Sign in with
Your question

Budget case suggestions

Last response: in Components
March 21, 2012 6:23:34 PM

This will be for a new build in the next few months (depending or whether I decide to wait for Ivy Bridge).

CPU: i5-2550K, w/ CM 212 EVO

GPU: Radeon 7870

Need a good mid-tower case, doesn't need to be flashy. Kind of like the Thermaltake V3, or the Dokker (though I really don't need the HDD dock.

Something with room for cable management and good airflow, w/o a lot of noise. Prefer a relatively clean look;

would really like to keep the price under $75 (the target for the build is ~$1300.
March 21, 2012 7:06:05 PM

I don't remember if the CM690 is a mid-tower case but I've heard pretty good things about it
m
l
Related resources
a c 145 ) Power supply
March 21, 2012 7:47:25 PM

I just built a budget gamer with a Thermaltake V3 case. Not bad for the price, but precious little cable management. Very little room behind the right side cover.

My main case is a HAF 912. Not too expensive and great cable management. But bigger than the V3. And... like all CoolerMaster cases... built well.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (has a video demo)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 21, 2012 11:34:40 PM

Corsair 300R or BitFenix Shinobi. Both feature more than you can expect for a low budget case.
m
l
a c 145 ) Power supply
March 22, 2012 1:01:12 AM

whatsthatnoise said:
Corsair 300R or BitFenix Shinobi. Both feature more than you can expect for a low budget case.

Corsair 300R: I like that case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A bit above the OP's price limit, but still economical. A tad smaller than my HAF 912. I wonder what gauge the steel is?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 22, 2012 1:06:51 AM

The 300R on Newegg is $69.99 after mail-in rebate.

No idea what gauge the steel is, but it's about the same weight like a HAF 912. :) 
m
l
March 22, 2012 1:32:00 AM

Antec 600 or similar
m
l
a c 121 ) Power supply
March 22, 2012 1:32:46 AM

clutchc said:
...My main case is a HAF 912... ...like all CoolerMaster cases... built well...

Almost every CM case I ever bought had minor, mostly fixable quality issues like untapped screw holes or misaligned panels. So no, they were not built well. I switched to Rosewill cases at the low end, and NONE of the 6-7 different models I ever bought had ANY of those issues.
What's worse, I then learned from HardwareSecrets reviews that many of their PSUs still have liar-labels on them, or claim protection circuits that are in fact missing. That is dishonest, so regardless of quality, IMHO they don't deserve anyone's business anyway.
As for well-built cases, it is hard to beat Lian Li, although they are expensive. At the low end, I've been very happy with Rosewill. Moving up a little, the Antec Sonata III case I used for my wife's build is as solid as they come. I have an Enermax Hoplite that I like for all its drive mounting options.
m
l
March 22, 2012 1:44:08 AM

Zalman z9 plus...

Great Looks. Enough room for cable management. Great cooling. Small and not heavy. Only trouble might be fitting large gpu's so check this on the description.

I got it for $69 bucks doing a build last year.
m
l
a c 145 ) Power supply
March 22, 2012 1:44:53 AM

Onus said:
Almost every CM case I ever bought had minor, mostly fixable quality issues like untapped screw holes or misaligned panels. So no, they were not built well. I switched to Rosewill cases at the low end, and NONE of the 6-7 different models I ever bought had ANY of those issues.
What's worse, I then learned from HardwareSecrets reviews that many of their PSUs still have liar-labels on them, or claim protection circuits that are in fact missing. That is dishonest, so regardless of quality, IMHO they don't deserve anyone's business anyway.
As for well-built cases, it is hard to beat Lian Li, although they are expensive. At the low end, I've been very happy with Rosewill. Moving up a little, the Antec Sonata III case I used for my wife's build is as solid as they come. I have an Enermax Hoplite that I like for all its drive mounting options.

I've had Lian-Li. You are correct. They are top tier. But I think your experience with Coolermaster is an odd exception. I have built several budget systems for many folks with mid-range CM cases. None had the issues you mentioned. I have also built with Rosewill case. While I have no issues with them for the price, they were inferior to the CM cases in my opinion.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 22, 2012 1:51:57 AM

hotthree said:
Zalman z9 plus...

Great Looks. Enough room for cable management. Great cooling. Small and not heavy. Only trouble might be fitting large gpu's so check this on the description.

I got it for $69 bucks doing a build last year.

Yeah that's a good one as well. :) 
m
l
May 4, 2012 5:44:50 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna go with the Corsair 300R. Clean look, good space, and USB 3.0 support.
m
l
!