Doing a clean 64-bit installion

zcoot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hi,

I have been reading the Windows 8 FAQ and read the section about going from 32-bit to 64-bit. I have got a little confused are they saying that you can't go from 32-bit to 64-bit even if I do a clean install?

The clean install option via the Upgrade Assistant will keep the same architecture as your existing install, and thus cannot be used to "upgrade" your system from a 32 bit copy of Windows to a 64 bit copy. You have to actually wipe the drive out and set up a fresh copy after backing up any data you want to keep. The Clean Install method using the upgrade assistant will indeed perform an upgrade install (thus the reason you cannot change from 32 to 64 bit... any time you hear or see the word *upgrade*, this is not possible), but will not bother preserving any of your existing files, applications, or settings.

I've amended the FAQ page to (hopefully) make this clearer for everyone.

zcoot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Well what I really want to do is just get Vista 32-bit off my machine by formatting the drive and then somehow get windows 8 64-bit on using the $40 deal they have on their website.

So is that possible?