Search Companion

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I had turned off the animated search character on my
laptop. I now want to turn it back on, but all the info I
can find on this subject tells me to click start, then
search, then in the Search Companion dialog box, click
Change Preferences. Except when I click on search, all
that comes up is a 'search results' window with a
search 'bar' on the left hand side and a display frame on
the right. I can't see any place to 'change preferences'.
Can anyone help me?

Hi Sean,

Click on Start > Search > Change preferences > With an animated ...

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:112001c48bde$621f5e40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>I had turned off the animated search character on my
> laptop. I now want to turn it back on, but all the info I
> can find on this subject tells me to click start, then
> search, then in the Search Companion dialog box, click
> Change Preferences. Except when I click on search, all
> that comes up is a 'search results' window with a
> search 'bar' on the left hand side and a display frame on
> the right. I can't see any place to 'change preferences'.
> Can anyone help me?

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, but as my original post states, "I can't find the 'change
preferences' link or button or whatever it looks like", all that comes up is
a Windows Explorer type window with a left side bar showing 'Search for Files
and Folders'. Where is the option to 'CHANGE PREFERENCES'?????

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> Click on Start > Search > Change preferences > With an animated ...
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:112001c48bde$621f5e40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> >I had turned off the animated search character on my
> > laptop. I now want to turn it back on, but all the info I
> > can find on this subject tells me to click start, then
> > search, then in the Search Companion dialog box, click
> > Change Preferences. Except when I click on search, all
> > that comes up is a 'search results' window with a
> > search 'bar' on the left hand side and a display frame on
> > the right. I can't see any place to 'change preferences'.
> > Can anyone help me?

| "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| wrote in message news:112001c48bde$621f5e40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| I had turned off the animated search character on my
| laptop. I now want to turn it back on, but all the info I
| can find on this subject tells me to click start, then
| search, then in the Search Companion dialog box, click
| Change Preferences. Except when I click on search, all
| that comes up is a 'search results' window with a
| search 'bar' on the left hand side and a display frame on
| the right. I can't see any place to 'change preferences'.
| Can anyone help me?

Perhaps the Windows XP Search Companion Interface has been
disabled by using the registry modification described in the
following Microsoft Documentation
[CabinetState, Use Search Asst "no"].

If it has the Search View will look like the Microsoft
Windows 2000 Search Companion - sans a Change Preferences link.

For more information see the following Microsoft Documentation:

TechNet Home | Products & Technologies
Desktop Operating Systems
Windows XP Professional | Maintain
Using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 in a Managed
Environment
Search Companion
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpmanaged/23_xpsch.mspx

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for the help, except I don't have that registry key. I have 3 keys in
the CabinetState key, they are FullPath, FullPathAddress and Settings, and a
(Default) that is not set. The Path keys are DWORD keys and the Settings key
is BINARY.

"Carrie Garth" wrote:

> | "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> | wrote in message news:112001c48bde$621f5e40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> | I had turned off the animated search character on my
> | laptop. I now want to turn it back on, but all the info I
> | can find on this subject tells me to click start, then
> | search, then in the Search Companion dialog box, click
> | Change Preferences. Except when I click on search, all
> | that comes up is a 'search results' window with a
> | search 'bar' on the left hand side and a display frame on
> | the right. I can't see any place to 'change preferences'.
> | Can anyone help me?
>
> Perhaps the Windows XP Search Companion Interface has been
> disabled by using the registry modification described in the
> following Microsoft Documentation
> [CabinetState, Use Search Asst "no"].
>
> If it has the Search View will look like the Microsoft
> Windows 2000 Search Companion - sans a Change Preferences link.
>
> For more information see the following Microsoft Documentation:
>
> TechNet Home | Products & Technologies
> Desktop Operating Systems
> Windows XP Professional | Maintain
> Using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 in a Managed
> Environment
> Search Companion
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpmanaged/23_xpsch.mspx

Hmmm interesting...could you e-mail me a screenshot of the window ? To take a screenshot, open the window in question
and press ALT+PRNT SCRN. The PRNT SCRN button is usually located in the top right hand corner of keyboards. After that
open MS Paint and paste the image there and save it as a JPEG. Email the JPG to me.

--

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A6D214C-A217-4C43-B9CA-E5E27541A999@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, but as my original post states, "I can't find the 'change
> preferences' link or button or whatever it looks like", all that comes up is
> a Windows Explorer type window with a left side bar showing 'Search for Files
> and Folders'. Where is the option to 'CHANGE PREFERENCES'?????
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> Click on Start > Search > Change preferences > With an animated ...
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:112001c48bde$621f5e40$a301280a@phx.gbl...
>> >I had turned off the animated search character on my
>> > laptop. I now want to turn it back on, but all the info I
>> > can find on this subject tells me to click start, then
>> > search, then in the Search Companion dialog box, click
>> > Change Preferences. Except when I click on search, all
>> > that comes up is a 'search results' window with a
>> > search 'bar' on the left hand side and a display frame on
>> > the right. I can't see any place to 'change preferences'.
>> > Can anyone help me?

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Sure. Where do I find your email address so that I can attach a file?

"Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Hmmm interesting...could you e-mail me a screenshot of the window ? To take a screenshot, open the window in question
> and press ALT+PRNT SCRN. The PRNT SCRN button is usually located in the top right hand corner of keyboards. After that
> open MS Paint and paste the image there and save it as a JPEG. Email the JPG to me.
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A6D214C-A217-4C43-B9CA-E5E27541A999@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks, but as my original post states, "I can't find the 'change
> > preferences' link or button or whatever it looks like", all that comes up is
> > a Windows Explorer type window with a left side bar showing 'Search for Files
> > and Folders'. Where is the option to 'CHANGE PREFERENCES'?????
> >
> > "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Sean,
> >>
> >> Click on Start > Search > Change preferences > With an animated ...
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Anando
> >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> >> http://www.mvps.org
> >>
> >> Folder customizations
> >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
> >>
> >> Protect your PC!
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

anandoATmvpsDOTorg :eek:)

--

:| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
:| Message news:%23jwPOzEjEHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
:| Perhaps the Windows XP Search Companion Interface has been
:| disabled by using the registry modification described in the
:| following Microsoft Documentation <SNIP>
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpmanaged/23_xpsch.mspx

| "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Message news:47BE7DE9-DAD9-408A-AF7C-1B1729294D98@microsoft.com
| Thanks for the help, except I don't have that registry key. I
| have 3 keys in the CabinetState key, they are FullPath,
| FullPathAddress and Settings, and a (Default) that is not set.
| The Path keys are DWORD keys and the Settings key is BINARY.

YW.

And about that registry key, a default install of Microsoft
Windows XP does not create it, so "no worries about"
(and the reason for my "Perhaps"...)

And another perhaps...

with the screenshot, "Anando [MS-MVP]" (a Shell Expert)
will be able to find the solution. GL and if the solution is
found, please post it!

REFERENCE:
From: "Anando [MS-MVP]"
Subject: Re: Search Companion
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:39:21 -0300
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
Google Groups Link:
http://www.google.com/groups?selm=uC1HcCLjEHA.3664%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Carrie:
I think you are on the right track. It must be a setting or registry setting
because it follows me around on any workstation I log on to on the network.
If someone else logs onto my computer they are able to use the search
companion. When I click on search it comes up with a sidebar to search for
files and folders. I am looking through technet to find something. I also
just installed SP2.

"Carrie Garth" wrote:

> |:| "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |:| wrote in message
> |:| I had turned off the animated search character on my
> |:| laptop. I now want to turn it back on, but all the info I
> |:| can find on this subject tells me to click start, then
> |:| search, then in the Search Companion dialog box, click
> |:| Change Preferences. Except when I click on search, all
> |:| that comes up is a 'search results' window with a
> |:| search 'bar' on the left hand side and a display frame on
> |:| the right. I can't see any place to 'change preferences'.
> |:| Can anyone help me?
>
> :| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
> :| Message news:%23jwPOzEjEHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> :| Perhaps the Windows XP Search Companion Interface has been
> :| disabled by using the registry modification described in the
> :| following Microsoft Documentation <SNIP>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpmanaged/23_xpsch.mspx
>
> | "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com>
> | Message news:47BE7DE9-DAD9-408A-AF7C-1B1729294D98@microsoft.com
> | Thanks for the help, except I don't have that registry key. I
> | have 3 keys in the CabinetState key, they are FullPath,
> | FullPathAddress and Settings, and a (Default) that is not set.
> | The Path keys are DWORD keys and the Settings key is BINARY.
>
> YW.
>
> And about that registry key, a default install of Microsoft
> Windows XP does not create it, so "no worries about"
> (and the reason for my "Perhaps"...)
>
> And another perhaps...
>
> with the screenshot, "Anando [MS-MVP]" (a Shell Expert)
> will be able to find the solution. GL and if the solution is
> found, please post it!
>
> REFERENCE:
> From: "Anando [MS-MVP]"
> Subject: Re: Search Companion
> Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:39:21 -0300
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
> Google Groups Link:
> http://www.google.com/groups?selm=uC1HcCLjEHA.3664%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

:|:|: "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
:|:|: Message news:112001c48bde$621f5e40$a301280a@phx.gbl
:|:|: <SNIP> when I click on search, all that comes up is a
:|:|: 'search results' window with a search 'bar' on the left
:|:|: hand side and a display frame on the right. I can't see any
:|:|: place to 'change preferences'. Can anyone help me?

|:|: "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
|:|: Message news:%23jwPOzEjEHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
|:|: Perhaps the Windows XP Search Companion Interface has been
|:|: disabled by using the registry modification described in the
|:|: following Microsoft Documentation <SNIP>
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpmanaged/23_xpsch.mspx

:|: "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com>
:|: news:47BE7DE9-DAD9-408A-AF7C-1B1729294D98@microsoft.com
:|: I don't have that registry key. <SNIP>

:| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
:| Message news:ecdX0kSjEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
:| <SNIP> a default install of Microsoft Windows XP does not
:| create it, so "no worries about" <SNIP>

| "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Carrie:
| I think you are on the right track. It must be a setting or
| registry setting because it follows me around on any
| workstation I log on to on the network. If someone else logs
| onto my computer they are able to use the search companion.
| When I click on search it comes up with a sidebar to search for
| files and folders. I am looking through technet to find
| something. I also just installed SP2.

Hmmm, if "it follows me around on any workstation I log on to on
the network" then I suppose your computer is a member of a
domain. A domain where a Domain Administrator can customize your
computing environment, redirect your Profile, etc.. If that
statement is correct then I suggest that you discuss this issue
with that Administrator.

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I had previously checked with the SA and he ahd said that nothing was done on
their part nor could they know of a change back. Like I stated before, other
coworkers can logon to my workstation and use Search Companion but I can not,
nor can I use it on any other PC on the network. This must be a user specific
problem that needs to be reset somewhere (ie Registry).

"Carrie Garth" wrote:

> :|:|: "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> :|:|: Message news:112001c48bde$621f5e40$a301280a@phx.gbl
> :|:|: <SNIP> when I click on search, all that comes up is a
> :|:|: 'search results' window with a search 'bar' on the left
> :|:|: hand side and a display frame on the right. I can't see any
> :|:|: place to 'change preferences'. Can anyone help me?
>
> |:|: "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
> |:|: Message news:%23jwPOzEjEHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> |:|: Perhaps the Windows XP Search Companion Interface has been
> |:|: disabled by using the registry modification described in the
> |:|: following Microsoft Documentation <SNIP>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpmanaged/23_xpsch.mspx
>
> :|: "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com>
> :|: news:47BE7DE9-DAD9-408A-AF7C-1B1729294D98@microsoft.com
> :|: I don't have that registry key. <SNIP>
>
> :| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
> :| Message news:ecdX0kSjEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
> :| <SNIP> a default install of Microsoft Windows XP does not
> :| create it, so "no worries about" <SNIP>
>
> | "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com>
> | Carrie:
> | I think you are on the right track. It must be a setting or
> | registry setting because it follows me around on any
> | workstation I log on to on the network. If someone else logs
> | onto my computer they are able to use the search companion.
> | When I click on search it comes up with a sidebar to search for
> | files and folders. I am looking through technet to find
> | something. I also just installed SP2.
>
> Hmmm, if "it follows me around on any workstation I log on to on
> the network" then I suppose your computer is a member of a
> domain. A domain where a Domain Administrator can customize your
> computing environment, redirect your Profile, etc.. If that
> statement is correct then I suggest that you discuss this issue
> with that Administrator.

> ...nor can I use it on any other PC on the network...

Therefore this *cannot* be a "user specific problem" on *your* PC.

Tell your SA that other coworkers can logon to *your* workstation
and use Search Companion but *you* can not, nor can *you* use it
on any other PC on the network. If he refuses to repair your
problem, then escalate to a higher level of support.

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
| I had previously checked with the SA and he ahd said that nothing was done on
| their part nor could they know of a change back. Like I stated before, other
| coworkers can logon to my workstation and use Search Companion but I can not,
| nor can I use it on any other PC on the network. This must be a user specific
| problem that needs to be reset somewhere (ie Registry).
|
| "Carrie Garth" wrote:
|
| > :|:|: "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
| > :|:|: Message news:112001c48bde$621f5e40$a301280a@phx.gbl
| > :|:|: <SNIP> when I click on search, all that comes up is a
| > :|:|: 'search results' window with a search 'bar' on the left
| > :|:|: hand side and a display frame on the right. I can't see any
| > :|:|: place to 'change preferences'. Can anyone help me?
| >
| > |:|: "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
| > |:|: Message news:%23jwPOzEjEHA.2500@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| > |:|: Perhaps the Windows XP Search Companion Interface has been
| > |:|: disabled by using the registry modification described in the
| > |:|: following Microsoft Documentation <SNIP>
| > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpmanaged/23_xpsch.mspx
| >
| > :|: "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com>
| > :|: news:47BE7DE9-DAD9-408A-AF7C-1B1729294D98@microsoft.com
| > :|: I don't have that registry key. <SNIP>
| >
| > :| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
| > :| Message news:ecdX0kSjEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
| > :| <SNIP> a default install of Microsoft Windows XP does not
| > :| create it, so "no worries about" <SNIP>
| >
| > | "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com>
| > | Carrie:
| > | I think you are on the right track. It must be a setting or
| > | registry setting because it follows me around on any
| > | workstation I log on to on the network. If someone else logs
| > | onto my computer they are able to use the search companion.
| > | When I click on search it comes up with a sidebar to search for
| > | files and folders. I am looking through technet to find
| > | something. I also just installed SP2.
| >
| > Hmmm, if "it follows me around on any workstation I log on to on
| > the network" then I suppose your computer is a member of a
| > domain. A domain where a Domain Administrator can customize your
| > computing environment, redirect your Profile, etc.. If that
| > statement is correct then I suggest that you discuss this issue
| > with that Administrator.

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

When I say 'User Specific', I mean it is specific to me (the user) hence
'User Specific' to me. The SA is the only tech person on our system (ie. an
network of 100 PCs). He is in charge of everything at our location. Since the
problem was a change by me and is specific to my profile, I am saying that I
must make the required change to the registry from my profile in order for it
to take effect. Except I don't know what changes to make as the correct way
from changing FROM Classic Search to Search Companion because the Change
Preferences option is not available to me.

"anonymouse" wrote:

> > ...nor can I use it on any other PC on the network...
>
> Therefore this *cannot* be a "user specific problem" on *your* PC.
>
> Tell your SA that other coworkers can logon to *your* workstation
> and use Search Companion but *you* can not, nor can *you* use it
> on any other PC on the network. If he refuses to repair your
> problem, then escalate to a higher level of support.
>

> "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> | I had previously checked with the SA and he ahd said that nothing was done on
> | their part nor could they know of a change back. Like I stated before, other
> | coworkers can logon to my workstation and use Search Companion but I can not,
> | nor can I use it on any other PC on the network. This must be a user specific
> | problem that needs to be reset somewhere (ie Registry).
> |
> | "Carrie Garth" wrote:
> |
> | > :|:|: "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> | > :|:|: Message news:112001c48bde$621f5e40$a301280a@phx.gbl
> | > :|:|: <SNIP> when I click on search, all that comes up is a
> | > :|:|: 'search results' window with a search 'bar' on the left
> | > :|:|: hand side and a display frame on the right. I can't see any
> | > :|:|: place to 'change preferences'. Can anyone help me?

> | > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpmanaged/23_xpsch.mspx
> | >
> | > :|: "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com>
> | > :|: news:47BE7DE9-DAD9-408A-AF7C-1B1729294D98@microsoft.com
> | > :|: I don't have that registry key. <SNIP>
> | >
> | > :| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
> | > :| Message news:ecdX0kSjEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
> | > :| <SNIP> a default install of Microsoft Windows XP does not
> | > :| create it, so "no worries about" <SNIP>

> | > Hmmm, if "it follows me around on any workstation I log on to on
> | > the network" then I suppose your computer is a member of a
> | > domain. A domain where a Domain Administrator can customize your
> | > computing environment, redirect your Profile, etc.. If that
> | > statement is correct then I suggest that you discuss this issue
> | > with that Administrator.

Try these...

(Line 148. Set All Search Options to Active )
(Line 151. Rename "Search" on the Start Menu
- Undo Set "Search" Advanced Options as Default)

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
(Search - Doesn't Work)

"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
| When I say 'User Specific', I mean it is specific to me (the user) hence
| 'User Specific' to me. The SA is the only tech person on our system (ie. an
| network of 100 PCs). He is in charge of everything at our location. Since the
| problem was a change by me and is specific to my profile, I am saying that I
| must make the required change to the registry from my profile in order for it
| to take effect. Except I don't know what changes to make as the correct way
| from changing FROM Classic Search to Search Companion because the Change
| Preferences option is not available to me.
|
| "anonymouse" wrote:
|
| > > ...nor can I use it on any other PC on the network...
| >
| > Therefore this *cannot* be a "user specific problem" on *your* PC.
| >
| > Tell your SA that other coworkers can logon to *your* workstation
| > and use Search Companion but *you* can not, nor can *you* use it
| > on any other PC on the network. If he refuses to repair your
| > problem, then escalate to a higher level of support.
| >

| > "Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
| > | I had previously checked with the SA and he ahd said that nothing was done on
| > | their part nor could they know of a change back. Like I stated before, other
| > | coworkers can logon to my workstation and use Search Companion but I can not,
| > | nor can I use it on any other PC on the network. This must be a user specific
| > | problem that needs to be reset somewhere (ie Registry).
| > |
| > | "Carrie Garth" wrote:
| > |
> [...]

TRENDING THREADS