped screw holes or misaligned panels. So no, they were not built well. I switched to Rosewill cases at the low end, and NONE of the 6-7 different models I ever bought had ANY of those issues.
    What's worse, I then learned from HardwareSecrets reviews that many of their PSUs still have liar-labels on them, or claim protection circuits that are in fact missing. That is dishonest, so regardless of quality, IMHO they don't deserve anyone's business anyway.
    As for well-built cases, it is hard to beat Lian Li, although they are expensive. At the low end, I've been very happy with Rosewill. Moving up a little, the Antec Sonata III case I used for my wife's build is as solid as they come. I have an Enermax Hoplite that I like for all its drive mounting options.
  9. Zalman z9 plus...

Great Looks. Enough room for cable management. Great cooling. Small and not heavy. Only trouble might be fitting large gpu's so check this on the description.

I got it for $69 bucks doing a build last year.
  10. Onus said:
    Almost every CM case I ever bought had minor, mostly fixable quality issues like untapped screw holes or misaligned panels. So no, they were not built well. I switched to Rosewill cases at the low end, and NONE of the 6-7 different models I ever bought had ANY of those issues.
    What's worse, I then learned from HardwareSecrets reviews that many of their PSUs still have liar-labels on them, or claim protection circuits that are in fact missing. That is dishonest, so regardless of quality, IMHO they don't deserve anyone's business anyway.
    As for well-built cases, it is hard to beat Lian Li, although they are expensive. At the low end, I've been very happy with Rosewill. Moving up a little, the Antec Sonata III case I used for my wife's build is as solid as they come. I have an Enermax Hoplite that I like for all its drive mounting options.

I've had Lian-Li. You are correct. They are top tier. But I think your experience with Coolermaster is an odd exception. I have built several budget systems for many folks with mid-range CM cases. None had the issues you mentioned. I have also built with Rosewill case. While I have no issues with them for the price, they were inferior to the CM cases in my opinion.
  11. hotthree said:
    Zalman z9 plus...

Great Looks. Enough room for cable management. Great cooling. Small and not heavy. Only trouble might be fitting large gpu's so check this on the description.

I got it for $69 bucks doing a build last year.

Yeah that's a good one as well. :)
  12. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna go with the Corsair 300R. Clean look, good space, and USB 3.0 support.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases Components Product