NET LapTop XP Home & Windows 2000 Server

a b D Laptop
August 26, 2004 10:30:00 PM

I have a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and the Network of the office
is a Windows 2000 Server, how can I connect to it...???
Thanks.
KAchito
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 1:47:09 AM

Since XP Home cannot join a domain, you'll have to
upgrade to XP Professional.

Windows XP Comparison Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Germán "Kachito" Díaz" wrote:

| I have a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and the Network of the office
| is a Windows 2000 Server, how can I connect to it...???
| Thanks.
| KAchito
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 1:13:44 PM

I see a Laptop of another manager in my own copny that have XP Home and it
is connected to the server...
So I know that it could be possible... some how...some way... but I dont
know how...

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> Since XP Home cannot join a domain, you'll have to
> upgrade to XP Professional.
>
> Windows XP Comparison Guide
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "Germán "Kachito" Díaz" wrote:
>
> | I have a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and the Network of the
office
> | is a Windows 2000 Server, how can I connect to it...???
> | Thanks.
> | KAchito

a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 6:27:55 PM

You'll be able to access network share with your laptop; however, you won't
be able to just log onto the network like you normally would with a domain.

What are you trying to do on the network? If it's just accessing share to
access files and printers you should be fine. You might also be able to
connect to exchange; however, I have personnally never tried this with XP
home.

Just try plugging your laptop into a network drop and see what appears under
My Network Neighborhood. You'll need to goto Entire Network, and select the
domain of your company's network from there. Then try accessing on of the
shares and it should ask you for login information. Type in
\\<YourDomainName>\<YourNetworkUserName> and your network password and you
should be able to connect. Is this what you were looking for?

"Germán "Kachito" Díaz" <kachitos@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I see a Laptop of another manager in my own copny that have XP Home and it
> is connected to the server...
> So I know that it could be possible... some how...some way... but I dont
> know how...
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
> > Since XP Home cannot join a domain, you'll have to
> > upgrade to XP Professional.
> >
> > Windows XP Comparison Guide
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
> >
> > --
> > Carey Frisch
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP - Shell/User
> >
> > Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> > "Germán "Kachito" Díaz" wrote:
> >
> > | I have a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition and the Network of the
> office
> > | is a Windows 2000 Server, how can I connect to it...???
> > | Thanks.
> > | KAchito

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 27, 2004 6:27:56 PM

Something like that but I dont want to do that everytime I turn on the
laptop, because that is what is happening now, I could connect to another
user and use the pintr but when I restart the system I have to connect
manually again... any advice or tip... Thanks...

news:o lgYLPGjEHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

!