Sign in with
Your question

Question about RAM and the ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Last response: in Memory
January 28, 2013 4:22:10 AM

Hey fellas.

So I'm planning on getting the ASRock Z77 Extreme4. My questions are:

1. 4×240pin. This is pretty self-explanatory but I still want confirmation. This means it can ONLY fit 4 RAMs that are 240 pin?

2. Do I have to fill all 4 slots or is it not necessary?

3. It says Maximum Memory Supported: 32GB. So this means the maximum amount of RAM it can support is 32gb. Would it harm the Mobo if I exceeded that maximum or would it just not be efficient?

4. Can I mix different types of RAMs from different manufacturers together or do they all have to be from the same company?

5. Is there a right and wrong way of buying RAM? Would installing 2 4GB RAM be the same as installing 1 8GB RAM if they were both from the exact same company and had the exact same specs? Or would 2 run more efficiently?

6. Last but not least, I see most mid-to-high-end gaming builds only buying 1 RAM stick (2 at most). For my build I can see the Corsair Vengeance is pretty good. But why is it that they don't fill up the 32GB maximum? Other than trying to lower the budget, do games need that much RAM anyways or will 1 8 GB be enough?

Thank you
a c 84 } Memory
January 28, 2013 4:40:42 AM

Shizuki said:
Hey fellas.

1. 4×240pin. This is pretty self-explanatory but I still want confirmation. This means it can ONLY fit 4 RAMs that are 240 pin?
oly use ddr-3 ram that 240 pins and 1.6v and less.
nope the min of any new mb is one slot.

3. It says Maximum Memory Supported: 32GB. So this means the maximum amount of RAM it can support is 32gb. Would it harm the Mobo if I exceeded that maximum or would it just not be efficient?
most mb wont post or wont read the extra ram.

4. Can I mix different types of RAMs from different manufacturers together or do they all have to be from the same company?
mixing ram can cause blue screens. you have to make sure the ram speed and timing and voltages are the same. the other issues is ram vendors swap ram chips from lot to lot. it always the best best to max the system out at the time of build.

5. Is there a right and wrong way of buying RAM? Would installing 2 4GB RAM be the same as installing 1 8GB RAM if they were both from the exact same company and had the exact same specs? Or would 2 run more efficiently?
new mb 1155/1156 and amd have two banks on the mb. with two dimms you run is a slightly faster two channel mode. with one dimm you run in singal channel mode.

6. Last but not least, I see most mid-to-high-end gaming builds only buying 1 RAM stick (2 at most). For my build I can see the Corsair Vengeance is pretty good. But why is it that they don't fill up the 32GB maximum? Other than trying to lower the budget, do games need that much RAM anyways or will 1 8 GB be enough? you have to think of ram as a book or page. the more ram you have the more apps and windows you can run at once. most gaming system 8g is fine your giving the os and games a lot of ram to work with. if you do photoshop or video editing or cad having a little more ram 16g will help. anything more then 16g in today system with windows 8 is a waste.

if your going to use an after market heat sink look into using low profile ram to fit under the heat sink. also with mb read the mb qal list for tested ram. not all ram will run in all mb. some ram wont run with all 4 stick in some mb. the qal list is a guild also look to see if the ram vendor tested there ram in that mb.

Thank you

m
l
June 14, 2013 11:41:29 AM

HI good afternoon

1. Yes only 240pin will work nothing else, on the asrock site you can check recommended modules and setups

2. no it is not necessary;

3. 32gig is overkill beyond overkill, no normal pc user or even heavy gamer will never use more then 16. Harm mobo if you exceed no idea never tried. System will probably show error during post and not boot.

4. As a ground rule never mix different brandes or timings.

5. As for specific setups not really sure but I think using two modules is better as it can acces 2 modules at the same time wich give you beter performance. I think because there is a lot of discussion on the subject.

6. no system uses that amound of ram so installing it makes no sense
you are better of spending money on faster RAM then trying to reach mobo limitations.
Win7 x64 ulltimate will use 2gig of ram for example, adding a game, say 4gig? 8gig maybe crissis3 or similar.
I installed 16gig ram 2133 kingston hyperX on a extreme 4 running I7 3770K, samsung pro 256gig ssd, 3Tb WD, and my baby a saphire HD7970.
I'm thinking of switching them for faster 12gig ram.
Ramtimings are very important! especially the first number of the RAM timing 9-9-9-24.The lower the better!

m
l
Related resources
a c 174 } Memory
June 14, 2013 3:48:32 PM

Hello,:hello: 
Shizuki said:
Hey fellas.

6. Last but not least, I see most mid-to-high-end gaming builds only buying 1 RAM stick (2 at most). For my build I can see the Corsair Vengeance is pretty good. But why is it that they don't fill up the 32GB maximum? Other than trying to lower the budget, do games need that much RAM anyways or will 1 8 GB be enough?

Thank you

1. Both DDR2 and DDR3 DIMM supports 240 pin. But your motherboard supports only DDR3 240PIN Non-ECC memory, so it can only take DDR3. Moreover, the notches in the memory slot differ with DDR2 and DDR3.

2. No, it is not necessary nor mandatory. A minimum of 1 module must be installed or a minimum of 2 modules need to be installed if you are to use DUAL CHANNEL.

3. Yes, maximum amount it supports is 32GB. Max per slot is 8GB, so you can install four 8GB modules. Exceeding motherboard's memory limit is not an ideal option but they may or may not work. No, I don't think it will harm the motherboard but it may not boot up with the new memory. As of right now, only 32GB is max but if there is any BIOS upgrade which enhances the max memory in the future then you could give a try.

4. Do you mean "different speeds" or "different memory types like ECC, Non-ECC, Registered ECC memory" when you say different types of memory? If you are referring to mixing speeds then you must know mixing speeds is not a good option but yeah it should work. Mixing different types like ECC with Non-ECC or Non-ECC with Registered etc will not work as they are not compatible with each other. I do not recommend mixing different manufacturers as they can cause stability issues or sometimes they wont be compatible with each other. Same company, same speed, same latency (CL) and voltage is the best way to go about it.

5. Yes, the right way is to go for the highest frequency memory with the lowest latency. Yes, 2 x 4GB is same as 1 x 8GB when it comes to the amount of memory. But perfomance wise 2 x 4GB will run in Dual channel mode and the single 8GB module will in single channel mode. There is a performance increase of 10%-15% when the memory is running in Dual channel rather than single channel.

6. As mentioned in one of the previous post 32GB is an overkill. If you are a normal user then probably you won't be using more than 8GB of memory so there is no point of install 32GB. 8GB or 16GB should do good for most of all the softwares. 32GB is recommended only if you are overclocking, audio encoding (large files) or Video Rendering (large files) or using VMs. For gaming purpose 8GB should be okay and 16GB is not bad at all.

Whatever amount you choose to upgrade do not buy a single module. Also do not install the memory in all the four slots unless you are upgrading to 32GB. Modules in 4 slots run causing more stress to the memory controller than modules in 2 slots. Speed wise 1866MHz should be good. Hope that explains it all. Good luck.

m
l
a c 1945 } Memory
June 14, 2013 5:41:36 PM

Wore me out reading the above, but while a lot is covered - based on YOUR questions, then before providing any advice the big questions that need to be answered are what CPU do you plan on - this can play into how much DRAM you can use as well as how fast (high of a frequency) you can possibly use, next would need an idea of what all you do with your computer, I use this mobo in one of my rigs shown at the right, so am rather familiar with it.
m
l
!