My new msi 6950 isnt working!

ithril

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hello everyone, yesterday i bought an msi 6950 twin frozr III and it has highly disappointed me.
I was so happy to buy one but then its not working.
What happens:

I remove all my previous amd drivers or whatever i have so i that i make a clean install for it.
I install the latest driver from amd and once catalyst is installed along with the driver, it prompts to restart,so i do. Now, when i restart the welcome screen processes and after that its all black screen. Nothing comes after it. I waited for quite long but nothing happened. I tried everything,reinstalled windows(i'm using windows 7 64bit ultimate),check wiring and everything.
Also,i noticed that when i boot with the monitor connected to the 6950, i see irregularities in the letters that come up when we boot our systems(you know when it shows 8gb ram and all during boot). i also checked out bios settings,even there the letters are all wrong. Like a particular word would be like "advanced -se~tn" instead of "advanced settings" and this is for a lot of options that i see in the bios settings.
Now,when i take the 6950 out and connect it to the integrated graphic unit on my board,all the irregularities i mentioned in the bootup are gone and the system boots properly.
Is it possible that my graphic card is broken?

My specs:
Coolermaster 550gx
phenom IIx4 945
8gigs of ram
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H

And i'm not sure if the psu should create any problems? What do you think?

megahmad

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Definitely a defect one, I would RMA. sorry to say that but when the letters in the BIOS are missing it surely indicates a problem with the Video Card.
I work in a PC Maintenance company and I know if a graphics card is bad or defected.