Pre Paid Non-expring US Sim Cards?

I visit the US about 4 times a year [on vacation] and wondered if
there was a US prepaid sim card that I can use in my phone. Obviously
I'd like one that that doesn't become defunct if you don't use it for
a few months and hopefully one that will keep credits between visits.
If not, then one that you can easily get cheap top-ups say around $10
(via credit card top up or nationwide stores)? I suppose I'd be
looking for one that would work in Florida, California and New York.
Do such sim cards exist?

My T-mobile (UK) sim card works over there (with AT&T and Cingular, on
my tri-band phone) but it is very expensive for making calls and it's
a real pain with the roaming codes and such like.

Regards,

Andy
16 answers Last reply
More about paid expring cards

    On 23 Apr 2004 04:56:22 -0700, fl0r15t@hotmail.com (Andy Straw) wrote:

    >I visit the US about 4 times a year [on vacation] and wondered if
    >there was a US prepaid sim card that I can use in my phone. Obviously
    >I'd like one that that doesn't become defunct if you don't use it for
    >a few months and hopefully one that will keep credits between visits.
    >If not, then one that you can easily get cheap top-ups say around $10
    >(via credit card top up or nationwide stores)? I suppose I'd be
    >looking for one that would work in Florida, California and New York.
    >Do such sim cards exist?

    For GSM with SIM cards it does not exist. You can get prepaid, but
    you will require another handset. Often you can get used handsets
    that will work. There's a service called Justalk where you can get
    service for $8.49 (for 40 minutes) with the service good for 180 days
    before you'll lose any credits and the service will be disconnected.
    It requires that you get a handset that was on the AT&T (TDMA)
    service.

    http://www.phoneshark.com/showwirelesscard.cfm?f=11&t=11&p=8314#phones

    With this service you are often given service with a number that is
    not local to you, but each account is given a toll-free (freephone)
    number so that your callers don't incur any extra charges.

    If you go to the above offer and buy the refill all you need to do is
    call Justalk customer service and tell them that you wish to initiate
    new service. They'll ask for the ESN (electronic serial number) that
    you'll find on the handset under the battery. They'll then apply the
    credit to your account (the so called "PIN" a ten-digit number.)
    They'll instruct you how to program your phone with your phone number.
    You can always buy another PIN over the net and input the PIN to get
    an extension of the time on your account. The number to add airtime
    is a US 1-866 "freephone" number. If you're unable to call US
    freephone numbers you could have a colleage in the US call the
    recharge number and input the time for you. It would end up costing
    you USD17 per year for service. Or, in the alternative, if having the
    same number is unimportant to you you could just let the account
    expire and get a new account the next time you are in the US. If you
    had any money on the old account you would however lose whatever
    credit you had. The only thing that's really inconvenient for you is
    that you would be required to get a compatible phone as the phones
    that justalk uses are not GSM and thus not SIM compatible.

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    TMOBILE has the 1 year No Expire promotion running again. If you top off a
    current TMOBILE EasySpeak prePaid acct with $25 or more of airtime, it will
    not expire for 1 year. Top Off of the $25 must occur before June 30. Details
    at http://kickme.too.wirelessworld
    You can find activated TMOBILE Easy Speak SIMS with about $50 of airtime for
    about $25-$30. then you just need to add the $25. If you go to a TMO store,
    their SIm Starter kit is $50 with SIM and 120 minutes airtime good for 60
    days.
    Last but not least, being in the UK, www.expansys.com now sells TMOBILE
    PrePaid SIM kits for $50 us dollars

    "Andy Straw" <fl0r15t@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I visit the US about 4 times a year [on vacation] and wondered if
    > there was a US prepaid sim card that I can use in my phone. Obviously
    > I'd like one that that doesn't become defunct if you don't use it for
    > a few months and hopefully one that will keep credits between visits.
    > If not, then one that you can easily get cheap top-ups say around $10
    > (via credit card top up or nationwide stores)? I suppose I'd be
    > looking for one that would work in Florida, California and New York.
    > Do such sim cards exist?
    >
    > My T-mobile (UK) sim card works over there (with AT&T and Cingular, on
    > my tri-band phone) but it is very expensive for making calls and it's
    > a real pain with the roaming codes and such like.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andy

    There is no non-expiring card. Virgin Mobile USA has CDMA prepaid phones
    with a ninety day recharge cycle and a two month grace period between top
    ups. Virgin mobile can take a credit card to do the topup automatically
    when you are out of the country. I'm not sure whether they will take UK
    credit cards or not, but you can buy prepaid Mastercards and any Riteaid
    drug store in the US, top it up and let it auto recharge your Virgin.
    Remember, the minutes roll over. I'm not sure whether you could take four
    topup cards back with you to do topups manually from there.Usually, there is
    some backdoor number which can be called for that purpose.

    Tracphone has a prepaid card that goes a year at a time, but Tracphone has a
    very bad reputation for other reasons. Both of these solutions require you
    to purchase a non-GSM phone.

    If you've a got a friend with ATT in the US, they have a special running
    right now which would let your friend add a second line pulling from his/her
    minutes at US$10 a month.

    T-Mobile had prepaid card that were good for a year on a special basis, but
    they are gone. You can still find some people hawking them on e-bay.

    Stu

    "Andy Straw" <fl0r15t@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I visit the US about 4 times a year [on vacation] and wondered if
    > there was a US prepaid sim card that I can use in my phone. Obviously
    > I'd like one that that doesn't become defunct if you don't use it for
    > a few months and hopefully one that will keep credits between visits.
    > If not, then one that you can easily get cheap top-ups say around $10
    > (via credit card top up or nationwide stores)? I suppose I'd be
    > looking for one that would work in Florida, California and New York.
    > Do such sim cards exist?
    >
    > My T-mobile (UK) sim card works over there (with AT&T and Cingular, on
    > my tri-band phone) but it is very expensive for making calls and it's
    > a real pain with the roaming codes and such like.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andy

    Thanks for the heads up- I thought that may be the case. I may look into
    the Virgin Mobile route... thanks for your speedy help.

    Andy Straw <fl0r15t@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<c6b92l$as9$1@mserv2.dl.ac.uk>...
    > Thanks for the heads up- I thought that may be the case. I may look into
    > the Virgin Mobile route... thanks for your speedy help.

    Actually T-Mobile is running their promotion again. Activate a new
    pre-paid SIM ($50US, I think) and add a $25 US recharge card and it
    extends the expiry date for 1 year.

    Like last time, eBay is a cheaper place to get them. The promo is
    valid until June 30, so both the SIM must be activated, and $25 (or
    higher) card must be added by then. (The eBay guys handle all that
    for you- search www.ebay.com for prepaid t-mobile sim and you'll find
    dozens.)

    Actually T-Mobile US now has prepaid sim cards.
    Expire? That you will have to ask the dealer that you get it from.

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:38:40 GMT, "Sensei S" <senseis@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Actually T-Mobile US now has prepaid sim cards.
    >Expire? That you will have to ask the dealer that you get it from.

    But that wasn't the question. The query was for SIM cards that
    *never* expire. That doesn't exist in the US. It doesn't exist in
    Europe either. I am unfamilliar with what happens in Asia or Africa.
    Think about it why would any carrier keep a number in service with any
    maintenance cost and not charge anything at all for it forever. What
    would be the reason they would do this?

    >"Andy Straw" <fl0r15t@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I visit the US about 4 times a year [on vacation] and wondered if
    >> there was a US prepaid sim card that I can use in my phone. Obviously
    >> I'd like one that that doesn't become defunct if you don't use it for
    >> a few months and hopefully one that will keep credits between visits.
    >> If not, then one that you can easily get cheap top-ups say around $10
    >> (via credit card top up or nationwide stores)? I suppose I'd be
    >> looking for one that would work in Florida, California and New York.
    >> Do such sim cards exist?
    >>
    >> My T-mobile (UK) sim card works over there (with AT&T and Cingular, on
    >> my tri-band phone) but it is very expensive for making calls and it's
    >> a real pain with the roaming codes and such like.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Andy

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    Thanks for all this information guys... much more than I hoped for.

    Joseph wrote:
    > But that wasn't the question. The query was for SIM cards that
    > *never* expire. That doesn't exist in the US. It doesn't exist in
    > Europe either. I am unfamilliar with what happens in Asia or Africa.
    > Think about it why would any carrier keep a number in service with any
    > maintenance cost and not charge anything at all for it forever. What
    > would be the reason they would do this?

    I've got three sim cards I use, that I've got over the years. I'm on my
    6th or 7th phone upgrade and I'm on a sim card from vodafone that I've
    had for 5 years and use maybe twice a year juast so I don't have to let
    work know my usual number. In the UK non expiring credit is the norm
    rather than the exception?

    Andy I added an extra "O" in that address for TMO info
    http://kickme.to/wirelessworld and go to PREPAID WIRELESS

    Joseph schrieb:

    > But that wasn't the question. The query was for SIM cards that
    > *never* expire. That doesn't exist in the US. It doesn't exist in
    > Europe either. I am unfamilliar with what happens in Asia or Africa.
    > Think about it why would any carrier keep a number in service with any
    > maintenance cost and not charge anything at all for it forever. What
    > would be the reason they would do this?

    I do own a "Virgin mobile" SIM card from the UK for my time to time
    visits there. They have VERY good tarifs and the cards NEVER expire!

    Here in Germany all cards expire after 1 year or some "grace period"
    afterwards. Cost you 50 Euro/year to keep them "alive".

    Wolfgang

    > For GSM with SIM cards it does not exist. You can get prepaid, but
    > you will require another handset.

    Nonsense. Any GSM phone which isnt "locked" will work with the prepaid
    cards.

    Wolfgang

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:50:13 +0200, Wolfgang Barth
    <barthwo@spamfence.net> wrote:

    > For GSM with SIM cards it does not exist. You can get prepaid, but
    >> you will require another handset.
    >
    >Nonsense. Any GSM phone which isnt "locked" will work with the prepaid
    >cards.

    You need to pay attnetion to the thread! The question was not whether
    a prepaid card will work. The question was if there was a card that
    does *not* expire. The answer remains that there is no US prepaid
    "pay as you go" card that will never expire. Unless you get in on the
    present promotion that T-Mobile has that will let you keep an account
    active for a whole year most prepaid SIMs in the US from cingular and
    T-Mobile expire in 90 days or less. Other alternatives other than GSM
    you can have longer expiration times. Even Virgin Mobile accounts
    eventually will expire if they are not replenished with minute
    vouchers. Virgin Mobile isn't a GSM carrier in the US either.

    Joseph schrieb:

    >>For GSM with SIM cards it does not exist. You can get prepaid,
    >>but you will require another handset.
    >>
    >>Nonsense. Any GSM phone which isnt "locked" will work with the prepaid
    >>cards.
    >
    > You need to pay attnetion to the thread! The question was not whether
    > a prepaid card will work.
    But exactly this statement was given here! And I stated, what is the
    truth: ANY PREPAID SIM CARD will work in a "lock free" phone.
    It does not matter if this SIM is usable for 30 days or forever.

    > The question was if there was a card that
    > does *not* expire. The answer remains that there is no US prepaid
    > "pay as you go" card that will never expire.
    True. They are only valid for 30 or 90 days or so. I know. I really do
    not understand this policy. They could earn LOTS of money if they were
    valid for at least a year or so before you have to recharge. Look at
    Italy where the MAJORITY of users have perpaid SIM's. An think about
    this: Prepaids can freely given to children because the cannot spend
    more than the given prepaid amount.

    > Unless you get in on the
    > present promotion that T-Mobile has that will let you keep an account
    > active for a whole year most prepaid SIMs in the US from cingular and
    > T-Mobile expire in 90 days or less. Other alternatives other than GSM
    > you can have longer expiration times. Even Virgin Mobile accounts
    > eventually will expire if they are not replenished with minute
    > vouchers.
    The booklet which comes with it states that it will NEVER expire. I
    bought mine about 3 years ago and it has been in use for 3 periods of
    time since then. One it was a pause of more than a year between the
    visits and I did NOT recharge in that period.

    >Virgin Mobile isn't a GSM carrier in the US either.
    True. What a pity.

    Wolfgang

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:16:02 +0200, Wolfgang Barth
    <barthwo@spamfence.net> wrote:

    >Joseph schrieb:
    >>
    >>>For GSM with SIM cards it does not exist. You can get prepaid,
    >>>but you will require another handset.
    >>>
    >>>Nonsense. Any GSM phone which isnt "locked" will work with the prepaid
    >>>cards.
    >>
    >> You need to pay attnetion to the thread! The question was not whether
    >> a prepaid card will work.
    >But exactly this statement was given here! And I stated, what is the
    >truth: ANY PREPAID SIM CARD will work in a "lock free" phone.
    >It does not matter if this SIM is usable for 30 days or forever.

    It *does* matter if you're addressing what the original poster asked.
    If you have some other agenda that's your thing. The original poster
    asked whether there was a SIM available in the US that doesn't expire.
    The official policy is that there are no SIMs for the US that do not
    expire. If you got one that doesn't bully for you. The policy is
    that normally they will expire after 90 days maximum and you'd be
    required to get a new SIM card and have another service activated.

    >> The question was if there was a card that
    >> does *not* expire. The answer remains that there is no US prepaid
    >> "pay as you go" card that will never expire.
    >True. They are only valid for 30 or 90 days or so. I know. I really do
    >not understand this policy. They could earn LOTS of money if they were
    >valid for at least a year or so before you have to recharge. Look at
    >Italy where the MAJORITY of users have perpaid SIM's. An think about
    >this: Prepaids can freely given to children because the cannot spend
    >more than the given prepaid amount.
    >
    >> Unless you get in on the
    >> present promotion that T-Mobile has that will let you keep an account
    >> active for a whole year most prepaid SIMs in the US from cingular and
    >> T-Mobile expire in 90 days or less. Other alternatives other than GSM
    >> you can have longer expiration times. Even Virgin Mobile accounts
    >> eventually will expire if they are not replenished with minute
    >> vouchers.
    >The booklet which comes with it states that it will NEVER expire. I
    >bought mine about 3 years ago and it has been in use for 3 periods of
    >time since then. One it was a pause of more than a year between the
    >visits and I did NOT recharge in that period.
    >
    >>Virgin Mobile isn't a GSM carrier in the US either.
    >True. What a pity.

    It's something that they even know about in Europe. It's called
    economics and getting the best deal. Evidently Virgin went shopping
    and no GSM carrier could provide them with the price point that they
    wanted so they made a deal with Sprint PCS who happens to not be a GSM
    provider.
    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    Some alternatives to prepaid if you visit the USA frequently. These options
    maybe more expensive than prepaid.

    With AT&T wireless, you can put your phone under 'suspension' when away. So
    you could get and AT&T monthly account then 'suspend' it when you're not in
    USA. I don't use AT&T but a friend who does told me about it. He travels
    out of USA about 6 months per year and when he leaves he suspends his mobile
    phone. You have to get the details from AT&T.

    You also could get a Cingular monthly account with rollover minutes. When
    you're not in USA, the minutes would rollover and accumulate so when you
    return to USA, you'll have lots of minutes to call your friends, relatives
    and business associates.

    "Andy Straw" <fl0r15t@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I visit the US about 4 times a year [on vacation] and wondered if
    > there was a US prepaid sim card that I can use in my phone. Obviously
    > I'd like one that that doesn't become defunct if you don't use it for
    > a few months and hopefully one that will keep credits between visits.
    > If not, then one that you can easily get cheap top-ups say around $10
    > (via credit card top up or nationwide stores)? I suppose I'd be
    > looking for one that would work in Florida, California and New York.
    > Do such sim cards exist?
    >
    > My T-mobile (UK) sim card works over there (with AT&T and Cingular, on
    > my tri-band phone) but it is very expensive for making calls and it's
    > a real pain with the roaming codes and such like.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Andy

GSM SIM Card