D70 strange behavior, dark section of photos

Last response: in Digital Camera
May 5, 2005 9:32:14 PM

Hi all,
I have a weird problem that I am really hoping somebody here might have some
insight on before I have to call Nikon. Every once in a while I'll shoot a
picture and about the top 1/3 of it will be darker all the way across. Doesn't
make any difference if the flash is up or not, doesn't seem to make any
difference what "mode" I'm in. No settings seem to make much difference....
just every once in a while I'll fire off a shot, and some portion of it is
darker, like shadowed in a straight line all the way across.

I see it in the LCD screen, but it is being written to the Compact Flash card
that way too, because they come off the card that way.

Anybody seen this before???

Thanks tons!

Tim
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 11:59:01 PM

It certainly sounds like the old flash-synch problem when shooting with
flash above the synch speed, but you said it wasn't just on flash
shots, so yes, it appears to be a shutter fault. I hope it is still
under warranty..
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 2:33:13 AM

Yeah, it's only 60 days old... I guess the warranty is probably 90 days or
something; I figure on checking on it in the morning.

Tim

<chrlz@go.com> wrote in message
It certainly sounds like the old flash-synch problem when shooting with
flash above the synch speed, but you said it wasn't just on flash
shots, so yes, it appears to be a shutter fault. I hope it is still
under warranty..
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 2:33:14 AM

See if you can get the seller to replace it.
Good luck.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

"Destin_FL" <mounttimmy@yahoo.com> writes:
> Yeah, it's only 60 days old... I guess the warranty is probably 90
> days or something; I figure on checking on it in the morning.

1 year warranty, 2 year extended Nikon warranty available for about
$50 from Adorama.
May 6, 2005 4:19:08 AM

"Destin_FL" <mounttimmy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I have a weird problem that I am really hoping somebody here might have
> some
> insight on before I have to call Nikon. Every once in a while I'll shoot
> picture and about the top 1/3 of it will be darker all the way across.
> Doesn't
> make any difference if the flash is up or not, doesn't seem to make any
> difference what "mode" I'm in. No settings seem to make much
> difference....
> just every once in a while I'll fire off a shot, and some portion of it is
> darker, like shadowed in a straight line all the way across.
>
> I see it in the LCD screen, but it is being written to the Compact Flash
> card
> that way too, because they come off the card that way.
>
> Anybody seen this before???
>
> Thanks tons!
>
> Tim

Hi there.

I hate to say it, but it sounds as if you have a shutter fault.

If it is an intermittant fault then it is most likely that there is some
dirt in one of the tracks, or on one of the blades, which is causing one
curtain to run slow for part of its travel.

Putting the Camera in for a service, should solve this, but do mention the
fault just to make sure.

It could also be that the shutter mechanism might need replacing. and that
will be expensive. Nikon used to charge about 3 times as much for their
shutters as Canon.

Either way it is a job for the professionals.

Do NOT attempt to clean it yourself, you will almost certainly bend one of
the blades and that WILL mean a new shutter.

Roy G
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 8:07:43 PM

In article <N9xee.2415$cf5.781@lakeread07>, Destin_FL
<mounttimmy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a weird problem that I am really hoping somebody here might have some
> insight on before I have to call Nikon. Every once in a while I'll shoot a
> picture and about the top 1/3 of it will be darker all the way across.
> Doesn't
> make any difference if the flash is up or not, doesn't seem to make any
> difference what "mode" I'm in. No settings seem to make much difference....
> just every once in a while I'll fire off a shot, and some portion of it is
> darker, like shadowed in a straight line all the way across.

I think everyone's shutter suggestion is probably right, but you might
also try shooting on a different CF card just to make sure it's not in
the card. Unlikely, but cheap to test!

-=-Joe
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:03:31 PM

Destin_FL wrote:
> Yeah, it's only 60 days old... I guess the warranty is probably 90
> days or something; I figure on checking on it in the morning.
>
> Tim

Good thing it's under warranty :)
And while it's in for service, they should clean the inside including the
CCD.
Make sure you ask to be sure.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 3:26:14 AM

"Gaderian" <nospam@anisp.com> wrote:

> Destin_FL wrote:
>> Yeah, it's only 60 days old... I guess the warranty is probably 90
>> days or something; I figure on checking on it in the morning.
>>
>> Tim
>
> Good thing it's under warranty :)
> And while it's in for service, they should clean the inside including
> the CCD.
> Make sure you ask to be sure.

When Nikon cleans a CCD it usually comes back dirtier than when it went in.
!