Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Unable to decide - Go with CrossFire or get a better Mobo / GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2011 3:30:38 AM

This weekend I am going to get a new Gaming Rig for about 50K and maybe in a month or two get Razer 6950 HD Twin Frozr III OC.

I have a doubt, earlier I planned that I would get 2nd GPU in another 6-7 Months and go with CrossFire. But for that I would need a 750W PSU minimum for around 7-7.5K and due to budget contraints I would be getting MSI Z68 GD65 B3 Mobo.

Should I invest in PCI Ex 3.0 supported Mobo (to make it future proof) and drop the plan of CrossFire and hence get a 600W PSU (which will accomodate the price of better Mobo) and rather get a better GPU and wait till Games pass this GPU. Then, as my Mobo would be supporting PCI 3.0, get a new GPU maybe say 2-3 yrs later?

Sorry if I am too confusing!

One Line Question - Should I invest now in Average Mobo + Expensive PSU + 2 X Mid Range GPU (1 now & 1 later) or should I get this -
Good & Latest Mobo + Lesser Powered PSU + High range GPU (now) and later when Games get better and more resource hungry, I just need to change the GPU so no Dual GPU.

Also if I get PCI 3.0 supported Mobo, will it reverse support PCI 2.0 now without issues? :??: 
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2011 5:11:28 AM

You don't need a 750W psu to run 2x6950:

2x6950 + OC'd i7-965 with gpus fully stressed = 473W from the wall, or <425W from the PSU. If I were buying new, I'd use nothing less than 650W, but if I had a high-quality 550W, and wasn't OCing, I'd go with it.

So what psu do you have now, and what video card?
October 20, 2011 5:21:09 AM

As I said, I am getting the Rig from Scratch and was still deciding on PSU when this doubt popped.
So, are you suggesting I should go with non PCI 3.0 Mobo with CrossFirex to be futureproof or should I go with PCI 3.0 Mobo Single GPU (may be AMD 7000 Series)?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2011 5:26:12 AM

Sorry I didn't get that from your OP.

There really isn't any such thing as "future proof", and with the rest of your rig you won't challenge PCIe 2.0 specs. So what will 3.0 buy you?

If you can afford 2x6950 by using a less powerful PSU, I'd go that way regardless of PCIe 2.0/3.0
October 20, 2011 5:35:53 AM

Please suggest a nice 650W PSU within $120. I guess you are not from India and hence the USD estimate.
How about Seasonic X660W?
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2011 5:50:00 AM

Seasonic is one of the very few brands folks here will agree is *always* a quality psu that will deliver at least its power rating. So I could almost say "yes" without looking.

If this is the psu:

and you can afford the rest of your rig, then certainly yes.

Otherwise, these would work well too:

An 850W priced at ~$120:

This may be a bit noisy:

Definitely a fine PSU:
October 20, 2011 6:23:03 AM

Seasonic SS-850HT 850W looks nice and fits my pocket perfectly... Thanks for advise.

Guys, please review the above PSU.
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2011 6:53:55 AM

lol - I'll start. You can do better price-wise if you have almost any Corsair, Seasonic, or Antec psu available to you at 750W.

OCZ 750W (recommendation applies to this specific unit):

Corsair 750W:

PCP&C 750W:

All of those are high-quality, lower in price, and plenty powerful for your needs. If any are available to you at similar prices, you would save money and lose nothing.