Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k and Asrock P67 Extreme6

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2011 3:01:00 PM

I'm planning on buying this within the next day and putting it in my current case (an HP). Very soon I'll be buying a proper case because I understand that manufacturer cases usually need modifications before they can be used normally with new motherboards, and if that's the case I'll just wait until I buy a new one.

I am dead-set on an i5 2500k processor. I want advice on the Asrock mobo.

This is the Asrock P67 Extreme6: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Have you heard anything negative about this motherboard? Do you know of any others comparable at $160? This one's on sale right now, down from $220.

Also I'm probably going to get the newegg extended warranty for $17. its an extra year and i don't think it's much to spend considering the Asrock warranty is only 2 years.. (or was it 3?)

Thanks for your input! Also if you know of any deals on the board or the board with the i5, please let me know!

Lauren
December 18, 2011 4:34:22 PM

Asrock is kind of a mixed bag - either you'll get a really good one or a really bad one, but they're getting better. You're better off going with Gigabyte, Asus, Intel, EVGA, or something else (avoid Biostar, Foxconn, and ECS).

But don't get the extended warranty - they're usually pretty useless and if it works past the first 60 days you're good. The manufacturers usually have their own warranty included (generally about 2 - 3 years).

You also want to pair your i5-2500K with 8GB of RAM and a good CPU cooler - I generally recommend the Hyper 212, Noctua NH-U9B, and EVGA's cooler.'

This is the board I use and it's been excellent so far: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
December 19, 2011 6:32:28 AM

Thanks for your reply! I got in touch with one of my techie friends and he recommended an two different ASUS boards. I ended up getting the ASUS P8Z68 Pro/Gen3. I also have 8GB RAM in my current tower which I'll use.

I was thinking about getting a Corsair H60. I'll check out the ones you posted as well. Thoughts?
m
l
Related resources
December 19, 2011 8:13:11 PM

laurezard said:
Thanks for your reply! I got in touch with one of my techie friends and he recommended an two different ASUS boards. I ended up getting the ASUS P8Z68 Pro/Gen3. I also have 8GB RAM in my current tower which I'll use.

I was thinking about getting a Corsair H60. I'll check out the ones you posted as well. Thoughts?

Definitely not a bad choice, I use a lot of Asus boards myself.

Check out this comparison between liquid coolers and air coolers: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/h2o-h80-h100-benchm...

I'd definitely recommend the Corsair hydro coolers over the Antec Kuhler, but in your case I'd definitely be more inclined to suggest a good strong air cooler. The Noctua and EVGA ones would be more than comparable for the same price, and probably better suited to your build.
m
l
December 20, 2011 10:18:35 AM

So I've looked over your article, and I must admit, I'm still a huge noob when it comes to cooling systems. I did my research on CPUs, motherboards... but I still don't really know all the factors that go into good cooling. So I want to ask you:

1. What is the biggest difference between air and water cooling? It's basically price vs performance right?

2. Why would you recommend an air cooler for my case over a water cooler? Is it because the latter would take up too much space?

3. My case has 2 rubber grommets on the back to accommodate cables or water cooling hoses. If I took advantage of these, would a water cooler still be too bulky? How would I set that up (what parts of the cooler go outside the case)?

4. I'm planning on setting up my tower in a little cabinet in my desk. It has a door on the front that swings closed. Basically, the tower would be completely surrounded.. would this be really hard on it, temperature-wise? Do you think either fans or water systems would still be effective? I'm guessing that fans wouldn't be much help if the tower is enclosed in a cabinet... but would water cooling still work?

If the cabinet thing sounds like a bad idea, I'll just put it somewhere else. I wonder what else I can use that tall, tower-shaped area for.. lol!

Thanks for helping me! If I've got too many questions (which I do!) feel free to just answer what you can, if you don't mind! You're the best. ;) 
m
l
December 20, 2011 3:41:24 PM

Quote:
1. What is the biggest difference between air and water cooling? It's basically price vs performance right?

Actually no - it's more of a question of "how far do you want to push your CPU to its' absolute limit". You can definitely achieve that with a high-quality air cooler like the ones I mentioned. You can achieve 4+ GHz easily on the coolers I recommended but if you want to go anywhere beyond that, that's where liquid cooling comes in.

Quote:
2. Why would you recommend an air cooler for my case over a water cooler? Is it because the latter would take up too much space?

Much less room for error in an air cooling setup than there is with a water cooling setup. A closed block like the H100 will gove you less chances for something to go wrong than say a fully customized water cooling block will. There's times when a water cooling block does come in handy is if you're running monster hardware like the EVGA Classified SR-2 with dual Xeons, quad 580 SLI, and 48GB of RAM - but even the most hardcore gamers probably will never be able to afford that setup... :lol: 

Quote:
3. My case has 2 rubber grommets on the back to accommodate cables or water cooling hoses. If I took advantage of these, would a water cooler still be too bulky? How would I set that up (what parts of the cooler go outside the case)?

Like I said before - water cooling is extremely risky for not a lot of payoff. Most people who want to push their CPUs beyond 4.5GHz are doing it mainly for bragging rights only. If you're just a casual gamer, having +-.2GHz on a CPU isn't going to make that much of a difference in framerates. Where you really want to concentrate on building a system is surrounding your PC with the best hardware you can get for the money - put the money you'd be spending on a liquid block into getting the best video card and motherboard you can for the money, and the other thing I'd really suggest is getting a good SSD - that's where you'll really notice dramatic improvements in how your PC performs.

Quote:
4. I'm planning on setting up my tower in a little cabinet in my desk. It has a door on the front that swings closed. Basically, the tower would be completely surrounded.. would this be really hard on it, temperature-wise? Do you think either fans or water systems would still be effective? I'm guessing that fans wouldn't be much help if the tower is enclosed in a cabinet... but would water cooling still work?

That actually depends on how you set your PC up. If you have the right fans and the right air flow, air cooling can be just as effective as water cooling. Here's another article I'd suggest reading on the subject: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea...

Quote:
If the cabinet thing sounds like a bad idea, I'll just put it somewhere else. I wonder what else I can use that tall, tower-shaped area for.. lol!

I actually have my PC sitting in a cabinet underneath my TV - as long as your cabinets are properly ventilated you should be good.

Quote:

I just saw this - reusing your RAM is generally not a good idea unless you know for sure it's compatible (check Asus' compatible memory guidelines). RAM is so cheap right now that you might as well just get new RAM once you get your build setup.

Quote:
Thanks for helping me! If I've got too many questions (which I do!) feel free to just answer what you can, if you don't mind! You're the best. ;) 

No problem. :sol: 
m
l
December 21, 2011 7:50:46 AM

Wow thanks for all your answers! You are an amazing human being. <3

I just received all my parts today, a whole day early! I'm thinking of starting the build soon, going off of my included manuals and guides like this one: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Assemble_A_Desktop_...

I've a few more questions for you.
1. What would you define as a "properly ventilated" cabinet? Mine is pretty much entirely sealed when the front door of it is shut, and has a 2-inch in diameter hole in the back of the cabinet for the computer's wires to go through. Other than that it's shut off from the world. I think that the air would pretty much get recycled within that cabinet, getting warmer and warmer as the computer runs, and limiting its cooling functionality. What do you think?
(Until I get some opinions on this, I'll just leave the tower outside. Better safe than sorry!

2. How can I check that my RAM will be compatible with my new motherboard? On the box for my new ASUS board, it says "Memory: 4 x DIMM, max. 32GB, DDR3 2200 (O.C.), 2133 (O.C.)/ 1866 (O.C.)/ 1600/ 1333/ 1066 MHz, non-ECC, un-buffered memory."

Can you explain this to me? I know that that means it has 4 slots for RAM, with a max of 32 GB total, so 8GB per slot at best. And all the different numbers are.. how fast the RAM is, in MHz? It's been years since I've had to mess with RAM, so I'm pretty unknowledgeable about it.
Does the O.C. stand for overclocked? I didn't know you could overclock RAM, lol. Or do you need those particular speeds of RAM to be able to overclock your CPU?

I just (very shamefully) realized that my RAM is DDR2. Can you recommend some good (and hopefully pretty cheap!) non-ECC, un-buffered, DDR3 RAM? I was thinking of staying around 8GB of RAM, do you think I should get more? To my understanding, 8GB should definitely be enough RAM right? I'm hoping to play new games at great graphics settings.. how much RAM do I need?

These got recommended to me when I posted earlier about my build when I was still figuring everything out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seems like a good deal to me, and it's 2 x 4GB cards so I can easily upgrade later with a couple more. But maybe 1600 MHz is slow for RAM? I dunno. Your opinion?

I'm hoping to purchase RAM within the next 10 hours (so that it can be shipped the same day). Please get back to me, and thanks again for all of your feedback. I can't begin to thank you <3

PS: Just to let you know, I bought this hybrid drive and it arrived with the rest of my pieces: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
What do you think of it? It was on sale so it came out to about twice the price per GB of a traditional HDD, but I've heard good things about it! I desperately needed a HDD, so I figured it couldn't hurt. I'm planning to get an SSD later when I've got more money, and when the price (hopefully) drops. I was just wondering if you've had any experience with hybrid drives. Thanks!
m
l
December 21, 2011 3:47:28 PM

Quote:
I've a few more questions for you.
1. What would you define as a "properly ventilated" cabinet? Mine is pretty much entirely sealed when the front door of it is shut, and has a 2-inch in diameter hole in the back of the cabinet for the computer's wires to go through. Other than that it's shut off from the world. I think that the air would pretty much get recycled within that cabinet, getting warmer and warmer as the computer runs, and limiting its cooling functionality. What do you think?
(Until I get some opinions on this, I'll just leave the tower outside. Better safe than sorry!

As long as you have space so that none of your case vents are blocked you'll be fine. If you sit it in a closed cabinet where there's going to be recycled air that could potentially cause problems down the road but you should keep your tower in an open area just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
2. How can I check that my RAM will be compatible with my new motherboard? On the box for my new ASUS board, it says "Memory: 4 x DIMM, max. 32GB, DDR3 2200 (O.C.), 2133 (O.C.)/ 1866 (O.C.)/ 1600/ 1333/ 1066 MHz, non-ECC, un-buffered memory."

If you go to Asus' website - go to the technical support site and search for your motherboard model, there will be a page that lists compatible CPUs and there will be a page for "compatible memory guidelines". And they will generally have a long list of RAM brands, speeds and timing settings they've been able to test with the motherboard (not to mention - can and probably will void your warranties on MB, CPU, and RAM). General guidelines for Z68 setups are 1600MHz, 1.5V (1.6V and 1.65V work in some cases but not all), timing 9-9-9-24. The voltage is key - you don't want to get anything less or more than what your motherboard is able to handle, that could spell bad things in the future.

The higher speeds (1866/2133/2200) haven't been tested natively but are achievable through OC'ing, but OC'ing your RAM is never a good idea to begin with and could fry your motherboard if you try it. The thing is - they certainly can't test every part on the market, but it will give you a good idea as to what works and what doesn't.

Quote:
What do you think of it? It was on sale so it came out to about twice the price per GB of a traditional HDD, but I've heard good things about it! I desperately needed a HDD, so I figured it couldn't hurt. I'm planning to get an SSD later when I've got more money, and when the price (hopefully) drops. I was just wondering if you've had any experience with hybrid drives. Thanks!

I have never used a hybrid drive before (mainly just due to price) but they're certainly not a bad way to go if you don't have the cash for an SSD/HD setup which is what I generally recommend. The thing is they're meant for laptops where you don't have that option but you can certainly use 2.5" drives in a desktop configuration. You may need to get a mounting bracket for it, though.

Quote:
These got recommended to me when I posted earlier about my build when I was still figuring everything out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231428

Seems like a good deal to me, and it's 2 x 4GB cards so I can easily upgrade later with a couple more. But maybe 1600 MHz is slow for RAM? I dunno. Your opinion?

Nothing wrong with G.Skill - I use their RAM all the time. It's inexpensive and generally pretty good quality.

The thing with speeds though is that they're kind of just there. Your motherboard will generally default to the lowest speeds and timing it can handle and on a full CPU load it will adjust accordingly.

Quote:
I'm hoping to purchase RAM within the next 10 hours (so that it can be shipped the same day). Please get back to me, and thanks again for all of your feedback. I can't begin to thank you <3

No problem.
m
l
December 23, 2011 5:21:53 AM

Thanks for all of your help! I ended up ordering this RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's low-voltage! I never even knew there was such a thing, (which just goes to show you how little I know) but my motherboard's manual said that it worked with other brands of RAM that were low-voltage, and a few normal-voltage sticks from G.Skill, so why not?

Anyway, I placed my order yesterday! I live in Hawaii, so I had to pay an OUTRAGEOUS $20 for shipping, but what can you do? It still came out to being cheaper than from a store (barely). However, even though I was forced into getting the "Newegg 2-day" shipping that uses UPS, I checked my order and it says it'll be here next Tuesday. Before ordering, I read that 1- and 2-day shipping with UPS WILL be delivered on Saturdays, unlike normal packages, so I went ahead with it but now I find out that even though my package was shipped today, it will still take way more than 2 days. And me being in Hawaii isn't an excuse, because no matter what, it's still 2-day shipping!

It's air mail! Lol, I know you really don't need to know any of this, it's just that I'm about to call Newegg and try to get some answers.. and a refund. Have you had any experience with Newegg/ UPS shipping? Man, I'm just asking you about everything. :)  Either way, thanks for putting up with me all this time. Looks like it's time for me to face customer service (oh no!).
m
l
December 23, 2011 4:58:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all of your help! I ended up ordering this RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231477

It's low-voltage! I never even knew there was such a thing, (which just goes to show you how little I know) but my motherboard's manual said that it worked with other brands of RAM that were low-voltage, and a few normal-voltage sticks from G.Skill, so why not?

G.Skill is a good brand of RAM, I've bought quite a bit of their stuff.

Quote:
Anyway, I placed my order yesterday! I live in Hawaii, so I had to pay an OUTRAGEOUS $20 for shipping, but what can you do? It still came out to being cheaper than from a store (barely). However, even though I was forced into getting the "Newegg 2-day" shipping that uses UPS, I checked my order and it says it'll be here next Tuesday. Before ordering, I read that 1- and 2-day shipping with UPS WILL be delivered on Saturdays, unlike normal packages, so I went ahead with it but now I find out that even though my package was shipped today, it will still take way more than 2 days. And me being in Hawaii isn't an excuse, because no matter what, it's still 2-day shipping!

$20 for shipping? That's like nothing. I've paid twice that much for one or two parts. :lol: 

Quote:
It's air mail! Lol, I know you really don't need to know any of this, it's just that I'm about to call Newegg and try to get some answers.. and a refund. Have you had any experience with Newegg/ UPS shipping? Man, I'm just asking you about everything. :)  Either way, thanks for putting up with me all this time. Looks like it's time for me to face customer service (oh no!).

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I've never had any problems with Newegg. I live in LA and their corporate headquarters is in City Of Industry so I can order stuff from them one day and get it literally the next - and when they ship their New Jersey warehouse I usually get stuff within 2 - 3 days of when I order. I've never really had a problem with UPS either.
m
l
!