Your question
Solved

Fixing a bad capacitor on MB

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Computers
Last response: in Motherboards
January 29, 2013 2:21:30 AM

Pobably not the best place to ask this question, but maybe someone can point me to the right place.

I Turned on a computer that had been working. A short "pop", a fairly intense burning odor, and later I found a capacitor (I presume) on the bottom of my computer case:
Here is a pic of the Asus P5-K. The green arrow points to where the capacitor used to sit.
http://jazzdrummer.com/capacitor2.jpg
First of all I'd like to know if it is indeed a capacitor and if not, what it is. Whatever it is, can I get another, solder it in and have any hope of fixing this board? I'm really clueless, if you can't tell. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This could be an opportunity for me to learn something. I don't have much to lose here. I wasn't really using the computer much but if it's fixable for very cheap, I'd like to try.
TIA

More about : fixing bad capacitor

a c 529 V Motherboard
January 29, 2013 2:51:14 PM

It is the capacitor and the model should be on the side, you can search the model # online to get one. When you solder it carefully with soldering iron with a fine tip. On YouTube, you will find lots of info about people who hand solder surface mount parts.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2013 10:44:31 PM

It is infact a capacitor. You need to figure out the uF rating and voltage rating.

The replacement part should be identical in package and as close as possible in uF rating.

Voltage of the new part can be equal or as much as 4 times higher with no issue if it fits.

The bad news is the failure ~may~ be caused by another component being bad. This means the new cap could possibly pop or otherwise the board not work correctly.
Related resources
January 30, 2013 2:17:53 AM

Thanks. The capacitor has what looks like a fancy "F" with a horizontal line on top and below and the #'s 724
Then 271
Then 16v
Does that tell me what I know to get a replacement?
Thanks again.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2013 2:55:12 AM

I do not quite understand that coding system. I suggest you go over to http://www.badcaps.net/forum/ and register there. They are very likely to know the value and provide information on replacing.
m
l
a c 529 V Motherboard
January 30, 2013 4:06:30 AM

It looks like 271uf, 16V capacitor.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 30, 2013 5:07:14 AM

271uf would be very unusual. maybe 27 * 1 uf? Maybe 27 + 1 zero (270uf)?
m
l
a c 529 V Motherboard
January 30, 2013 10:27:43 AM

I don't know where was it made? In USA it will be 270uf, because F=271uf +/-1.
m
l
January 31, 2013 4:09:49 AM

That link is it exactly except for the first #. Mine is 724 to the right of the the "F" character.And there is no "k" following the #.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2013 4:16:17 AM

First line is probably a manufacturer number and need not match.
m
l
February 10, 2013 3:30:34 AM

Best answer selected by runf_40.
m
l
!