Sign in with
Your question

Some feedback for my system?

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2011 4:49:02 PM

Just looking for some feedback on my setup; this should run most games at max settings @1920x1080 around 60FPS right?

*BASE_PRICE: [+725]
BLUETOOTH: None
CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
CARE2: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
CARE3: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
CAS: Xion Predator 970 Gaming Series Mid Tower Case w/ 2 External Removable HDD Bays [+17]
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [+20] (BLACK COLOR)
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) [+100]
CS_FAN: Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+9]
ENGRAVING: NONE
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: None [-3]
GLASSES: None
HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-13] (Single Hard Drive)
HDD2: None
IEEE_CARD: None
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: Tt eSports Challenger Pro Gaming Keyboard Black [+53]
MB_SRT: None
MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) Intel Z68 ATX Mainboard w/ Lucid Virtu, Intel SRT, OC Genie II, Winki 3 & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 3 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)
MOUSE: Roccat Kova 3200dpi Optical Sensor Gaming Mouse [+32]
NCSW: None
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more) [+19]
POWERSUPPLY: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+41]
RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+307] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None
_PRICE: (+1355)

More about : feedback system

December 17, 2011 5:37:24 PM

I built a system there on Black Friday, and so here's a few comments based on the research I did in prep, and since.

1) Change the PS. The Xtremegear (the in-house brand for Cyberpower) is notorious for having reliability issues and even causing damage to other components. I learned there was a lot more to power supplies that just how many Watts they are listed as having. Recommend you research a few options on your own. I ended up getting the 850W corsair enthusiast (non-modular). Depending on whether you want to go Crossfire down the road, you wouldn't necessarily need something that large.

2) Change the type of RAM - don't get the "Corsair or major brand". CP treats the term "major brand" very loosely. That options very regularly yields very poor quality RAM that can cause a lot of system stability issues. Upgrade to Hyper-X or Vengeance.

The rest of it seems reasonable, at least to me. A few more things I picked differently, just for some perspective.
1) For gaming there isn't a really a difference between the 2600k you went with, and the $100 cheaper 2500k. I went with the 2500k, and used the difference towards a 120gb Intel 320 SSD as a boot drive, in additional to a larger data drive
2) I went with air cooling instead of liquid - just seemed less risky to me. I picked the Hyper 212 EVO, which has good reviews as long as you aren't trying a real aggressive OC.
3) I was impressed with the reviews for the Corsair 400r case, given cost. So went with that.
4) I'm not too up to speed on motherboards, but had tons of people recommend the Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, which is what I went with.

December 18, 2011 12:00:58 AM

I have to agree with weeze on just about everything except the cooler for the CPU If you see my sig you will see what I went with but don't get the same power supply as I did although I have not had any problems with it knock on wood.

I like my MOBO (mother board) and I love the Water cooler. He is right about the i7 vs i5 with the i7 you will only use 30 to 40% of unless you plan on doing hyperthreading then you will need it.

Also the GPU the HD 6970's are very nice except if you are going to use more resolution than 1920 x 1200 then the 2GB Vram would be needed, but if you are not it is a wast of money It is just eye candy.

The reason I chose my MOBO is because it does either Crossfire or Sli. I wish you the best with your nice system I know you will be happy with it as I was.
!