Gigabyte Ga-Z77X-UP4-TH Infinite Boot Loop. Can't access BIOS! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ntbanks924

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
:Specs:
Chassis: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with Dual Thunderbolt
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N660OC-2GD GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply
CPU Fan/HS: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775

Alright, I'm working on my first build and my experience level with components is fairly low. We all start somewhere, right? My problem is that my computer is stuck in an infinite boot loop. I would upload some screen, but I'm at work right now and have no access to my pc or camera.

When I completed the build 3 days ago I turned the power on and the fans/LEDs flipped on for a second and then turned off. After hours and hours of frustration I was convinced that the problem had to be the PSU. Finally, later that night I was able to keep the thing running enough to install Win7 Pro 64bit and a handful of Steam games I had from previous years. It was running fine and dandy, so I thought I would just keep it running overnight.

The next morning I woke up to find the PC had been shutdown. Frustrated I tried to turn it back on, Fan/LEDs flickered but nothing sustainable. So I wiggled the PS cord and tried again and it stayed on long enough for me to play some Planetside 2 and Hitman Absolution. Went to work, came home, and same situation, computer was off.

My wife and I went to Best Buy to test my theory that the PSU was faulty. We purchased a Thermaltake 600W PSU and brought it home. Same issue, but now it made its way to BIOS where it showed a message of Corrupted BIOS and began to load the Secondary BIOS, during the process it shut off. Now every time I power on the machine it stays on for 15 seconds w/blank screen then shuts off and reboots automatically. It does this a couple times and every now and then I get the Gigabyte Splash but none of the Del/F9/F10 commands work so I can not load into BIOS, when the Spash is gone I see a Blue screen with a black banner at the top reading "Gigabyte - UEFI Dualbios" and then shuts off and repeatedly reboots a few more times until I see that screen again.

I have tried to reset the CMOS numerous times via the battery and shorting the CMOS pins.

Right now the Mobo is breadboarded and any attempt to get a beep message is futile, even if I remove the RAM or CPU fan. I'll be uploading some pictures of the problem tomorrow morning when I set up my old PC for the interim period.

Thanks for any assistance you guys can be.

Solution
The problem is if you can enter elsewhere except for bios screen .. that is .. you need to try to enter DOS mode as the first step .. and download bios file with auto flash tool here ..
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4280#bios
save the file in a bootable disk and just insert it in one of your usb port and it will automatically flash your bios to the latest version ..
if you can't even make it in dos .. there is nothing you can do with the motherboard .. just return it for rma check.

ntbanks924

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

How would I go about doing that? If you are talking about flashing my BIOS I'm fairly new at this and haven't done it yet.

BerylLee

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
The problem is if you can enter elsewhere except for bios screen .. that is .. you need to try to enter DOS mode as the first step .. and download bios file with auto flash tool here ..
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4280#bios
save the file in a bootable disk and just insert it in one of your usb port and it will automatically flash your bios to the latest version ..
if you can't even make it in dos .. there is nothing you can do with the motherboard .. just return it for rma check.

Solution

ntbanks924

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013

DOS wasn't an option for me so I ended up having to RMA the board. I just purchased a System Speaker too, because this mobo/case configuration does not have any system speakers to give me helpful beeps. Thanks for the help, and I'll be making sure to flash my bios first thing when I get the replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.