Dell c521 wont accept 4 gig ram

My dell c521 wont accept 4 x 1 gig modules, i know they are working as took out of another dell desktop ( different model )
it just shows up as 2gig,

Have tried cleaning contacts etc
10 answers Last reply
More about dell c521 wont accept
  1. Try this, go to start->run->msconfig
    Go to the BOOT.INI TAB.->advanced. And change the max memory to 4096.

apply and reboot.
  2. Thanks for prompt reply.

Tries as you suggest, in win 7 , only max u can go up using arrows is 2 gig , if you type 4096 it goes back to 2048 when u save.sure i read somewhere that euro model of this machine will only accept 2 gig if this is so would that be a bios issue or perhaps hardware?
  3. How much memory do you see inside the bios?

Is it windows 7 64bits? or 32 bits?

Here is a link to latest bios download:
    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/dimension-c521?driverId=R164017&fileId=2731117832&osCode=WV64#OldVersion
  4. What does the bios report? What OS and version are you running?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx
  5. lol
  6. Anonymous said:
    How much memory do you see inside the bios?

Is it windows 7 64bits? or 32 bits?

Here is a link to latest bios download:
    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/dimension-c521?driverId=R164017&fileId=2731117832&osCode=WV64#OldVersion

bIOS SAYS 2 GIG AND ITS WIN 7 64BIT
  7. well either the bios won't take 4gb or 2 sticks are bad. I'll try with a bios update first. but could be dangerous if you are not experienced.
  8. No sticks are not bad, they came working from my other dell, think it must be bios wont take them, as i said earlier after your advice went to try adjust the max mem in win 7 and just would not go to 4096 and if u type it in when u click save just goes back 2048, run out of ideas lol- time for a new machine, 2 gig is ok for the time just annoying cant use this ram
  9. MaxWonga, I had this exact problem with my dell c521.
    it would not load windows with the 4 1gb sticks.
    Load it up with 2 of them in slot 3 and 4.
    then go to - "Try this, go to start->run->msconfig
    Go to the BOOT.INI TAB.->advanced"............ and untick the "max memory" box and the field will be blank.(previously showed 2048)
    turn the pc off, stick the other 2 x 1 gb sticks in and fie it back up.
    sorted, boots up on the 4gb
  10. wmbxp05 said:
    MaxWonga, I had this exact problem with my dell c521.
    it would not load windows with the 4 1gb sticks.
    Load it up with 2 of them in slot 3 and 4.
    then go to - "Try this, go to start->run->msconfig
    Go to the BOOT.INI TAB.->advanced"............ and untick the "max memory" box and the field will be blank.(previously showed 2048)
    turn the pc off, stick the other 2 x 1 gb sticks in and fie it back up.
    sorted, boots up on the 4gb

This actually worked for me. I've been fooling with this for almost 2 weeks without success. I would never have thought of this method. Many thanks.:bounce:
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Desktops Dell