how can I prevent my kids from viewing adult sites on the ..

thanx for your help.It's greatly appreciated.isis123

map

"isis123" wrote:

> --
> thanx for your help.It's greatly appreciated.isis123

There are several programs avi. for this, search google.
Net nanny is one cybercop is another

> thanx for your help.It's greatly appreciated.isis123

Well, for starters, their mother needs a lesson on how to post to Usenet.

1) /Don't/ put your question in the subject line and leave the message
body blank - the subject line is for a synopsis of the issue, not the issue
in its entirety.

2) /Don't/ put the body of your message in the signature - denoted by the
double hyphen. Some people use software that filters out signatures and your
message will disappear.

3) /Do/ use proper English - just because this is Usenet, doesn't mean
you can toss English convention out the window. Pretend you were writing a
letter and use the same form.

4) It would be a very good idea to read the information contained within
the sites listed below. They are designed to assist newbies, such as
yourself, to learn what is expected on Usenet. You see, when one is new to
something, it's a good idea to learn about it before taking the plunge.

How to Compose a Good Newsgroup Post
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

How to Act Smart on Usenet

Getting Your Post Noticed - and Answered
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp

But, to answer your question, there are a good deal of software packages to
block unsafe sites. Many do so by using keywords; however, this isn't always
the best approach, as there are words that have a 'legitimate' English
meaning - 'tit(s)', 'ball(s)', 'pussy' and 'cock' being the most obvious.
There are also some that scrutinise too closely and bloc 'naughty' words
they find within other words - take the place name 'Scunthorpe' for
example - I'm sure you can work that one out.

I cannot recommend any packages myself but www.babyzone.com has some useful
and practical advice. The specific article I refer to can be found here
http://www.babyzone.com/features/content/display.asp?ContentID=1416. I'm
sure you can find many more yourself by Googling. I Googled for 'protecting
kids online' and Babyzone was amongst the first ten hits.

Depending on the age of your child, there are sites like
http://www.kidinnovation.com/parental-control-software.php which will
provide your child with a safe place to play and links to such
child-friendly places as Yahooligans. It also has its own email client and
instant messenge applet as well as software for blocking nasties, such as
porn sites. They're currently running a special offer of $29.95 for the year
which gives you accounts for two children. That's about the same price as
one mid-range game. You can download a free 30-day trial to see if it would
suit your needs.

All the examples I have given would probably be suitable for children in the
age range K-5/6. For older children (grades 7-9 say) something like Net
Nanny might be sufficient and for age 15+, you can probably just set NN up
to log the sites as, by that age, they should be mature enough to guide
themselves (though, in my experience, teenage girls tend to be more sensible
than teenage boys - and, no, I'm not saying that just because I'm female!)

I think that should give you enough food for thought. If you need any more,
just remember "Google is your friend"!

--
My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually lose
his marbles?

While the replies to your post by Miss P and others contain very good
information, the point is missed by all. Simply gather your children for a
family talk and lay down the law. Make a deal with them. If they will
refrain from surfing porn sites they can continue to use the computer. Let
them know that you will be checking the History folder of Internet Explorer,
or the browser of your choice, for their surfing habits. Tell them you have
installed an application that records the URL of any site they browse to and
you can double check it with the History folder of your browser to see if
they are cheating. While that will be a lie, they don't know that. If they
break your newly minted agreement they lose their computer privileges. Give
them one more chance. If they surf on over to pornography sites again, they
lose the computer for a month. This would give them some time to reflect on
their choices. At the end of the term of punishment, they may use the
computer for 30 minutes per day, under your personal supervision. If they
protest these Draconian policies, inform them that they are not living in a
democracy, but rather in a dictatorship. Your word is absolute law. Period.
Many of my friends that have children use these tactics and they work.

"isis123" <isis123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> thanx for your help.It's greatly appreciated.isis123

y dont u install a spysoftware on your computer that records alll the
activity fo your computer with keystrokes and screenshots and then seee what
your kids r typing in search bars and monitor them.
Voilence is not the answer. Kids can go to their friends house ans watch
porno over there you have to teach them the diference between good and bad.

www.helpline4it.com
The Best IT Community Portal!
www.helpline4it.com