Sign in with
Your question

My new msi 6950 isnt working!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 19, 2011 8:57:00 PM

Hello everyone, yesterday i bought an msi 6950 twin frozr III and it has highly disappointed me.
I was so happy to buy one but then its not working.
What happens:

I remove all my previous amd drivers or whatever i have so i that i make a clean install for it.
I install the latest driver from amd and once catalyst is installed along with the driver, it prompts to restart,so i do. Now, when i restart the welcome screen processes and after that its all black screen. Nothing comes after it. I waited for quite long but nothing happened. I tried everything,reinstalled windows(i'm using windows 7 64bit ultimate),check wiring and everything.
Also,i noticed that when i boot with the monitor connected to the 6950, i see irregularities in the letters that come up when we boot our systems(you know when it shows 8gb ram and all during boot). i also checked out bios settings,even there the letters are all wrong. Like a particular word would be like "advanced -se~tn" instead of "advanced settings" and this is for a lot of options that i see in the bios settings.
Now,when i take the 6950 out and connect it to the integrated graphic unit on my board,all the irregularities i mentioned in the bootup are gone and the system boots properly.
Is it possible that my graphic card is broken?

My specs:
Coolermaster 550gx
phenom IIx4 945
8gigs of ram
Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H

And i'm not sure if the psu should create any problems? What do you think?

More about : msi 6950 isnt working

October 19, 2011 9:01:00 PM

Definitely a defect one, I would RMA. sorry to say that but when the letters in the BIOS are missing it surely indicates a problem with the Video Card.
I work in a PC Maintenance company and I know if a graphics card is bad or defected.
a c 1318 U Graphics card
October 20, 2011 12:14:16 AM

Usually if a card is bad from the box it does not display at all! Did you connect the PSU power to the card, both cables? Your Cooler Master PSU is not the best but should be sufficient.
October 20, 2011 12:15:40 AM

Always test the card in another system if you can.
!