Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
For gaming purposes a (stock) Phenom II X4 975 is better than a Phenom II X6. Most games only use 2 cores, some use 4 cores, and I think I've heard of one or two actually utilize more than 4 cores. Since you already unlocked a core and overclocked to 3.6GHz which is the equivalent of a Phenom II X4 975 I see no reason to downgrade (less clock speed at stock). As a note, I'm assuming you are running a Phenom II X3, not an Athlon II X3. The only difference between the two lines is the lack of L3 cache in the Athlon series.

As for the 6950, that would be a worthwhile upgrade over your current GPU and I wouldn't worry about CPU bottlenecking the GPU.

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
For gaming purposes a (stock) Phenom II X4 975 is better than a Phenom II X6. Most games only use 2 cores, some use 4 cores, and I think I've heard of one or two actually utilize more than 4 cores. Since you already unlocked a core and overclocked to 3.6GHz which is the equivalent of a Phenom II X4 975 I see no reason to downgrade (less clock speed at stock). As a note, I'm assuming you are running a Phenom II X3, not an Athlon II X3. The only difference between the two lines is the lack of L3 cache in the Athlon series.

As for the 6950, that would be a worthwhile upgrade over your current GPU and I wouldn't worry about CPU bottlenecking the GPU.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.