Sign in with
Your question

Replacing my PC case

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2011 6:13:15 PM

Hey guys, I am looking to replace my PC case, as my current microATX case is not big enough for the video card I plan on purchasing soon. I have also always wanted a case with LEDs, but that is beside the point. I have no experience building computers, so I am just making sure that I will not run into any problems when switching cases. This is the case I plan on purchasing.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Basically what I'm wondering, is everything about cases universal? I know it supports microATX MOBOs. That's all I need to know for it to be compatible with my parts, right? I'm sorry if this question doesn't make sense, I just don't want to spend a hundred bucks, have this delivered and find out it doesn't have the right connectors or something like that. thanks very much in advance.

More about : replacing case

a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2011 9:14:41 AM

Cases are pretty universal yes.

However, I don't think the HAF 922 you selected is a very good value purchase. I wouldn't pay $115 for it.

You should be able to get a comparable case for a little over half of that, or $30 off at least.

It matters how long your video card is and stuff like that because many cases have trouble fitting long video cards.

If you have a really long video card, your best bet is a case with removable bays, like mine has.

My video card isn't overly long or anything, but my case does have a removable hard drive holder in the middle of it (which I have removed and don't use) so I can move up to a really long 590 if I want to without worrying about anything.

If you look up PC-K59 on newegg you can see the 3 different bays in there. It is $120 at this moment too, but I managed to get it half off on Black Friday ($60 shipped).

There are many cases with similar abilities and different companies have sales at different times depending on their cash needs so you should be able to save quite a bit if you are willing to be flexible on which case you get.

Just glancing around on Newegg I saw that the 912 is only $69 shipped right now.

You can get a plain Antec 300 non-illusion for $75 shipped while the Illusion version is $87.

The Cooler Master Storm Scout case is $85 after rebates.

I would consider whether some of those high rated options could do the same thing as the one you chose for substantially less. The shipping costs are extremely high right now on most cases and most of those have free or $5 shipping instead of $25, which is a pretty big deal in terms of the shipped price.
m
l
December 19, 2011 10:32:31 AM

There are two major considerations with cases and compatibility. GPU length, and HSF accommodation. Most modern cases today (outside of the ultra-budget) support up to 10.5" video cards. Not all cases however will support oversized heatsink/fans. Just make sure and check in the specs of both your gpu and case to ensure it's fine. HSF you only need to worry about if you're installing a massive air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 or Prolimatech Megahalems. If you are, or plan to then you really have to dig a little deeper and start examining the case dimensions.
m
l
!