Sign in with
Your question

I2500k temp questions

Last response: in CPUs
March 22, 2012 12:59:19 AM

i JUST built my computer, used an i2500k with a hyper 212 cooler. i had some difficulty getting the dang thing installed on my mobo. at any rate, i'm seeing some wide discrepancies in temps on my cores, specifically core 3. it seems to be consistently about 5 degrees above all of the other cores. can anyone verify or at least comfort me that these idle temps are not too bad? like i said, i'm mostly concerned about core 3 being so different from the others. is it possible i didn't get the AS5 spread across that 3rd core as well as the others? btw using Real Temp to evaluate temps.

core 1 - 31
core 2 - 29
core 3 - 34
core 4 - 27

More about : i2500k temp questions

a c 186 à CPUs
March 22, 2012 1:01:31 AM

It is fine, there will always be a 5-10C core temp fluctuation.
m
l
March 22, 2012 1:03:22 AM

thank you. also forgot to mention core 1 will randomly go from about 30 to 41 or so, then immediately back to 30. is that normal?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2012 1:05:26 AM

Those temps are very good at idle. 34 C is less than body temperature. I would not be concerned when you have these readings, but I'd still watch them for a period of time to see if Core 3 runs hotter. If it stays within 5 C I'd have little concern until my average core temps reached over 70 C at load.
m
l
March 22, 2012 2:25:05 AM

chesteracorgi said:
Those temps are very good at idle. 34 C is less than body temperature. I would not be concerned when you have these readings, but I'd still watch them for a period of time to see if Core 3 runs hotter. If it stays within 5 C I'd have little concern until my average core temps reached over 70 C at load.

i did prime95 for 1 hour and these are the max temps:

core 1 - 53
core 2 - 55
core 3 - 59
core 4 - 55

also these are stock speeds, so i'm a little worried with an OC it might get too hot? but i guess once the AS5 breaks in, the temps may reduce a bit?
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 22, 2012 3:04:04 AM

Just wait until as5 breaks in, takes 96hours to cure apparently..
m
l
March 22, 2012 3:54:40 AM

Those are great temps for load. You aren't having a problem.
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
March 22, 2012 3:59:38 AM

Bones2525 said:
Those are great temps for load. You aren't having a problem.

Those temps are actually a bit high, but that is because of AS5.
m
l
March 22, 2012 4:07:33 AM

AS5 break in only gives a few degree difference. I think your temps are fine. Like others said, aslong as at load they stay under 70c then its good to go. If you really want to, you could post pics of the case so we can see your airflow and wiring.
m
l
March 22, 2012 4:12:48 AM

kcsmacker said:
AS5 break in only gives a few degree difference. I think your temps are fine. Like others said, aslong as at load they stay under 70c then its good to go. If you really want to, you could post pics of the case so we can see your airflow and wiring.

thanks, i think airflow and wiring are both good. my PSU is modular and i set up the hyper 212 fan in the correct direction. though it looks like the hyper 212 is slightly off center of the mobo. that sounds weird, but i guess a better way to describe might be saying the edge of the heatsink and the edge of the mobo are not parallel, even though i would think they would be. does that make better sense? the full CPU is still being covered by the heatsink though, so maybe the slight tilt makes no difference.

i had to install some updates, and when i reinstalled it looks like my temps per core were jumping about 5 degrees as soon as i restarted for the first 2 minutes or so. now they are back to being steady at the low-mid 30s. is that 5 degree fluctuation or so at the beginning of a restart normal? thanks again.
m
l
March 22, 2012 5:24:48 AM

Well, I think as long as the actual heatsink is aligned correctly on the CPU I would think that would be the most important thing. A picture would explain it better I think sorry >_<. Also whatever your Room temperature is at could be effecting your overall temps as well has what you have your computer sitting on. ( carpet vs cold wood floor etc).

Another thing all together could be your case. What is it? what upgrades have you done to it? The overall airflow of the case could effect the temperature as well.
m
l
March 22, 2012 1:04:33 PM

kcsmacker said:
Well, I think as long as the actual heatsink is aligned correctly on the CPU I would think that would be the most important thing. A picture would explain it better I think sorry >_<. Also whatever your Room temperature is at could be effecting your overall temps as well has what you have your computer sitting on. ( carpet vs cold wood floor etc).

Another thing all together could be your case. What is it? what upgrades have you done to it? The overall airflow of the case could effect the temperature as well.

the heatsink is definitely covering the CPU. i will try and take a picture later. some may not even notice that it isn't completely square with the mobo.

i'm using this case, no mods. a 60mm fan in the front, 120mm fan out the rear. my PSU also has a 120mm fan, and so does the CPU heatsink. this is just the previous case i had my old rig in, so figured why not. the case is also in one of those desk-like drawers. the drawer has no front cover, just a cover on the backside of the motherboard, a half cover on the other side, and a partially open back piece. surprisingly the enclosure doesn't seem to affect airflow much, but that's probably because the front is open and so is half of one side.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

started it up this morning and it was 68 in my bedroom, and the cores after about 10 minutes of use in windows show:

core 1 - 28
core 2 - 27
core 3 - 32
core 4 - 26

the CPU clock is also at 1700mhz since it is idle, but those temps seem to be holding pretty consistently.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2012 3:27:16 PM

Intel's sensors are only accurate to +/- 5C from core to core so the amount of variation your CPU is showing is perfectly normal. CPU load can vary instantaneously from core to core so that means that the core temp can also do the same thing. After a resume from stand by, there are more background processes that need to be taken care of and brought up to date.

Check out RealTemp if you want an accurate look at the CPU Load or better yet, check out ThrottleStop if you want to see the load per thread. That data might help explain some of your questions.

ThrottleStop 4.10
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/
m
l
March 22, 2012 7:06:52 PM

Good info Unclewebb.

I would also say that your case has little airflow. After looking it over, it has no outtake fans on the top, very little fan intake on the side, and overall as low airflow. It would MAYBE help to get a case with more airflow but your temps are fine unless you wanted to overclock.
m
l
March 22, 2012 10:00:58 PM

kcsmacker said:
Good info Unclewebb.

I would also say that your case has little airflow. After looking it over, it has no outtake fans on the top, very little fan intake on the side, and overall as low airflow. It would MAYBE help to get a case with more airflow but your temps are fine unless you wanted to overclock.

thanks for both responses. i do eventually want to overclock, but nothing over the stock voltage...4.2 or so. i wonder how much that will raise temps since the vcore isn't changing?
m
l
!