BIOS is semi-forgetful

guitarman1017

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hello everyone. I'm having a problem with my motherboard I just bought new. It is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, Rev 3.0. I have an AMD 955BE processor in it and if I try to overclock it using the multiplier it doesnt take at all. No changes whatsoever. The thing is too that when I go into the bios, the multiplier is set to auto, then next to it it says 5.33. Under that for CPU frequency it says 1.06Ghz. If I chnge the multiplier to 16 making it 3.2 which is stock speed, it will not POST. Then when i go back to the bios the multiplier is at auto still, but where is said 5.33 now says 5.0. If I try to change it, it will only go up to 5.0 and stop. I've tried just about every multiplier setting under 16 and it will post but not change speed. If I change the FSB speed from 200 to whatever it will work. The board is brand new, so I'm thinkin its not the battery because it remembers other settings. It's just beyond me how changes arent effecting anything. I'm still able to overclock using AMD overdrive. So I may just stick with that. I dont think I'm going to RMA just because I cant use the multiplier, its just a pain knowing its not working and I'm looking for some answers. Hopefully I explained it enough to be understood. Thanks.

Heres my specs:

AMD 955BE 3.2Ghz @3.6Ghz
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 upgraded from Asus M3A76-CM
G. Skill Ripjaws X 1600 DDR3
Sapphire HD6850
Hitachi 500Gb HDD
Thermaltake 600w PS

nitroexplosion

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
last time i remember i did read an article that gigabyte was shipping there mobos with dead cmos batterys, and it does sound like a dead cmos bat, try replacing it with a new one that should fix the problem.

guitarman1017

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Well I replcaed the battery and no luck. I'm going back and forth with Gigabyte I just sent them CPU-Z screenshots that show the BIOS version being the newest one. If its gonna be too much of a P.I.TA. I'll just tell them to forget it. I can overclock and what not other ways. Just trying to do it the easy way.