NET LapTop XP Home & Windows 2000 Server

I have a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and the Network of the office
is a Windows 2000 Server, how can I connect to it...???
Thanks.
KAchito
4 answers Last reply
More about laptop home windows 2000 server

    Since XP Home cannot join a domain, you'll have to
    upgrade to XP Professional.

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Germán "Kachito" Díaz" wrote:

    | I have a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and the Network of the office
    | is a Windows 2000 Server, how can I connect to it...???
    | Thanks.
    | KAchito

    I see a Laptop of another manager in my own copny that have XP Home and it
    is connected to the server...
    So I know that it could be possible... some how...some way... but I dont
    know how...

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Since XP Home cannot join a domain, you'll have to
    > upgrade to XP Professional.
    >
    > Windows XP Comparison Guide
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    >
    > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    > "Germán "Kachito" Díaz" wrote:
    >
    > | I have a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and the Network of the
    office
    > | is a Windows 2000 Server, how can I connect to it...???
    > | Thanks.
    > | KAchito

    You'll be able to access network share with your laptop; however, you won't
    be able to just log onto the network like you normally would with a domain.

    What are you trying to do on the network? If it's just accessing share to
    access files and printers you should be fine. You might also be able to
    connect to exchange; however, I have personnally never tried this with XP
    home.

    Just try plugging your laptop into a network drop and see what appears under
    My Network Neighborhood. You'll need to goto Entire Network, and select the
    domain of your company's network from there. Then try accessing on of the
    shares and it should ask you for login information. Type in
    \\<YourDomainName>\<YourNetworkUserName> and your network password and you
    should be able to connect. Is this what you were looking for?

    "Germán "Kachito" Díaz" <kachitos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I see a Laptop of another manager in my own copny that have XP Home and it
    > is connected to the server...
    > So I know that it could be possible... some how...some way... but I dont
    > know how...
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > > Since XP Home cannot join a domain, you'll have to
    > > upgrade to XP Professional.
    > >
    > > Windows XP Comparison Guide
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > >
    > > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    > > "Germán "Kachito" Díaz" wrote:
    > >
    > > | I have a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and the Network of the
    > office
    > > | is a Windows 2000 Server, how can I connect to it...???
    > > | Thanks.
    > > | KAchito

    Something like that but I dont want to do that everytime I turn on the
    laptop, because that is what is happening now, I could connect to another
    user and use the pintr but when I restart the system I have to connect
    manually again... any advice or tip... Thanks...

    "Paul Bobrowski" <nospam@msdiscussion.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > You'll be able to access network share with your laptop; however, you
    won't
    > be able to just log onto the network like you normally would with a
    domain.

    > What are you trying to do on the network? If it's just accessing share to
    > access files and printers you should be fine. You might also be able to
    > connect to exchange; however, I have personnally never tried this with XP
    > home.
    >
    > Just try plugging your laptop into a network drop and see what appears
    under
    > My Network Neighborhood. You'll need to goto Entire Network, and select
    the
    > domain of your company's network from there. Then try accessing on of the
    > shares and it should ask you for login information. Type in
    > \\<YourDomainName>\<YourNetworkUserName> and your network password and you
    > should be able to connect. Is this what you were looking for?
    >

    > "Germán "Kachito" Díaz" <kachitos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I see a Laptop of another manager in my own copny that have XP Home and
    it
    > > is connected to the server...
    > > So I know that it could be possible... some how...some way... but I dont
    > > know how...
    > >
    > > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > > > Since XP Home cannot join a domain, you'll have to
    > > > upgrade to XP Professional.
    > > >
    > > > Windows XP Comparison Guide
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Carey Frisch
    > > > Microsoft MVP
    > > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > >
    > > > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    > > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    > > office

Configuration Laptops Windows XP Windows 2000 Servers