Sign in with
Your question

Can I use a gtx 560 and 590 togather?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 20, 2011 1:52:15 PM

Hello, never built a PC before, the one Im looking at comes with a 560. In a year or when price drops I would buy 590. Can I add the 590 and have both run togather, or will I need to replace 560. Gaming PC obviously!

More about : gtx 560 590 togather

a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2011 1:55:16 PM

you can use the 56 for physx but it would be a waste
m
l
October 20, 2011 1:57:47 PM

what do u mean a waste? So to run 2 PCI cards they need to be the same model? If so, would getting a second 560 be equal to or better than a 590? Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 20, 2011 2:02:58 PM

because the 590 is powerful enough to do its own physx. youll be wasting space power and adding unwanted heat
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:08:42 PM

The PC comes with a 560 already, so if I wanted to inprove by getting a 590, I should just replace it entirely and not make use of the 560? Thanks for the seemingly instant responses by the way, just found this site.
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:16:36 PM

Good Morning,

I'd say that if you can afford the 590 then that would be a way more performance increasing then having both cards in there. For the most part an extra card causes additional data transfer which can not always be a good thing. Keeping all the GPU and physics calculations central to a single board will likely yield better results.

Support SLI setups are good (same card with same card), but I think alot of folks would agree that a single higher performance GPU would be the most ideal if you got the cash.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 20, 2011 2:27:41 PM

590 is pretty overkill. SLI 560 Ti is a killer setup. If the one you're buying has the non-Ti version, then it's a little less awesome but still very good.

If you're really adamant on a 590, make sure you have the right equipment for it. Namely, you'll need a high power PSU and a fast CPU.
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:38:43 PM

yeah I was gonna wait until the 590 price came down a bit and then replace the 560. Is 850W enough to power a i7 2600k with a GTX 590, or would I need to replace that as well, making this pre built PC not even woth it?
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 20, 2011 2:45:05 PM

Depends on the model but it should be enough.
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:49:43 PM

Do you, or anyone know of a suggested component list for a 1500$ gaming build? And is there a way I can link a newegg wish list build I made so you guys that know what the hell your doing (as I dont) can suggest improvements, or tell me if its compatible? Thanks!!
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 20, 2011 2:49:48 PM

For Clarification, you can't SLI GTX 560TI with GTX 590... and as suggested you're good with 2 GTX 560Ti in SLI
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:36:58 PM

ilysaml said:
For Clarification, you can't SLI GTX 560TI with GTX 590... and as suggested you're good with 2 GTX 560Ti in SLI

OK I have a single GTX 570. Which would improve my gaming experience more, getting a second 570, or replacing the 570 with a 590? Thanks to anyone who can shed light on which is better and why.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 27, 2011 2:38:44 PM

Get a second GTX 570 this will give you a performance boost close to or better than a GTX 590, but just make sure that your PSU will handle the 2 GTX 570s in SLI.
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:43:40 PM

ilysaml said:
Get a second GTX 570 this will give you a performance boost close to or better than a GTX 590, but just make sure that your PSU will handle the 2 GTX 570s in SLI.

And its like 500 dollars cheeper to buy today, in a few months it should be a bit cheeper. Thanks so much, ive been wondering this for a while and knew a second 570 was way cheaper than 590, and hoped it would be the answer I got. So should I grab the exact brand and model# as the one installed already?
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 27, 2011 2:46:25 PM

It shouldn't matter if they are different brands, but for certainty I would personally try to get the same model - also, looks better if they're the same IMO :D 

And yeah, two 570s are going to be faster, or at least have a higher OC threshold (590s like to blow when OCed due to way too much power draw)
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 27, 2011 2:46:36 PM

Yes it's mostly recommended to get identical card to run without any issues. Also the most important thing makse sure your PSU will handle them. you need at least a 800W PSU
m
l
October 27, 2011 2:46:55 PM

Short answer: no. If you put the 560 and the 590 in SLI, it will default to the lowest card - meaning you will effectively have 2 560s in SLI. Generally speaking the 590 is serious overkill and not worth the extra money. If you're in the market for a new card, go with a single 3Gb 580. Just sell the 560, install a 580 3Gb and if you ever need to use SLI just get another 3Gb 580.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 27, 2011 2:57:03 PM

Okcookienc said:
Just sell the 560, install a 580 3Gb and if you ever need to use SLI just get another 3Gb 580.

Pretty sure that would end up costing more than a second 560 for SLI, and give worse performance until another $600 is dropped on a second 580...
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 27, 2011 3:04:58 PM

The OP stated he had a GTX 570
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 27, 2011 3:48:24 PM

ilysaml said:

lol, true...
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 27, 2011 5:58:25 PM

Okcookienc said:
Short answer: no. If you put the 560 and the 590 in SLI, it will default to the lowest card - meaning you will effectively have 2 560s in SLI. Generally speaking the 590 is serious overkill and not worth the extra money. If you're in the market for a new card, go with a single 3Gb 580. Just sell the 560, install a 580 3Gb and if you ever need to use SLI just get another 3Gb 580.

What!?! :heink:  Those two cards will not SLi full stop so stop talking rubbish.
m
l
October 27, 2011 9:23:50 PM

Mousemonkey said:
What!?! :heink:  Those two cards will not SLi full stop so stop talking rubbish.

Doh. You're right.
m
l
October 27, 2011 9:25:55 PM

ilysaml said:

The OP originally stated he had a 560.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 27, 2011 9:28:29 PM

joshleeman said:
Hello, never built a PC before, the one Im looking at comes with a 560. In a year or when price drops I would buy 590. Can I add the 590 and have both run togather, or will I need to replace 560. Gaming PC obviously!

Okcookienc said:
The OP originally stated he had a 560.

Actually the OP stated that they were thinking of getting a PC that came with a 560.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 27, 2011 9:28:32 PM

Quote:
OK I have a single GTX 570. Which would improve my gaming experience more
m
l
October 28, 2011 1:01:18 PM

ilysaml said:

Yeah I started this question a week or so back when I was building/looking for what to get and the deal i was looking at had a 560. I have since got a better deal which included in it a 570. So thats why the 560 turned into a 570. Sorry to confuse some of you and thanks so much for answering the ultimate question and saving me about 500 bucks when i grab the second card.
m
l
October 28, 2011 1:13:06 PM

Okcookienc said:

When u say if i ever "need to use" SLI what do u mean by that? Do certain games require it or u mean need as in cant take sub-par gfx in games? Remember...first gaming computer ever only ever played 1 computer game in my life on a PC so if thats a stupid question plz forgive me. Im a long time xbox360 player and evryone Iv ever talked to says keyboard and mouse kicks 360 controllers azz so thats why I got myself a Gaming PC. Any suggestions or tips for a newbie are gladly welcomed from all u guys. Thanks again!!!
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 28, 2011 2:32:53 PM

joshleeman said:
When u say if i ever "need to use" SLI what do u mean by that? Do certain games require it or u mean need as in cant take sub-par gfx in games? Remember...first gaming computer ever only ever played 1 computer game in my life on a PC so if thats a stupid question plz forgive me. Im a long time xbox360 player and evryone Iv ever talked to says keyboard and mouse kicks 360 controllers azz so thats why I got myself a Gaming PC. Any suggestions or tips for a newbie are gladly welcomed from all u guys. Thanks again!!!

I'm sure he just means if you're no longer satisified with the performance and need an upgrade, SLI is usually going to be the most cost effective.

M+K is definitely better, so much more precision - but it takes getting used to. If you find it difficult at first just keep at it. And make sure you tune your mouse in game, I usually find I have to drastically reduce the sensitivity. And you know what? If you just prefer the Xbox controller, or maybe you're playing a game that it would work better with, you can just plug it in and use it :D . I use my PS3 controller every so often, such as for certain racing games (if I'm too lazy to pull out the racing wheel) and RPGs like Fable 3 and even The Witcher 2.
m
l
October 29, 2011 4:17:05 AM

wolfram23 said:
I'm sure he just means if you're no longer satisified with the performance and need an upgrade, SLI is usually going to be the most cost effective.

Exactly what I meant. You'll love the 570, btw. I'm running 2x 570s in SLI and it's great. You can always add a second one and it'll max out just about any game out there right now at 1080.
m
l
October 29, 2011 2:05:00 PM

wolfram23 said:

M+K is definitely better, so much more precision - but it takes getting used to. If you find it difficult at first just keep at it. And make sure you tune your mouse in game, I usually find I have to drastically reduce the sensitivity. And you know what? If you just prefer the Xbox controller, or maybe you're playing a game that it would work better with, you can just plug it in and use it :D . I use my PS3 controller every so often, such as for certain racing games (if I'm too lazy to pull out the racing wheel) and RPGs like Fable 3 and even The Witcher 2.

Yeah whats odd with me is I write left handed so for mouse gaming it would probably be proper for me to use my left hand with the mouse. But thats absolutely NOT possible because Ive always used a mouse with my right hand because thats where it was and usually is when using a computer for the first time so putting mouse in left just feel way too odd. What security software would you guys recommend for a "gaming only" PC? I have a norton 360 subscription but Im not sure if you all use something less thorough and demanding because I will be doing no risky/shady surfing or downloading ect. What do you use? Or is a current high end gaming machine not affected whatsoever no matter how demanding the security program is. I was thinking microsoft security essentials because I heard its very light on system use. Anyway any suggestions are very much welcome, just let me know what works well for you guys...Thanks so much!!!!!!!
m
l
October 29, 2011 2:17:55 PM

I'm just running AVG Anti-Virus Free.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2011 2:20:41 PM

6950 2gb CFx is a killer setup.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 29, 2011 6:18:42 PM

I'm using F-Secure, I like it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2011 6:35:56 PM

Malwarebytes Pro all the way.
Avg free you might as well run with no protection
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 29, 2011 6:43:22 PM

gnomio said:

might as well run with no protection using malware bytes also, its a piece of crap. Had to install microsoft security essentials ans Spybot S&D on a customers PC to get rid of all the viruses malwarebytes left behind. I honestly think no single antivirus can give you 100% protection. Use an active antivirus and scan with spybot every now and then is your best bet.
m
l
October 29, 2011 7:00:29 PM

gnomio said:

Everyone has different opinions on antivirus software, and the data show that efficacy fluctuates year to year. As long as your anti-virus suite doesn't bog down your system and you run SpyBot DD regularly, I think you're ok. Saying "you might as well run with no protection" is frankly terrible advice.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2011 7:05:17 PM

Okcookienc said:
Everyone has different opinions on antivirus software, and the data show that efficacy fluctuates year to year. As long as your anti-virus suite doesn't bog down your system and you run SpyBot DD regularly, I think you're ok. Saying "you might as well run with no protection" is frankly terrible advice.

no avg free doesn't fluctuate. 70 to 75 percent detection on known malware. At every test almost. That's not protection that's a security hole. The other anti malware avg above 90 percent! Free ones and paid ones. Its the only anti malware product that scores so low consistently.
m
l
October 29, 2011 9:08:11 PM

gnomio said:
no avg free doesn't fluctuate. 70 to 75 percent detection on known malware. At every test almost. That's not protection that's a security hole. The other anti malware avg above 90 percent! Free ones and paid ones. Its the only anti malware product that scores so low consistently.

Ok, now we're really off topic. The OP originally asked whether he could configure a 560 and a 590 in SLI, then asked about a 570 and a 590, then about AV protection... I'm all for answering his questions and helping him out, but when we're debating about AV efficacy in a thread about GPUs, it's time to call it quits.

PS: All anti-virus software's efficacy fluctuates year to year.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 29, 2011 9:24:38 PM

Okcookienc said:
Ok, now we're really off topic. The OP originally asked whether he could configure a 560 and a 590 in SLI, then asked about a 570 and a 590, then about AV protection... I'm all for answering his questions and helping him out, but when we're debating about AV efficacy in a thread about GPUs, it's time to call it quits.

was just replying.
Yes they fluctuate in the 90 percent. Avg doesn't even reach 90. If you want proof head over to av-comparatives.org and check the tests. Avg free edition is really bad where Microsoft security essentials perform better, just as light on resources and is free.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 29, 2011 10:53:05 PM

Quote:
Drivers make it a stupid setup.

Right, because all AMD crossfire setups have driver issues. I must have horse shoes up my butt to not have had issues. And let's forget about how AMD cards are scaling better than Nvidia. :pfff: 
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
October 29, 2011 11:37:04 PM

wolfram23 said:
Right, because all AMD crossfire setups have driver issues. I must have horse shoes up my butt to not have had issues. And let's forget about how AMD cards are scaling better than Nvidia. :pfff: 

That's not worth squat if there are still 'other' issues. [:mousemonkey]
m
l
October 30, 2011 12:19:11 PM

Okcookienc said:

Whats AV efficacy? LOL Im just kidding, and yeah I went way off in the weeds with questions on this thread. My bad, I'll end the barrage of newbie questions, and thanks again to all you guys who have responded with help. Peace!!
m
l
!