MISSION IMPOSSIBLE!

G

So here's the deal, I want my speakers AND my headphones plugged into the back of my computer.

Seems impossible.

There's only 1 green audio jack on the back of the computer, where my speakers are plugged into. On my old computer, I had a sound card that worked WITH my onboard, allowing me to have my headphones plugged in AS WELL as my speakers while being able to switch between which was used.

According to my father, this should have not worked at all. I had the perfect setup, and didn't realize it until it was too late.

Granted, I can plug my headphones into the front of my computer, but I don't want to see that crap, it takes up space and I never unplug it from my computer.

Question, am I the ONE SOUL in the world who doesn't want my stuff plugged into the front?

So there's options for 3.5 inch bays that have audio ports and etc, well that's great, except I don't want to see that crap in the front!

So my question is, is there a card that's NOT A SOUND CARD, that plugs in the back and has audio ports and essentially serves as a front panel but is located in the back?

WORST CASE SCENARIO: I have to roll up a front panel audio port and hide it in my computer and feed the cables through. So ghetto.....

Am I the only person? I cannot believe this......

G

Care to elaborate?

Keep in mind I want Windows to recognize both devices as individual devices.

Otherwise, I could get a hub and plug all the crap in.

G

Well, you can use two audio devices as an output like you previously did and swap between them as needed via the windows control panel. Aside from that, there isn't much you can do.

You could got the USB route, as there are plenty of USB->TRS converters out there, but you take a hit in quality as a result of going through the USB's digital to analog converter [which typically stinks].

G

Except sound cards and onboard aren't supposed to work with each other.

See how ridiculous this is? I cannot believe I'm the only person who doesn't want their headphones hooked up to the front of their computer.

G

I guess, that seems like overkill for something so simple though. I guess it's a possibility though.

mercer95

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
well if you have the space for them you can get a cheap sound card for about £10, also a lot of graphics cards have on-board sound for hdmi cables so if you have one you could have the sound coming from your TV and your headphones coming from you sound card.

G

My monitors don't support HDMI so that wouldn't work. I just have to wait for my part to come in today and hope it works.

G

My GPU has HDMI and so does my onboard.

G

Honestly, I'm not sure how any of those help with audio.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

I have seen two types of front panel audio connectors on the cases I have opened. One type contains wires that connect directly to the motherboard, giving you tow selectable output options (like you had before), and another that simply contains two cable for you to run through the case and plg into your rear audio jacks (effectively moving your rear audio jacks to the front of your case, which is obviously rather pointless).

Why do I mention this? Every motherboard I have owned has had a location to plug in the first type of front panel audio connectors. Most motherboards I have owned also come with extra USB ports that plug into the MB in similar fashion and then occupy one of your add-on card slots. I imagine someone has to have made something similar that instead contains audio jack and has the connectors to take the place of your front panel audio on the motherboard, kind of like the smaller card in this product. Obviously that card it made to couple together with the main card in that set, but that should give you an idea of what I would expect to be out that that might accomplish your goals.

Unfortunately I don't know where you would be able to find one, and can't even guarantee they exist, but It would make sense for them to be out there somewhere.

popatim

Titan
have you checked the new pc/motherboards documentation to see what the audio ports are set to for the various modes? Some used to be able to do exactly what you want using the line-in as a headphone out port.

I dont think anyone would market one since making one would be so simple and theres virtually no market for one to begin with. All you need to do is drill 2 holes in a slot cover and then change the FP audio/mic jacks over to the slot cover.