Sign in with
Your question
Solved

COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II

Last response: in Components
March 21, 2012 8:29:36 PM

I have a short problem with this case and Cool Master has sent me another top panel to fix the issue, i hope. This problem has been driving me crazy and my question is, while i am replacing the top panel is there anything else i can do to help ground the top panel. I have heard somewhere that scraping away the black paint on the inside somewhere would help the problem with grounding. If so where or what should i remove the paint from. Thank You

More about : cooler master 692 kkn2 cm690

a c 162 ) Power supply
March 25, 2012 11:20:38 PM

I don't understand your concern with the grounding issue. Does the top panel attach with screws? If so, they will provide all the continuity to case ground for the top panel (if it's metal) that you need. The USB, mic/headphone, and eSATA ports will be grounded through their cables. The fan doesn't need grounding; but one of its wires is chassis ground. What kind of 'short problem' were you having?
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:55:52 PM

The case has some sort of a issue with a short problem. This case is known for having this problem, but only on very few of them and i just happen to be one of them with this problem. The computer will freeze up and i have to restart to unfreeze it. Sometimes i can run my fingers across the top of the case where the usb ports are and it will unfreeze and sometimes i can plug a thumb drive into the top panel and it will unfreeze and sometimes i have to restart it. The top panel with the usb ports and e-sata are built into the top panel. It has a wire that you screw to the case for grounding but i guess that it not enough. There is no paint where you put the ground wire to the case and i changed out the painted screw and used another screw that had no paint on it but that did not help. Thanks for any help. Cooler Master is really slow about resolving this issue, i have emailed and called but nothing has been resolved yet.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 162 ) Power supply
April 4, 2012 2:17:22 PM

Far be it for me to question Cooler Master, but it sounds like you have an ESD* issue more than anything. I've never heard of the 'known issue' you speak of pertaining to any CM case. But a common problem with getting your fingers anywhere near external I/O ports on a case is *electrostatic discharge. Your body can build up a charge over time, and when you reach for your USB, Headphone, Mic... ports etc., the ESD can pass to the board's delicate circuitry and cause freezing, shutdown, re-starts, or even damage. Are you on a carpeted floor, or on an ungrounded plastic chair mat by any chance?

And remember, case grounding does little good if the system's power supply isn't connected to a properly grounded electrical outlet.
April 5, 2012 1:32:40 PM

1: I sit down at my computer and turn it on
2: It boots up just fine
3: After about 10 seconds, sometimes the computer will freeze and i have done nothing but push the power button
4: After computer freezes, then i can run my fingers across the top panel or plug a thumb drive in the top panel and sometimes it will unfreeze, if not i have to push the reset button.
5: I have even went so far as to push the power button with a piece of wood, so i would not be touching the case at all, to see if that helps, because of ESD and it did not help.
6: Case sits on a piece of wood, on a hardwood floor, and my chair sits on a rubber mat.
7: The mat is not grounded, it just sits on the hardwood floor, but i have used a wooden stick to turn pc on so i would not be touching the case at all with my body to see if it was ESD causing this problem.
8: Crazy i know, and i really appreciate your help. There are a few people with this problem with this case. When i brought up the problem with CM they sent me a new top panel but that did not help.
m
l
April 5, 2012 2:11:49 PM

What would you do?, and again thanks for your help. Do you think it would help or is it a good idea if i went outside and drove a grounding rod in the ground and ran a wire from the case to the rod. It seems like a big over kill, but if that would help or even be a good idea, i will do it. I do not care to go the extra mile to fix or protect what i work hard for. If it is a good idea, where would you screw the wire to onto the case. ( The case itself, a screw that holds the Power Supply to the case or somewhere else). Thanks for taking your time to help!
m
l
April 5, 2012 2:30:32 PM

Best answer selected by Setzerbk.
m
l
a c 162 ) Power supply
April 5, 2012 4:03:01 PM

Setzerbk said:
What would you do?, and again thanks for your help. Do you think it would help or is it a good idea if i went outside and drove a grounding rod in the ground and ran a wire from the case to the rod. It seems like a big over kill, but if that would help or even be a good idea, i will do it. I do not care to go the extra mile to fix or protect what i work hard for. If it is a good idea, where would you screw the wire to onto the case. ( The case itself, a screw that holds the Power Supply to the case or somewhere else). Thanks for taking your time to help!

An ungrounded chair mat can cause all sorts of ESD problems. As can a grounding issue with the computer. You might try one of these recpt testers to see if your outlets are wired correctly: http://www.amazon.com/50542-Receptacle-Tester-Improper-...
You can find them at any hdwr store.
You can find grounded mats for office use like these at most office supply stores:
http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Products-Comfort-King-Cord-...
A seperate grd rod may not do much good unless it's tied electrically to your grounded neutral at the elec panel.
m
l
!