Can't decide between components - Please help

Ehloco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hello,

first time build. My issue is too many choices (ironic). It is a budget build, so here is what I'm looking at.

Both EVGA and both 560 ti cards. same price after rebate. Different models -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130651&Tpk=14-130-651

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130610

anyone have experience with either of them? reliability?

I will probably be getting the i5 2500k or 2500. Not sure which, or which MOBO to go with it!

This MOBO with i5 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130616

or this combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.777266

Any suggestions on MOBO's? OC and SLI is a possibility but not a necessity. It would be Mostly experimental, honestly.

Thanks in advance <3

Solution
I'd go with the DS version. It'll give you a bit more cooling and overclocking power. The reference design gives a lifetime warranty but I don't think it's a good idea personally. Better to get better cooling.

2500k! it's $15 more and gives you a phenomenal amount of OC headroom.

For mobo's, you really can't go wrong with Asus or ASRock. ASRock is cheaper but some people claim they aren't as good. I've never had a problem. The ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 is a pretty good budget board.

Well, that's the best information I can give you without knowing more. Cheers!

striker410

Distinguished
I'd go with the DS version. It'll give you a bit more cooling and overclocking power. The reference design gives a lifetime warranty but I don't think it's a good idea personally. Better to get better cooling.

2500k! it's $15 more and gives you a phenomenal amount of OC headroom.

For mobo's, you really can't go wrong with Asus or ASRock. ASRock is cheaper but some people claim they aren't as good. I've never had a problem. The ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 is a pretty good budget board.

Well, that's the best information I can give you without knowing more. Cheers!

Solution

Ehloco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Thank you for your answer!

It's a gaming rig. for the most part.

Ah Microcenter has I5 2500k for 180 :(. wish I had one near.

Going to work. Will buy when I get back

Some people have had DOA ASRock boards (more than with most electronics), but most just get great deals. Go that way.
Absolutely 2500K. A little OCing will get you through several years.
That combo looks nice, but it won't let you SLI (only one PCIe-x16 slot). If you want SLI (decide!), get an ASRock Z68 Extreme3 for $125 (+1 above).
Also, if you do go SLI, you'll need a 750W PSU. If you don't, go 500W. This assumes that the PSUs are of very good quality: Antec, Corsair, Silverstone, Seasonic, XFX or OCZ.

TheLastAvenger

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011

Overall the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 is the best option for you as it supports SLI and is a Z68 Mobo so you get some extra features over the P67 based Mobos.ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 gives great OverClocking headroom and you could easily OC the CPU to 4.5Ghz with the help of a cheap CPU Cooler like CM Hyper 212+ .The MSI Mobo doesnt support SLI because it has only one PCIe 2.0-x16 slot and inorder to do SLI it must've another PCIe 2.0-x16/x8/x4 slot.

^Except for Quick Sync, and I don't know anyone that actually does that (do YOU do heavy transcoding?), Z68 doesn't offer any more useful features. Intel SSD caching doesn't work well, and the user can do better by manually sorting their data between the HDD and SSD. With that said, the Z68 Extreme3 is still probably the best deal.

Ehloco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Thank you all. Ordered the ASRock all three of you suggested, striker was first though.

My final build:

CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: EVGA 560ti
MOBO: ASRock z68 extreme3
PSU: corsair 500w (will have to buy new one in the future for SLI, but no issue now)
RAM: Patriot Memory DDR3 1600 8GB
HDD: 160GB 7200RPM re-certified by western digital. Cheap and temporary until prices go down.

Dvd burner by samsung
Case: Rosewill ranger ATX mid tower

Monitor: 21.5 inch Acer (got on deal for 99.99)

Ended up being around ~750. Had 500 in mind.

Thanks to everyone on this site for the help.

Ehloco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
So, everything arrive but I am missing cables for the HDD and Disk drive. I am searching around but finding a lot of different cables and adapters and converters.

IDE Ultra ATA100 / ATA-6 -- is the Interface for the HDD. The z68 has SATA.

The Disk Drive has SATA to SATA... But the SATA on the drive is a long narrow one

Halp -

Ehloco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Excuse me

http://w.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151233&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

This is the drive (btw ^ -_- face on link speaks for itself right now)

and this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136910&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

is the HDD

tyranthoth

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
HDD: that's the old IDE connection also known as PATA now, looks like there IDE (PATA) connection on the side of the mob just need the right cable, just in case my poor eyes are not see that grainy board image right then you can just get a IDE controller for the pci slot on the mob

CD/DVD - that is a SAS connection the sata is right next to it in the middle, not to sure if there is a SAS to SATA cable out there may need to get a IDE/SATA/SAS controler but SAS in lamens terms is sata with power, there is more to it but not much.

Ehloco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
All of this did not cross my mind when picking the parts. I'm just considering returning and getting more compatible parts -.- blah.

Thank you TyranThoth, I have much googling to do :).

Happy holidays to everyone on the forum.

Ehloco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hate to bump this up, yet AGAIN.

But I have an issue. The computer will not boot up with graphics card plugged in. i can get into the BIOS without the card. But with it, the screen is black. The fans spin.

Now, is the 500w Corsair enough to power the system?

EVGA 560 ti
As rock Extreme3 gen3
8gb DDR3 1600 (Bios shows running at 1333)
i5 2500k
HDD and CD/DVD burner.

Dr Debug on MOBO is showing A6 - SCSI Detect

Those are the components it is supporting.

is there a way to test the card? I don't have another computer...

Ehloco

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

So, the PSU is not a problem? I will try and find a computer to put the GPU and test it.

Otherwise, Could I try it on the other pci slot? I will do this when I get home.

tyranthoth

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
considering it's a 500w more than likely not
These are the requirements from EVGA
Requirements
Minimum of a 500 power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 30 Amps.)
Two available 6-pin PCI-E power dongle

Wouldn't hurt to bump up to a 650 or 750 if you want to go SLI but the 500w psu should work