What protocol does a 3G phone use to anchor to an access r..

Last response: in Technologies
April 26, 2004 5:29:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cdma,alt.cellular.gsm,alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular.umts (More info?)

Dear all,

I am just wondering what protocol the 3G phones use to anchor to an access
router (or SGSN) at power on?

Thanks very much in advance.

Patrick
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 8:15:33 PM

"Patrick Lam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I am just wondering what protocol the 3G phones use to anchor to an access
> router (or SGSN) at power on?

They attach using the GPRS Mobility Management protocol. Following an attach
they aquire an IP address using the Session Management protocol (PDP context
creation).

/Henrik
!