Your question

Seeking help with upgrading the XPS 9000/435t

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
October 20, 2011 7:45:12 AM

Hey guys, long time user of this site, but first time poster. I can't tell you guys how much you've helped me with my computer related problems XD

Ok, so I don't have a lot of time, so I'm sorry if there is a search feature that I missed, but as you all know BF3 is coming out in less than 6 days. My question is regarding the the Dell XPS 9000/435T manufactured computer. Right now I've been running a 475w PSU with a Radeon HD 5870. I heard Dell PSUs are a little underrated, so I never bothered with upgrading my PSU and honestly, I never have had any problems with it. However, I think it's time to upgrade.

I'm happy I purchased the 435t, because the case is a beast, and after much research, I have came to the conclusion that it will fit the EVGA GeForce GTX 580. I feel kind of dumb, because I usually can find my answers within minutes of searching Google, but I cannot for the life of me find the dimensions for the stock PSU in this case (I already skimmed through the Dell online manual, with no luck). I'm only planning on running one GPU, as I don't have the money to afford SLI, but as of now these are the options I'm considering.

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now, I'm also not really aware of the PSU Wattage/Ampage that the GTX 580 requires, as I've came across so many different answers ranging from 750w-1100w. Also, if anyone is familiar with the Dell XPS 435t case, I would really like to figure out if this (or another PSU that is recommended) would fit. Any help is obviously much appreciated, and I will be checking up on this thread constantly for the next few days, seeing how I would like to upgrade as soon as possible. I will also help with figuring anything out with my case/hardware as well.

System Specs

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 Cpus), ~2.7GHz
Ram: 12228MB

More about : seeking upgrading xps 9000 435t

a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2011 8:08:55 AM

Audiox said:
Hey guys, long time user of this site, but first time poster. I can't tell you guys how much you've helped me with my computer related problems XD

Ok, so I don't have a lot of time, so I'm sorry if there is a search feature that I missed, but as you all know BF3 is coming out in less than 6 days. My question is regarding the the Dell XPS 9000/435T manufactured computer. Right now I've been running a 475w PSU with a Radeon HD 5870. I heard Dell PSUs are a little underrated, so I never bothered with upgrading my PSU and honestly, I never have had any problems with it. However, I think it's time to upgrade.

I'm happy I purchased the 435t, because the case is a beast, and after much research, I have came to the conclusion that it will fit the EVGA GeForce GTX 580. I feel kind of dumb, because I usually can find my answers within minutes of searching Google, but I cannot for the life of me find the dimensions for the stock PSU in this case (I already skimmed through the Dell online manual, with no luck). I'm only planning on running one GPU, as I don't have the money to afford SLI, but as of now these are the options I'm considering.

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now, I'm also not really aware of the PSU Wattage/Ampage that the GTX 580 requires, as I've came across so many different answers ranging from 750w-1100w. Also, if anyone is familiar with the Dell XPS 435t case, I would really like to figure out if this (or another PSU that is recommended) would fit. Any help is obviously much appreciated, and I will be checking up on this thread constantly for the next few days, seeing how I would like to upgrade as soon as possible. I will also help with figuring anything out with my case/hardware as well.

System Specs

Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 Cpus), ~2.7GHz
Ram: 12228MB

ok heres the deal if you do the research on the card its self either from the vendor or tonnes of other sites .. you can find out what the card draws .. that particular card is a beast when you over clock it but also draws considerable amount of power.. personally id go with a 1000watt .. make sure it has an active pfc and it helps to be modular .. as for the dell case the problem with a lot of those manufactured cases like that is that they tend to use non standard psu sizes your particular model might be an eception but i have ran into more than a few hp /compaq and dells that had non standard sized psu's because they are designed to spesification of that particular case. id look into checking to see if that card would even fit your case because its rather large.. id just get a measureing tape or something .. seriously .. it would suck to order it and have to return it .. 5870 is smaller im pretty sure...you might be able to get by with an 800 watt power supply but you also wanna check the voltage and wattage supply to the graphics card power connectors because some of the psu's might say they are rated at 800 but really are rated lower.. because of the rails and how the wattage is split up .. dual rail set ups are better. any way good luck.. with your exspiriment .. by the way ati cards are usually better on power requirements...
m
l
October 20, 2011 8:38:59 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. As for the case here is a picture..

As I said in my original post, the case is massive, but I will do what you said and measure it myself. Thanks for touching base with the PSU, because that's what I'm having trouble with deciding. Seeing how it's a Dell case, it would be tough to tell if it would fit without having the dimensions. I'm currently looking for them as we speak. I'm not planning on overclocking anything, I just want the GTX 580, with a PSU that could handle in the standard market specifications. I appreciate your reply.
m
l