Radeon 6850 with Pentium Dual Core

Status
Not open for further replies.

scienceisfun91

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Alot of people have the Radeon 6850 with a Pentium Dual Core. But when I put in my Radeon 6850 with my Pentium Dual Core, all games LAG like crazy. How come some people do it, but I can't?

scienceisfun91

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

I have a E5300. 2 Gb ram. My friend has a Pentium Dual Core with 2gbs of ram. But his runs smooth

no i don't know how to oc a pentium dual-core. and i doubt your dell pc will let you do it. almost all pc builders like dell disable any settings that would let a user fiddle with their hardware. afaik they do it for warranty reasons among other things. some boutique pc builders oc their components(cpu, gpu) from their factory.
i've seen bios settings of some hp pcs that only lets you set boot order, boot drive, igp, integrated audio etc dis/enable but not change ram timings.
so even if you're willing to oc, you might not find the appropriate settings.
and oc'ing components is always dangerous and unpredictable.

scienceisfun91

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

But in other forums, people have been overclocking their Pentium Dual Cores all the time.

scienceisfun91

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Yeah I did. I found directions on how to overclock, but I'm afraid to go into my BIOS. I don't want to mess my computer up.

and you should Not want to mess your pc up.
dish_moose

You CANNOT overclock your Dell!!!!!- period. If you had an Asus, Gigabyte... motherboard then you most certainly you could OC. You may want to format your HDD a reinstall just what you want. Clean installs always work better.
-Bruce
+1
a clean os install (back up all of your important data before you try that) might clear up some junks that piles up over time and clear away the lag.
another way might be to use an ssd but a ram upgrade should be much cheaper.

Dell will not allow you to overclock, but it's a little-known fact that you can replace the CPU on Dells with a better one, provided your BIOS is up to date and it matches your socket/mobo requirements. Do some research on upgrading the CPU (much easier than it sounds), and get 2 more GB of RAM - it's ridiculously cheap right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.