Is my PC causing this?

jason290988

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hello,

Last weekend I upgraded my CPU so my PC would run faster (I will post the specs further down)

On Tuesday, I turnt my PC on, it was running for about 7hrs with no problems, then we had a power cut (only the sockets went, the lights stayed on) after which the PC started with no problems again. Then today after my PC had been running for roughly the same time, it happened again. (Strangely both times our neighbors power went also)

Both times my PC was running FM12, but I do the added skins, face packs and logo graphics. Maybe this is what causes it. But looking around the web, I found that my CPU uses 105W, my Graphics card, 69W, and RAM, HDD etc use about 10W each, this added up is about 220W (mines 450 so should be fine)

My PC specs are

450W PSU
Intel Core2Quad Q6600
3GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce GT240 GPU

I was thinking that maybe the PSU was not powerful enough to run the system and was cutting out, but surely it would cut off almost instantly and not after 7hrs.

This is the PSU I have

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000O…

and this is the GPU

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002U…

Also if it is the PSU that is the problem, would it cause mine, and my neighbors power to go out?

jemm

Distinguished
Definitively your PC is not causing any black out in your home, nor in the neighbors´. It is a problem with your local power sub-station -- that´s it!

jason290988

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Thats what I was thinking, But when I rang them, they told me there was nothing reported to them, and maybe it was an internal issue. The only thing I could think of was The PC, as it is the only thing to have change in the last week.

If it was the PC, would it be able to take out both? The houses do not meet, There is a good 2ft between our wall and theirs, so we should not be sharing any cables, and they should not be near each other.

jason290988

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

OK, thanks for the help.

I will be getting a better PSU soon anyway, but it will not be so urgant now!