Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASUS P8Z77-V LX no video or usb after BIOS update

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 27, 2013 7:12:04 PM


My computer was working, next day I was having problems with the boot it saw the devices but couldn't start windows, so I decided to update the BIOS version to 1502.

The update was successful, but when the system restarted there was no Video output and none of my usb devices show sings of been powered.

I took the following steep to test the system:

-cleared CMOS
-removed the Video Card GTX 560 TI and connected the cable to the MOBO
-disconnected everything but the power for the MOBO and CPU and cleared CMOS
-tried different combinations of the RAM 2, 1 and 0 sticks, resenting the CMOS. I didn't see RAM led turn on any case
-removed the battery and cleared the CMOS for 10+ minutes

So far I haven't see any changes, please help.
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 7:53:34 PM

Try flashing the BIOS again using the flashback. Rename the file to P8Z77VLX.CAP
You can find instructions in the manual for how to.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 7:56:40 PM

alexoiu said:
Try flashing the BIOS again using the flashback. Rename the file to P8Z77VLX.CAP
You can find instructions in the manual for how to.


Pretty hard to do when he cant see the output



Does it have a built in video? If so check to see if it just defaulted to that output.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 8:03:10 PM

It's not hard as that's the flashback for. No need for output. Actually no need to start the board also. Only the PSU has to be connected and on. Pretty cool...
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 8:05:33 PM

Yes it has a built in video, one of the first steps I did was remove the GPU and connect the DVI to that one, with no change, is also has a VGA output Ill try to use that one.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 8:14:22 PM

alexoiu said:
It's not hard as that's the flashback for. No need for output. Actually no need to start the board also. Only the PSU has to be connected and on. Pretty cool...


I thought that got zeroed with a CMOS clear.
m
0
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 8:42:53 PM

A CMOS clear can't fix a corrupted BIOS.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 8:43:10 PM

alexoiu said:
It's not hard as that's the flashback for. No need for output. Actually no need to start the board also. Only the PSU has to be connected and on. Pretty cool...


It appears that the P8Z77-V LX doesn't have the USB BIOS Flashback feature
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 8:56:22 PM

alexoiu said:
It seems so. I've checked only the manuals list http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&... and there is a Z77/H77 BIOS Renaming Rule for USB Flashback.
But indeed, the feature is missing for your board.
Do you have a spare power supply?



I can get my hand on one
m
0
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 9:05:31 PM

Then I would firstly test with a different PSU. If still the same, it might be a BIOS issue.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 9:23:11 PM

alexoiu said:
Then I would firstly test with a different PSU. If still the same, it might be a BIOS issue.



I tried a different PSU, is exactly the same, there is no change.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 9:30:15 PM

alexoiu said:
A CMOS clear can't fix a corrupted BIOS.


I thought a CMOS clear restored the BIOS to factory Defaults. If he corrupted it with a bad flash that still should work.


ACJ when you cleared the CMOS is there a button or a jumper to do that?
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 9:34:57 PM

jnkweaver said:
I thought a CMOS clear restored the BIOS to factory Defaults. If he corrupted it with a bad flash that still should work.


ACJ when you cleared the CMOS is there a button or a jumper to do that?



There is a jumper, I tried a few times when I tried changing the configuration.

Actually I tried the changing the jumper setting and removing the battery, and leaving it like that for 2 hours, then I changed the jumper and put the battery again connected the cable and still nothing.
m
0
l
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 557 V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 9:38:48 PM

I see two options: buying a BIOS chip and replacing the board's one (if in US you can order one from ASUS eStore) or RMA-ing the board.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 9:39:43 PM

I am looking at the manual now and are you sure your CLRTC jumper is in the normal spot (1,2)?
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 9:41:15 PM

alexoiu said:
I see two options: buying a BIOS chip and replacing the board's one (if in US you can order one from ASUS eStore) or RMA-ing the board.



I think you are right.

Thank you for time and advise.

you too jnkweaver.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 9:43:16 PM

jnkweaver said:
I am looking at the manual now and are you sure your CLRTC jumper is in the normal spot (1,2)?



Yes.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 9:46:11 PM

It isn't clear but it looks like you may need to use the MemOK function if it doesn't reboot after a Bios change.

Also did you try the VGA onboard graphics output?
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 9:55:33 PM

jnkweaver said:
It isn't clear but it looks like you may need to use the MemOK function if it doesn't reboot after a Bios change.

Also did you try the VGA onboard graphics output?



I didin't found a VGA cable, but either way thats just part of the problem, even if I get video by VGA my mouse and keyboard wont work, no usb device is working.

Ill try the memOk, but the thing is even when I put no RAM I don't get the ram led warning.
m
0
l
January 27, 2013 10:01:04 PM

MemOK restars the system, and there is no change after.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2013 10:26:20 PM

acj_cr said:
I didin't found a VGA cable, but either way thats just part of the problem, even if I get video by VGA my mouse and keyboard wont work, no usb device is working.

Ill try the memOk, but the thing is even when I put no RAM I don't get the ram led warning.


OK I guess I misundertood. I thought you flashed your BIOS and now the video doesn't work. Can you see video??
m
0
l
June 28, 2013 5:21:08 PM

Did u ever figure this out........
I have a similar situation. If I remove the GPU card I can get it to boot normally.
as soon as I insert the GPU card i get the same thing u get.


jnkweaver said:
acj_cr said:
I didin't found a VGA cable, but either way thats just part of the problem, even if I get video by VGA my mouse and keyboard wont work, no usb device is working.

Ill try the memOk, but the thing is even when I put no RAM I don't get the ram led warning.


OK I guess I misundertood. I thought you flashed your BIOS and now the video doesn't work. Can you see video??


m
0
l
June 28, 2013 6:26:48 PM

THIS IS WEIRD.......... i just 'fixed' it.
UNFORTUNATELY, I was having the same symptoms with my OLD MB which I just RMAed.
although it was also giving me spontaneous reboots.

New System is an i7-3770K with W7

Symptom: System runs fine with no graphic card (integrated graphics). Though I did have this symptom when I first booted it and it resolved itself. With graphic card inserted computer appears to boot windows 7 but there is no video output and my USB mouse doesn't work. The PS2 KBD does work.

Note: I got totally confused because when I powered off, the system went into the boot problem dialog on the next boot and stops -- until I hit enter. When I realized that and hit enter it booted to the W7 tune.

OK so it is a video problem for 1. I have a monitor with 2 inputs and the other is connected to an off computer. I turned that computer on and the monitor worked fine.

I went in circles till I turned the off computer on, booted the new computer, THEN switched the input on the monitor. EVERYTHING was fine.

SOMEHOW, it appears that when I turned the new computer on after installing the graphic card - it did not make a difference where the monitor was connected - the monitor input switched to the off computer and was therefore dead. Why the mouse didn't work is a mystery also.

I say 'fixed' because I have no clue as to what is going on and if it will continue to work normally.

If u have a clue let me know.
m
0
l
!