vilve

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hello,

i have a problem with my graphics card. see, its mounted on the secondary PCI-e x16 slot on my motherboard wich is too close to the bottom. The problem being, my graphics card is overheating. the fan of the card is almost touching the bottom of my case :p can i do anything about this? Would it be possible to cut a hole there and insert a case fan? P.S sorry for any typos :)

-Thanks!

it could be just easier to us if you tell us your FULL specs here, including your PC case, a link or pictures could help us a lot... :)

Also, why 2nd slot? what happened to your 1st slot?
Motherboard?

vilve

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
I only have one slot, thats the problem :p i would have figured it out by now if i had another one :D And no there is no actual spot to put the fan BUT if i made a hole to the bottom and placed a fan there it would work. but i dont think ill be doing that :p

thanks for the reply

vilve

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Acer eMachines ET1352

CPU: Athlon II x2 220

GPU: Sapphire radeon HD 6670

2Gb RAM

Motherboard: ET1352

1x PCI-e x16

2x PCI x1

1x PCI

so yes its basically a motherboard problem :p

ill put up a photo a bit later.

Thanks for replying.

vilve

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
really? when i play games the temperature on the card rises to something like 111 Celsius after like10 minutes of playing :p to me that's quite high. also another problem with the card is when i update my drivers the computer freezes, and then i have to boot it in safe mode and restore the system :p i got the black screen of death when i restored ( this was all my fault, not the card) but i got it working eventually. now i just cant update my drivers :D I have spent my nerves, my temper, and my money to get this working but all the time new issues are popping up :sweat:

vilve

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

really? when i play games the temperature on the card rises to something like 111 Celsius after like10 minutes of playing :p to me that's quite high. also another problem with the card is when i update my drivers the computer freezes, and then i have to boot it in safe mode and restore the system :p i got the black screen of death when i restored ( this was all my fault, not the card) but i got it working eventually. now i just cant update my drivers :D I have spent my nerves, my temper, and my money to get this working but all the time new issues are popping up :sweat:

For your 6670, I am quite sure the space is quite sufficient for cooling.

But 111 degree is definitely a problem.

Something other than the space is causing the overheat.

And I am surprise that at 111 degree, the card is not shutting down!

Add a case fan will help. The exhaust is trapped in the case without a case fan.

vilve

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

i truly do hope so :p Thank you so much for replying. I was almost going to give up on this and thor the goddamn thing in the trash :D just because i was pissed :p I know that you know better but the space between the case and the fan is probably smaller than an inch :p but i believe you. I will get myself a fan with LED's :D One of the pictures you can see the back of my case, can you recommend me any kind of fan that would fit? Like for example something that you are using?

-Thank's again to every one who replied :)

rahlp

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
hey sorry to bump a old thread but I have a similar situation... I have the same HD 6670 card and it is right at the bottom of the case, my case is very small...

So I was thinking of adding two fans to my case, 1 at the back as exhaust and 1 at the side as intake, but the problem is the slot where I will be installing the intake fan is right above the cpu fan and the air will I think hardly reach at the bottom of the case where the graphics card is installed... so will it be helpful to install a side case fan for intake or is it useless?

I want to keep the case as cool as possible because it will be running almost 24x7.

System Specs:
Gigabyte G41 MT S2
Dual Core E5700 3.0 Ghz
4 GB DDR3 Ram
Radeon HD 6670 DDR5 1 GB
PSU Beetle BT450 (450 watts, which came with the case itself)

Also will the psu be enough for adding 2 fans along with the above config?

Air at the top is better than no air at all. These fans I suggested you in your other thread wont just help cool your GPU, they will help cool your entire system. If you wanted you could even put both fans as exhaust. I recommend trying it both ways to see what helps more. As it is now, you have a case with no airflow at all. The hot air inside the case is just getting hotter and that is the air used to cool your system. Whether that air is pushed out with exhaust, or you have intake and exhaust, it is important to get that hot air out. Doing so will create a negative pressure in the case that introduces new COOL air into the system via any other vents. For example you have a little vent right next to your GPU slot. When you introduce a flow of air to your enclosed case it will bring cool air from the outside in through such holes. This is how fans will be effective.

PS - you could have just asked this question on your own thread.

rahlp

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
ok thanks dude, already ordered two fans will put one as each and will see the difference it makes :)

Actually I was searching google for similar case and found this thread so posted it here.