Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD CPU - 6100 vs 4100 vs 960T

Last response: in CPUs
March 21, 2012 11:42:23 PM

Just a quick question here and I'm kinda new. I've browsed most websites just searching for an answer about these 3 AM3+ Processors. All I've been seeing is about overclocking, unfortunately, I don't want to overclock as I only want to do multitasking and video editing. Gaming comes 3rd and I don't play that much nowadays anyway.

I'm looking at these 3 processors at the moment, FX 6100, FX 4100 and Phenom II 960T.

Since most of the threads I see are about OC, I would like to verify which of these 3 is better at video editing and multitasking?

Also, unfortunately, these are the only AM3+ boards that are currently available at my area, so I'm wondering which one is better.

Asus M5A88-M and Asus M5A97

Thanks.

More about : amd cpu 6100 4100 960t

a b à CPUs
March 22, 2012 12:12:00 AM

the FX -6100 would have the edge in video editing and some multi tasking thanks to its two extra cores verse the quads. in gaming, you wouldn't notice the difference between the three CPUs. you probably won't even notice the difference in most day to day multitasking.
m
l
March 22, 2012 11:34:54 AM

I see. Thanks for your answers. I can now choose which board and CPU I need thanks a lot.

Quote:
(965-980)BE over the FX Bulldozer chips.
if wanting six cores, go for the Thuban 1090T or 1100T.
my opinion.

Asus M5A88-M = (mATX)
Asus M5A97 = (ATX)

Unfortunately, the thuban cpus are not available at this area so those 3 are my only choice. Unless I purchase them somewhere else outside my area and it will cost much more when I go out of my way. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2012 11:49:33 AM

+1 960T
m
l
a c 124 à CPUs
March 22, 2012 11:50:15 AM

Is there a particular reason you have not considered an Intel build? I agree with Malmental if you're limited to AMD, but you would almost certainly get considerably better performance from Intel, ESPECIALLY since you're not interested in overclocking. AMD CPUs really only become even remotely performance-competitive if you overclock them (sometimes by a lot), but at stock they are unfortunately left in the dust. Disclaimer: my primary system is AMD; I'm not a fanboy.
m
l
March 22, 2012 11:51:57 PM

Onus said:
Is there a particular reason you have not considered an Intel build? I agree with Malmental if you're limited to AMD, but you would almost certainly get considerably better performance from Intel, ESPECIALLY since you're not interested in overclocking. AMD CPUs really only become even remotely performance-competitive if you overclock them (sometimes by a lot), but at stock they are unfortunately left in the dust. Disclaimer: my primary system is AMD; I'm not a fanboy.

Unfortunately, the intel sandy bridge boards they have here at the moment are all 2 Memory slot boards and are all mATX, I'm looking for ATX and a 4 memory slot board. My PC is fried at the moment so I'm looking for an easy fix with AMD boards and CPUs so I'm going with M5A97.
m
l
a c 124 à CPUs
March 23, 2012 12:17:55 AM

Two RAM slots will give you up to 16GB, or 8GB pretty cheap, and ATX boards no longer have notable feature advantages over micro-ATX.
m
l
March 23, 2012 10:24:05 AM

Onus said:
Two RAM slots will give you up to 16GB, or 8GB pretty cheap, and ATX boards no longer have notable feature advantages over micro-ATX.

I see. Well, I won't go for an i5 if I were to choose Intel right now due to budget restrictions so for a CPU I can only go for a 2100 or 2120. I'll go look for the boards that are currently available here as an matx.
m
l
March 23, 2012 11:07:31 AM

Quote:
I have a Intel build like you speak of, 2 of them:
i3-2100 and i3-2120.
I would take the i3-2120 over the FX-41xx.
my opinion.

I see... well I am checkibg for 1155 boards right now since those boards are compatible with the upcoming ivy bridge. So far only Asus boards are present here which I'm actually okay about.

Asus P8P67 M
Asus P8Z68 M Pro
Asus P8Z68 V
Asus P8Z68 V LE

Well, they're the only boards present here right now. Now wondering which board is good for long term use.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2012 3:43:44 PM

Forget the i3, forget the FX the 960T is a GEM !!!! It is built on a 6 core thuban die and as of late they have about 80% chance of unlocking to a 6 core !! Plus the AM3+ socket will be compatible with future CPU generations. All the same even if you can't unlock lock the extra 2 cores The Phenom 960T is much faster than the i3 at just about everything except gaming, where they are the same.

intel dual core < AMD 4 / 6 core, i think the decision is pretty simple lol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2012 4:32:50 PM

Quote:
rather have a straight Deneb C3 like (965-980)BE or a straight Thuban E0 like (1090-1100)T
before I settle for a 960T..
I'll take 4 higher clocked cores over 4 lower clocked with an chance of unlocking into 6 cores.
if you need 6 then get six.
if you wanna play and got no funds then 960T.

gaming reference..

My 960T unlocked into an EO 1600T, Go look on new egg pretty much every single comment left is about successfully unlocking this chip. Paying for higher clocks on BE chips as absolutely pointless, go slide your multi up a couple points and bam you just save $30 bucks lol.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 23, 2012 4:38:06 PM

Seriously people need to get off the I3 is better for games bandwagon.

Quote:
I only want to do multitasking and video editing. Gaming comes 3rd and I don't play that much nowadays anyway.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

Seriously, I3 2100 for video editing? the Athon x4 does better most of the time.

Quote:
those 3 are my only choice

get the Asus M5A97 with the 960T. Try the unlock option in the bios, if it works then you have the 1075T (think slightly lower than the 1100T on the charts) and better than the FX 6100, but the fx is usually a little faster at 2-pass encoding, but thats about it when comparing the 6100 to the thuban x6.
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2012 4:55:40 PM

noob2222 said:

Quote:
I only want to do multitasking and video editing. Gaming comes 3rd and I don't play that much nowadays anyway.

Seriously, I3 2100 for video editing? the Athon x4 does better most of the time.

Quote:

get the Asus M5A97 with the 960T. Try the unlock option in the bios, if it works then you have the 1075T (think slightly lower than the 1100T on the charts) and better than the FX 6100, but the fx is usually a little faster at 2-pass encoding, but thats about it when comparing the 6100 to the thuban x6.

They unlock into either 1600T or 1605T, mine clocked at 3.3 just fur curiosity sake actually benched about 500 points over the 1100T on PCMark-7 somehow lol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2012 5:28:01 PM

cmi86 said:
They unlock into either 1600T or 1605T, mine clocked at 3.3 just fur curiosity sake actually benched about 500 points over the 1100T on PCMark-7 somehow lol.

Thats what the bios calls it, technially its a 3.0 ghz x6 wich is the 1075T. you won't find a review on the 1600T
m
l
March 23, 2012 11:43:29 PM

Quote:
mATX or ATX sized.?

I'm going for ATX as my chassis is a mid Tower for ATX. Also, somehow when I called them again today, somehow they are still not in stock for the intel boards I've written for LGA1155.

noob2222 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the link, that got me the answer I'm looking for performance on Encoding and Video Editing. Although, it doesn't have the other CPUs on the list. I'll try looking some more. I'll go for the FX6100 since I'm not unlocking nor am I gaming and choose M5A97 since its an ATX and one of the boards I'm looking for.
m
l
March 23, 2012 11:48:50 PM

Best answer selected by kouhei07.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 1:11:08 AM

kouhei07 said:
I'm going for ATX as my chassis is a mid Tower for ATX. Also, somehow when I called them again today, somehow they are still not in stock for the intel boards I've written for LGA1155.

Thanks for the link, that got me the answer I'm looking for performance on Encoding and Video Editing. Although, it doesn't have the other CPUs on the list. I'll try looking some more. I'll go for the FX6100 since I'm not unlocking nor am I gaming and choose M5A97 since its an ATX and one of the boards I'm looking for.

Did you listen to anything that was said ? The FX line of chips are just no good. Why will you spend all that money on an FX when you can go out and get a nice Phenom II for less money and it will be faster at 99.9999999% of things ?? The reason the FX line fails to compete with anything including the very chips it was meant to replace (phenoms) is because FX chips are not "true" 4/6/8 cores in a technical sense. While there are 4/6/8 integer processing units they are arranged into "modules" with 2 integer processing units and a shared floating point processor. This architecture has the potential to be very fast (that's why I'm still holding out for piledriver) But the technology in its present form is just too inefficient and under-developed to compete.

Slower FX-6100, More $$ < Faster Phenom II X6, less $$ Duh ??
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 1:24:25 AM

No way would I go with any Bulldozer processors. Bulldozer vs Phenom II the Phenom II will be faster in most programs. If you want to go AMD I would try to find a Phenom II paired with an AM3+ motherboard.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 6:27:30 AM

kouhei07 said:

Not too many sights benched the 6100, mostly they just concentrated on the 8150 and called it a day.
Fewer still even had any encoding benches.

http://www.techspot.com/review/452-amd-bulldozer-fx-cpu...

Will put you between the phenom X6 and x4 cpus, and as you said, you don't have to worry about wether or not the 960T unlocks.
m
l
March 24, 2012 9:22:21 AM

No expert here...but went with 960T and unlocked to 6 cores...no need to overclock for my purposes...and very pleased. Used ASRock UEFI BIOS to unlock...easy.
m
l
March 24, 2012 5:48:50 PM

cmi86 said:
Did you listen to anything that was said ? The FX line of chips are just no good. Why will you spend all that money on an FX when you can go out and get a nice Phenom II for less money and it will be faster at 99.9999999% of things ?? The reason the FX line fails to compete with anything including the very chips it was meant to replace (phenoms) is because FX chips are not "true" 4/6/8 cores in a technical sense. While there are 4/6/8 integer processing units they are arranged into "modules" with 2 integer processing units and a shared floating point processor. This architecture has the potential to be very fast (that's why I'm still holding out for piledriver) But the technology in its present form is just too inefficient and under-developed to compete.

Slower FX-6100, More $$ < Faster Phenom II X6, less $$ Duh ??

Well, I'm not playing any games as mentioned. Also, AM3 boards are no longer in stock. I'm not buying online, I'm only buying locally and shipping will cost me more as I'm in a different country. Most of the boards available now are AM3+, LGA1155 and LGA2011. Phenom 960T was just bought and no longer in stock. I'm buying the computer tomorrow.
m
l
March 24, 2012 6:04:19 PM

Sorry for the double post, as it won't let me edit my previous post.

Quote:
NO...!
no place in this entire thread did anyone recommend that chip.
have you not been paying attention.?
even the 'BA' you selected doesn't recommend that chip.
it's like everything that has been said went in one ear and out the other...

anything but that chip the FX-61xx is the worse of the entire FX lineup...
your better off with a Phenom II X6 1090/1100T model.
seriously..

I did read that, however as I've already checked w/ the store back then, the chips were already out of stock. If I buy online, it will cost me more for shipping costs than if I buy locally as I'm in a different country, so I'm going to what's locally available. Phenom II x6 is not currently available (out of stock) at the moment and I'm not going higher than i3 if going Intel due to budget restrictions.

Anonymous_26 said:
No way would I go with any Bulldozer processors. Bulldozer vs Phenom II the Phenom II will be faster in most programs. If you want to go AMD I would try to find a Phenom II paired with an AM3+ motherboard.

If Phenom II was available, I was going for it as I've already tested my friend's FX8120. It was good for a few video editing but it will cost me $200 more if I choose that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2012 8:33:30 PM

kouhei07 said:
Sorry for the double post, as it won't let me edit my previous post.

I did read that, however as I've already checked w/ the store back then, the chips were already out of stock. If I buy online, it will cost me more for shipping costs than if I buy locally as I'm in a different country, so I'm going to what's locally available. Phenom II x6 is not currently available (out of stock) at the moment and I'm not going higher than i3 if going Intel due to budget restrictions.

If Phenom II was available, I was going for it as I've already tested my friend's FX8120. It was good for a few video editing but it will cost me $200 more if I choose that.

Did you miss my suggestion of the 960T for $100 that has a rediculously high chance of unlocking ?
m
l
March 24, 2012 10:07:52 PM

Quote:
better than the FX-6xxx..

I did say that if it was available. However as I've already contacted the store, they don't have any stock right now. Who knows when it will be available again. new egg doesn't even ship internationally. So I'm, just gonna have to do with what's available locally.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 2:08:08 AM

Quote:
better than the FX-6xxx..

As a 960T quad, not for encoding.

The 6100 is faster than the quad, but slower than the x6, and seeing his only options, its the better choice.

http://www.techspot.com/review/452-amd-bulldozer-fx-cpu...

How many times does he have to say its no longer available and can't get the X6 thuban because its not available either.

For what he is doing, its the best option, and thats NOT GAMING.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 4:25:53 AM

kouhei07 said:
I did say that if it was available. However as I've already contacted the store, they don't have any stock right now. Who knows when it will be available again. new egg doesn't even ship internationally. So I'm, just gonna have to do with what's available locally.

Did you call them to see if they had the Bulldozer or the PhenomII in stock? If you called about the Phenom II being in stock and they said they don't have any they probably aren't going to get any more in stock. The Phenom II and Athelon have been discontinued and unless they happen to magically find a stock pile of them somewhere once they're gone thats it, they're gone.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2012 5:09:36 AM

kouhei07 said:
Well, I'm not playing any games as mentioned. Also, AM3 boards are no longer in stock. I'm not buying online, I'm only buying locally and shipping will cost me more as I'm in a different country. Most of the boards available now are AM3+, LGA1155 and LGA2011. Phenom 960T was just bought and no longer in stock. I'm buying the computer tomorrow.

Your country can't be too far off the map as your english is pretty damn good. AM2+/AM3 CPU's will work on AM3+ boards

CPU --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And either of these 2 motherboards ( i personally own the asrock and love it to death, favorite board I have ever owned)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
March 25, 2012 5:34:58 PM

cmi86 said:
Your country can't be too far off the map as your english is pretty damn good. AM2+/AM3 CPU's will work on AM3+ boards

CPU --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And either of these 2 motherboards ( i personally own the asrock and love it to death, favorite board I have ever owned)

Well, you'd better believe I'm really far. I did asked them to go to their storage and somehow found one more 960T so instead I got the 960T cheap from them and also got the 6100 for a cheap price as well. Took $50 less than what I thought it would cost me to get both. If I'm not happy with one of them my friend's also looking for either of those chips. I could just sell it to him whichever won't give me the encoding speed I want. Talk about luck and my friend's timing thanks everyone.

I'm in SEA and not everything is available here, so I'm only basing the parts i posted as what I see here.
m
l
!