What upgrades should i make to make to a dell optiplex gx280 to make it the best

_zxzxzx_

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
This is a very old machine, like my old GX240. It isn't worth upgrading. For the amount of money which you would spend on it to make it a 'gaming' computer, you could buy a modern gaming system.

tooplanx

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
I know this is a year old, but I think it's worth pointing out that this computer is actually pretty cheap to upgrade to a relatively ok computer. Seeing as they can be acquired often for free I imagine many people might want to make the best of a free computer. Sure, it'll never be a proper gaming computer, but it can be capable of running games from around 6+ years ago.

I bought a p4 3.4ghz cpu for £3 off ebay, then 4gb RAM for £15, a wifi card for £6, and I've just bought a ATI. Radeon hd4550 graphics card for £17 (including postage). I haven't received my gpu yet so can't vouch for what runs well, but Bastion is running (slowly) already without a gpu and I've seen people running COD and similar with a gpu.

Yes, these aren't cutting edge games, but for £41 you get aj alright allround computer capable of most things and some ok games.