Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Please help resolve BSOD "0x000000F4" error on new build.

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Blue Screen
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 16, 2011 7:27:21 PM

Hi, please take a look at my PC build and problem, if you can offer any advise in regards to fixing the error, I would be most grateful.

My PC:

CPU: Intel i5 2500K 6MB

MOBO: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB (2x4GB)

HDD: Spinpoint 1TB 7200 SATAII 32MB

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5

SSD: Crucial Real SSD M4 64GB

PSU: Novatech Powerstation 850W

DVDRW: LG 24x DVDRW SATA OEM

OS: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM

My problem: Since date of purchase the PC has been experiencing BSOD, with error code "0x000000F4".

First one came about an hour after I first booted the machine, after installing Windows 7 + windows updates+ drivers.

These errors usually occur when I am gaming (which is what I spending the majority of the time on my PC doing), although these BSOD errors have also occured on simple things like clicking a chat tab on facebook. I have found it always seems to be a reaction to an action.

Furthermore I have sent the machine back to the supplier about 2 or 3 times, each time they have sent it back saying they have found no issues. Yet each time that is quite obviously not the case.


I have had a friend look at the machine, (who used to run/maintain a internet gaming cafe), he ran multiple tests from boot to check the memory integrity which I believe turned up with positive results, which took at least 3-4 hours to complete. Since then he has not had the time to further look at it. I have run Memory tests myself, and also graphics stress tests which have never failed or caused a BSOD. I have also reformatted the PC and tried to install drivers + updates as sensibly as possible more times then I care to remember.

I worked 6-7 months to afford this machine, and to say I am getting frustrated unfortunately is starting to reach the point of being a drastic understatement.

If you can offer advise on whether I can find out if it is a hardware/software issue, how I may go around fixing it or any general advise to do with deducing if the supplier is possibly taking me for a ride, I would be extremely grateful.

Please just let me know if any more information on my set-up is needed.

Thanks.

S.R.


More about : resolve bsod 0x000000f4 error build

Best solution

December 16, 2011 9:24:11 PM

Swap part.

Try a different hard drive (seriously)

Try running minus 1 dimm, then minus the other

Try different video

Try PSU swap.

Eventually you'll find it.
Share
December 16, 2011 11:09:30 PM

The first thing I would suggest is to run memtest86. See if you get errors. If you get errors you either have to bump up the memory voltage or reduce the timings. Report back when you do this and let us know what the outcome is and we can go from there.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 17, 2011 3:51:15 PM

Thank you both for your replies.

ahnilated said:
The first thing I would suggest is to run memtest86. See if you get errors. If you get errors you either have to bump up the memory voltage or reduce the timings. Report back when you do this and let us know what the outcome is and we can go from there.


I have run memtest86+. After removing one DIMM, the module in the primary slot has had 6 passes. I have just swapped them over and the second module has just completed its 2nd pass - both without error. I shall continue to run for the second module for another 4 passes to see how it gets on.

I have just remembered (stupid of me not to mention before) - my original graphics card was an ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II Edition, the BSOD errors also occurred when this was installed.

Tests which I have run which have had no failures:

Preformance 2D-3D PassMark
BurnIn Test
Memory Test

Does this narrow it down to a possible CPU, MOBO, HDD/SSD or PSU issue?

Have I tested my RAM modules with run memtest86+ for enough passes to be confident they are in working order?

Thanks again. S.R.
m
0
l
December 17, 2011 8:10:18 PM

I have a similar issue and perhaps we can figure this out the problem.

My PC:
CPU: Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980

MOBO: ASUS Rampage III Black Edition LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

SSD: Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

OS: MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OEM

Problem: I get BSOD but only after I run CoD MWF3 in Multiplayer (immediately after I click find game do I get BSOD). Aside from this I have never gotten BSOD except when I installed iTunes, but have not tried to install it since. CoD works fine in single player and BF3 plays perfectly.


When the computer restarts I receive this message:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF880059D96D6
BCP3: FFFFF88014FD2F80
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\121611-11778-01.dmp
C:\Users\Houston\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-26832-0.sysdata.xml


I have updated the BIOS and drivers for the motherboard and gpu.
I have ran multiple passes of memtest86 without failures and also tested the RAM by starting the cpu with 2, 3, 4, 5, and then all 6 DIMM in different orders without failure.
When I first built this system the MOBO would not read the SSD and so Kingston replaced it. After this it boots off it although I would like to add that when I boot up it reads "detecting drives: no drives found."

Any suggestions?
m
0
l
December 17, 2011 10:12:44 PM

Sorry to hear your in the same boat, not a good place to be !

arcticmonkey said:


Problem: I get BSOD but only after I run CoD MWF3 in Multiplayer (immediately after I click find game do I get BSOD). Aside from this I have never gotten BSOD except when I installed iTunes, but have not tried to install it since. CoD works fine in single player and BF3 plays perfectly.



I have found there is no way of recreating a BSOD error on my PC.

Strangely enough, the only thing which is concrete which without a doubt will lead to an error, is when I am playing Battlefield 3. Sometimes the game will glitch and I will be able to cycle through weapons/items, yet they will not appear 'in hand'. No matter whether I quit the server/game, a BSOD will always follow shortly afterwards.

Situations I have encountered BSOD:

Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Team Fortress 2, (which runs fine on my 6-7 year old PC :fou: ).

Following links on the internet, and as of 5 minutes ago typing out a reply on tom's hardware, (Skyrim was running in background).

Strangely enough never when I have been running diagnostics tests mentioned above.

articmonkey does your RAM feature the low voltage/CAS settings? Please keep us up to date if you manage to get your rig sorted !

anhilated, any more guidance to do with a diagnosis of the problem?

I am starting to think that perhaps the error is not down to faulty hardware, but in the way the options are set up in the BIOS. I have no real knowledge on the matter, therefore I have not gone changing options in the BIOS since I purchased the components, and of course why I have sought advise on here.

If anyone else has any suggestions not posted above please feel free to contribute.

Thanks.








m
0
l
December 17, 2011 11:04:10 PM

Try running the system for a while without the SSD drive. They are known to cause BSOD's too. You probably have your Operating system on this drive making it tougher to test like this.
m
0
l
December 17, 2011 11:54:44 PM

Second DIMM module has also completed 6 passes of Memtest86+ without error.

ahnilated said:
Try running the system for a while without the SSD drive. They are known to cause BSOD's too. You probably have your Operating system on this drive making it tougher to test like this.



I shall disconnect the SSD drive and see if I get any luck. Appreciate you coming back to me on that one ahnilated.


I jotted down the details from my last BSOD and it showed as this:

KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x0000007A

( 0FFFFF6FC50014ED8,

0x000000001719D880,

0xFFFFF8A0029DB000 )

Does this new error code shed any light on the situation? Have tried using Google to define these codes with no joy as of yet...
m
0
l
December 18, 2011 8:00:53 PM

That helps a ton. That a bad page-in... io error when trying to read a page back from page file/swap file.

What disk has teh pagefile? (bet the SSD).

Swap out the SSD. Find an old, small sata drive. Use a tool like ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE to move a copy of the SSD to the other drive. Make sure the boot seqence find this new drive as the boot drive. (After copy plug it's sata connector to the same sata port previously used by the SSD). Boot. See if problem went away.

ALSO the drive with the pagefile will have SMART data you should examine. Download a diagnostic tool from the disk manufacturer (typically a free download) and read the SMART data. See if it is reporting errors.

m
0
l
December 18, 2011 8:05:04 PM

Found this also:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854944.aspx

"User Action:

If the I/O status is C0000185 and the paging file is on a SCSI disk, the disk cabling and SCSI termination should be checked for problems. Check your computer for viruses, using any up-to-date, commercial virus scanning software that examines the Master Boot Record of the hard disk. An I/O status code of 0xC000009C or 0xC000016A normally indicates the data cannot be read from the disk due to a bad block (sector). If you can restart the system after the error, Autochk runs automatically and attempts to map out the bad sector. If Autochk does not scan the hard disk for errors, manually launch the disk scanner. Run Chkdsk /f /r on the system partition. Restart the system before the disk scan begins. If you cannot start the system due to the error, use the Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r. Caution: If your system partition is formatted with the FAT file system, the long file names used by Windows 2000 can be damaged if Scandisk or another MS-DOSbased hard disk tool is used to verify the integrity of your hard disk from an MS-DOS prompt. (An MS-DOS prompt is typically derived from an MS-DOS startup disk or from starting MS-DOS on a multiboot system.) Always use the Windows 2000 version of Chkdsk on Windows 2000 disks. Another common cause of this Stop message is failing RAM. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer, especially the memory scanner. For details on these procedures, see the owners manual for your computer. Check that all network adapters in the computer are properly seated. Use an ink eraser or an electrical contact treatment, available at electronics supply stores, to ensure network adapter contacts are clean. Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it. Finally, if all the above steps fail to resolve the error, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing. A crack, a scratched trace, or a defective component on the motherboard can also cause this error. For more troubleshooting information about this Stop message, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/support.
m
0
l
December 26, 2011 7:02:35 PM

RAM:
Cas Latency: 9
Timing: 9-9-9-24
Voltage: 1.5V

I'll see if I can find an old HDD to test if the BSOD happens on it.

Asus already said they would replace my motherboard but they are currently out of stock of it so in the mean time I'll see if perhaps the motherboard is not the issue.
m
0
l
January 2, 2012 9:03:22 AM

tsnor said:
That helps a ton. That a bad page-in... io error when trying to read a page back from page file/swap file.

What disk has teh pagefile? (bet the SSD).

Swap out the SSD. Find an old, small sata drive. Use a tool like ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE to move a copy of the SSD to the other drive. Make sure the boot seqence find this new drive as the boot drive. (After copy plug it's sata connector to the same sata port previously used by the SSD). Boot. See if problem went away.

ALSO the drive with the pagefile will have SMART data you should examine. Download a diagnostic tool from the disk manufacturer (typically a free download) and read the SMART data. See if it is reporting errors.


Pagefile is on the HDD.

Unfortunately, for the time being, I can't get my hands on a alternative SATA drive. I have downloaded SeaTools and will run the short + long test (I believe this checks the SMART data?)

Will report back when I have completed the steps you posted from Microsoft, although I am finding progress with them slow as I find the technicalities a little overwhelming.

After checking event viewer in the past 7 days I have had 24 critical errors, 65 errors and 31 warnings.

articmonkey would like to hear how it works out with you, after I visit the Citizens Advice Bureau on Tuesday I may take it straight back to the supplier. Maybe that will help them becoming a bit more proactive in finding a solution to this issue.

Happy & healthy new year to you all :) 
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 5:13:45 PM

OK, I have the same problem with Battlefield 3 as SazzerRezzer. I just upgraded my machine from a GT250 (which worked fine) to a gtx570 overclocked. I believe the problem to be the PSU. Looking at the other two set of specs listed I think it might be the same issue for the both of you. What I recon is your PSUs is not capable of delivering enough wattage for all the components. Fortunately I work at a PC shop and I'll test this theory in the morning.

Will report back tomorrow night! Hang tight
m
0
l
January 3, 2012 9:49:15 PM

If two people having problem with Battlefield 3 and not with other software then BF3 is probably doing something wierd or bad.

1. upgrade to latest BIOS in case BF3 is calling an unusual system service that was not well used/tested at time your PC shipped.
2. Look for patches for BF3
3. Post in BF3 forum, look for others with issue. Maybe an incompatibiltiy between BF3 and some level of other SW.

Good Luck
m
0
l
January 4, 2012 7:19:51 AM

Allrighty folks, installed a new test PSU tested it for an hour and no fault as yet. I had to make sure that I carry enough amps over the 12v rails to the graphics card to power it and enough spare wattage for the rest of the system.

Have a look here SazzerRezzer: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-158...
Minimum psu you need is a 600w, then you have a 2500k and a solid state drive. I recommend you take your pc into a decent shop and have them test it with a 1kw psu.

And arcticmonkey.... 1.5kw
m
0
l
January 10, 2012 3:07:01 PM

exotex said:
Allrighty folks, installed a new test PSU tested it for an hour and no fault as yet. I had to make sure that I carry enough amps over the 12v rails to the graphics card to power it and enough spare wattage for the rest of the system.

Have a look here SazzerRezzer: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=015-P3-158...
Minimum psu you need is a 600w, then you have a 2500k and a solid state drive. I recommend you take your pc into a decent shop and have them test it with a 1kw psu.

And arcticmonkey.... 1.5kw


Thanks for the input exotex, Did your PSU upgrade permanently resolve your BSOD errors? I will be definitely look into this as my first part to test my rig.

If you are right then the 3 parts I bought from the company on their advice, (Case, GPU, PSU), have all let me down after being mis-sold.

Least it would mean more free upgrades coming my way :) 

I shall pick a best answer when/if I get this resolved.

Thanks to everyone who else helped so far - others please feel free to add if there is anything else to check, as like I stated the issue is still on going.
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 8:45:55 AM

SazzerRezzer said:
Hi, please take a look at my PC build and problem, if you can offer any advise in regards to fixing the error, I would be most grateful.

My PC:

CPU: Intel i5 2500K 6MB

MOBO: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB (2x4GB)

HDD: Spinpoint 1TB 7200 SATAII 32MB

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5

SSD: Crucial Real SSD M4 64GB

PSU: Novatech Powerstation 850W

DVDRW: LG 24x DVDRW SATA OEM

OS: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM

My problem: Since date of purchase the PC has been experiencing BSOD, with error code "0x000000F4".

First one came about an hour after I first booted the machine, after installing Windows 7 + windows updates+ drivers.

These errors usually occur when I am gaming (which is what I spending the majority of the time on my PC doing), although these BSOD errors have also occured on simple things like clicking a chat tab on facebook. I have found it always seems to be a reaction to an action.

Furthermore I have sent the machine back to the supplier about 2 or 3 times, each time they have sent it back saying they have found no issues. Yet each time that is quite obviously not the case.


I have had a friend look at the machine, (who used to run/maintain a internet gaming cafe), he ran multiple tests from boot to check the memory integrity which I believe turned up with positive results, which took at least 3-4 hours to complete. Since then he has not had the time to further look at it. I have run Memory tests myself, and also graphics stress tests which have never failed or caused a BSOD. I have also reformatted the PC and tried to install drivers + updates as sensibly as possible more times then I care to remember.

I worked 6-7 months to afford this machine, and to say I am getting frustrated unfortunately is starting to reach the point of being a drastic understatement.

If you can offer advise on whether I can find out if it is a hardware/software issue, how I may go around fixing it or any general advise to do with deducing if the supplier is possibly taking me for a ride, I would be extremely grateful.

Please just let me know if any more information on my set-up is needed.

Thanks.

S.R.


Upon the 4th time it was back with the supplier, they found that it was a faulty HDD. Without trying to sound too aloof, why they didn't find that the past 3 times it was with them is beyond me.

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.
m
0
l
February 16, 2012 8:46:32 AM

Best answer selected by SazzerRezzer.
m
0
l
March 6, 2012 12:18:00 AM

I thought my BSOD issue was gone but I just got it again after clicking "Find Game" in MW3. The BCP codes changed as well, they are posted on the bottom of this reply.
Months ago I received a new SSD and just recently I spent about $1000 on a 1450W power supply and and new graphics card. Again, when I play Battlefield 3 I have yet to get the BSOD.
I'm trying but am running out of money and ideas to test the theories in this thread of what the problem could be.

I'm not sure if this helps, but it seems I get the BSOD when I open MW3 quickly after starting the computer or click "Find Game" quickly after opening MW3. If I wait a few minutes before proceeding with either it usually works.



CPU: Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980

MOBO: ASUS Rampage III Black Edition LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard

SSD: Kingston HyperX SH100S3B/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

GPU now in SLI: 2 EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T2-24GBRL

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-1475M 1475W ATX 12V 2.3 & SSI EPS 12V 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

OS: MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit OEM


Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: d1
BCP1: 0000000001A8000B
BCP2: 0000000000000002
BCP3: 0000000000000001
BCP4: FFFFF8800F25E7C1
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
m
0
l
!