Sign in with
Your question

Nominations for Classic CPUs (and mobos)

Last response: in CPUs
March 22, 2012 10:00:21 AM

So, Tom's has done a nice job of listing classic GPUs recently, and these are obviously the glamour boys of gaming machines. But I was wondering what the classic CPUs (and their associated mobos) might be over the years.

I have an old machine I still use occasionally consisting of an Athlon XP 2800 Barton and Abit nForce2 mobo from 2003. I would consider these to be absolute classics of their time.

Nothing I've run since (AMD only) has been as outstanding as that machine was for its time. I was idly wondering what people would view as outstanding CPUs of their year?

An early dual core Athlon 64 FX?

A Core2Duo of some vintage?

I guess for modern gear, the i5-2500k will go down as a classic.
March 22, 2012 10:29:38 AM

For me the best bang for the buck was the classic 1999 Celeron 333, which if you upped the FSB to 100MHz from 66Mhz gave you a 500Mhz chip.

When two of these chips were combined with the fantastic Abit BP6 dual socket motherboard you had a monster of a PC that would smash any of the top end Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlons in my Autocad work of the time.
a b à CPUs
March 22, 2012 11:33:08 AM

AMD K6 series.

Have fond memories as a kid scrimping and saving and saving more, even picking pennies up from the floor and never being able to afford a Pentium and then a Pentium 2 (saving takes a long time as a kid lol). Built my first self build with a second hand K6 can't remember the board but to me that will always be the CPU I remember. The machine was awful a full on Frankenputer made from 2nd hand parts and salvaged parts, bodged together in to a case that it wouldnt even fit properly due to an enormous dent where the case had been squashed in a skip.

But it was mine!
Related resources
March 22, 2012 11:53:35 AM

My first self-build was a K6-2 350, but I'm not sure those guys really stood up to the PIIs. But I can understand the fond memories!

Of course, many old Celerons O/C'd like crazy didn't they, they'd be serious value contenders.
a c 80 à CPUs
March 22, 2012 12:19:14 PM

There's been a lot of machines in my history back to the Pentium and AMD first arriving on the scene but the first memorable stand out for me was the 3200mhz AMD Barton, was water cooling at the time and got some impressive overclocks from it.

Second and most powerful standout was the AMD FX57 at the time only bested by the dual core AMD FX60, both with unlocked multipliers, those were the days when AMD ruled over Intel, times have really changed today.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 4:16:10 PM

My most memorable chip is probably the AMD K6-2 400. It was from my first machine and compared to the next chip I had (P3 450mhz) it was pretty crap but it's still so memorable because of all the things I did with it.
a b à CPUs
July 6, 2012 4:20:39 PM

any Abit x series board with any old conroe based cpu

and the legendary asus striker extreme with the wolfdale cores
a c 101 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 4:27:49 PM

I would nominate the Pentium-MMX.

Reason: Intel originally though MMX would make GPUs obsolete but history has proven that Intel was off by a very long shot.

Although P54C/P55C failed to realize Intel's soft-GPU ambitions, they were still great chips for their time.

Another historic favorite would be dual-slot/socket Pentium-3 on 440BX chipset.
!