Just got my system back, some questions about the video card

DarkstarOne

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Ok, so I just got my system back from warranty service at MicroCenter. I have a Dell 435MT--they replaced the stock 360W PSU and ATI 4850 video card with a 500W Coolermaster PSU and an 1GB Gigabyte HD 6750 OC. 6 GB RAM, i7-920.

Few questions I have:

(1) I'm using CPU-ID's HWMonitor to monitor the video card. It's showing the card idling at 42C with the card's fan at 35%.
Is this idle temp ok? Should I raise the fan speed a bit more? What kind of effect does higher fan speed have on the life of the card?

(2) What kind of temps should I be seeing, at most, during heavy 3D gaming? I played about 10-15 minutes of Oblivion, and noticed the card got to 61C, but that was before I set it to let me control the fan speed on the video card. What fan speed should I set it to for heavy gaming?

I really appreciate the help, and the help I've gotten before. This is a great place, and one of the few forums like it where a newbie doesn't get his head chewed off for what some jerks think are stupid questions. I'm glad it's not like that here.

Download furmark, open your CCC and monitor your temps/fanspeed run furmark in a window. What does temp and fanspeed go to. If over 65 and fanspeed is low, up it to bring the temps down. For Idle I adjust fan speed for min temp while not having the fan to load. For load I try to keep around 60->65 C. But even 70c possibly 80 C is OK.

DarkstarOne

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

I downloaded and ran the Furmark benchmark test. With the system handling the card's fan speed, the temp maxed out at 64C with the fan speed going to 42%.

TRENDING THREADS