FirstTimer3244

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Attempted to boot up new build, all fans are working but no other activity. CPU LED is on. I have switch out motherboard but same situation exists. Any ideas to trouble shoot. Build: Asus P8Z68-v Pro, i7-2600k, 4x4 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3.

Thanks

Solution
Okay, so the double boot is pretty typical when major hardware changes have happened. So that's good.

No video however is odd. Have you tried both the HDMI and DVI ports? There were a lot of complaints from early adopters that the onboard video never worked on Z68 boards.

First off make sure you have a system speaker connected to your motherboard, not all new motherboards come with one attached or even include one in the package. If you don't have one (check your manual) then you need to get one. Otherwise you'll be listening for beeps which you'll never hear.

So, to make sure I understand, you've currently got your motherboard outside of the case sitting on either a wood or carboard surface? All power connections have been made...

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Try this:

Assemble just the motherboard, CPU and heatsink and connect power supply to it (this can be done either inside or outside the case, I usually do this outside the case before i assemble for the first time)

Silence indicates an issue with any of the following:

PSU - in this case, not likely as you stated you are getting power
Motherboard - in this case, not likely as you have tried 2 different motherboards
CPU - Possible culprit?

A long series of beeps indicates a RAM issue (this is where you will want to add a stick of RAM and boot)

After adding a stick of RAM, if the beep pattern is one long beep followed by 2-3 short beeps, that RAM stick is good and you can remove it, set it aside and try another RAM stick. Do this for all RAM sticks.

Bad RAM will either yield silence or long single beeps.

If RAM is good, try the video card and connect it to a monitor to see if you get to the BIOS screen (usually one beep and then you should see the POST screen)

After that, try the hard drive.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Try booting with your monitor plugged into the integrated video ports on the motherboard, or alternatively if you have a GPU installed make sure your using it's video out ports and not the motherboards. Z68 boards can be a bit picky based on what the BIOS is setup for.

FirstTimer3244

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
OK, I have removed the board from the case, installed only the CPU and factory heatsink, no memory. I plugged the monitor into the integrated port on the motherboard. Powering up the unit, the fan spins, the cpu light comes on immediately, then goes off for two seconds and comes back on permanently. No sound or images on screen. I have swapped both the motherboard and CPU in tests as well. ready to take any other steps you can recommend.

Thanks,

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Okay, so the double boot is pretty typical when major hardware changes have happened. So that's good.

No video however is odd. Have you tried both the HDMI and DVI ports? There were a lot of complaints from early adopters that the onboard video never worked on Z68 boards.

First off make sure you have a system speaker connected to your motherboard, not all new motherboards come with one attached or even include one in the package. If you don't have one (check your manual) then you need to get one. Otherwise you'll be listening for beeps which you'll never hear.

So, to make sure I understand, you've currently got your motherboard outside of the case sitting on either a wood or carboard surface? All power connections have been made (both 24-pin atx and 4/8-pin cpu power cables are connected). You have no memory installed and no GPU installed, but using the on board video does nothing (again test both HDMI and DVI).

Next step is to plug in your GPU and connect power and see if you get anything then.

If you still get nothing I'd say it's time to RMA.

Solution