Sign in with
Your question

1400-1500$ Gaming Build (First Time Build)

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2011 10:29:04 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next few weeks (hopefully within 1-3 weeks)

Budget Range: ~1400-1500 (will gladly go a bit higher if needed; definitely will go lower lol)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Diablo III, SC2, TOR), Video/Photo Editing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon

Parts Preferences: Will gladly take any recommendations

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes/Maybe (Will decide upon recommendations)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (might upgrade monitors in the near future)

Additional Comments:
1) Is everything compatible? Nee to add anything?
2) What would be better in your opinions regarding GPUs? Just getting the 1 GTX 580 (and then buying another sometime next year once new cards roll out)? Or, something else for now then upgrading later?
3) If you see anything where I could either get:
>>A) Better performance for the same or just a tad bit more money OR
>>B) Spending less money with not very noticeable declines in performance (open to both suggestions)
4) ANY recommendations are greatly appreciated

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

GPU: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W

HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SSD: ADATA S510 Series AS510S3-120GM-C 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Mem: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9B

DiskD: Asus 24x DVD Burner

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER RR-H612-20PK-R1 120mm Sleeve Hyper 612 PWM CPU Cooler

Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case

Thanks in advance for the help guys!
December 17, 2011 11:01:56 PM

Since your GPU and CPU are very far from each other, you will have some bottleneck on your system. I suggest lowering the GPU cost.
m
l
December 17, 2011 11:03:26 PM

i would go with 8gb of ram @ 1600, you will never need 16gb right now and it is easy to add ram later at a cheaper price. I would go with G Skill

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you don't need the HDD right away you should buy a main storage drive later when you are running out of room on the SSD. HDD prices are sky high right now due to the flooding in Thailand.

I personally don't like using sli. The micro-stuttering can get annoying and I prefer a game being smooth rather than seeing the high FPS. It doesn't bother some people but it's something I definitely notice, so keep that in mind when thinking of a GPU. If you were to do sli right now you could go with 2 gtx 570's or to save some cash go with the gtx 560 448-cores special edition that they have out right now. It will perform about the same as a gtx 570. Personally I would just go with the gtx 580. I like the twin frozr II by msi
If you are going to upgrade to a multi screen setup I would get a graphics card with more memory like this one
to handle the higher resolutions

m
l
Related resources
December 17, 2011 11:20:10 PM

azeem40 said:
Since your GPU and CPU are very far from each other, you will have some bottleneck on your system. I suggest lowering the GPU cost.

What GPU would you recommend? Also, if I wanted to stay with the 580, what CPU would u recommend going to?

@Manahnen: Thanks for the advice! I had actually considered skipping out on the HDD for now earlier, but just put it up there for now. I doubt I will fill up the 120 for a bit since I will probably put a lot of stuff on external. Also, I had a friend recommend the G Skill as well, so I will most likely end up swapping there so thanks (plus save a bit of money). I will most likely be running a multi screen set up, so I will second card a look. What difference would you predict/see with running multi-screen on the frozr II?
m
l
December 17, 2011 11:48:13 PM

If you go for the sli setup, which would be smart with multi monitors, twin gtx 570's or 560 448-core's will be able to handle almost anything you throw at it. A single gtx 580 with 1.5gb memory might struggle to play games like BF3 at max settings with the larger resolution. A card with 580 with 3gb will run a little smoother but will struggle more than the multi gpu setups i listed earlier. The frozr II runs pretty cool and that is why i recommended it. When running sli this becomes very important due to the limited space between the two cards. If you do take a 580 and plan to add a second I would suggest getting a PSU with larger wattage. For two 570's a 850w PSU will work just fine
m
l
December 18, 2011 12:00:08 AM

azeem40 said:

are kidding me????? that cpu can easily run a 3-way SLi gtx 580 setup LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!think before you speak!
m
l
December 18, 2011 12:00:48 AM

manahnen said:
If you go for the sli setup, which would be smart with multi monitors, twin gtx 570's or 560 448-core's will be able to handle almost anything you throw at it. A single gtx 580 with 1.5gb memory might struggle to play games like BF3 at max settings with the larger resolution. A card with 580 with 3gb will run a little smoother but will struggle more than the multi gpu setups i listed earlier. The frozr II runs pretty cool and that is why i recommended it. When running sli this becomes very important due to the limited space between the two cards. If you do take a 580 and plan to add a second I would suggest getting a PSU with larger wattage. For two 570's a 850w PSU will work just fine

Ok cool deal, I am thinking about taking the frozr II for now and just running the single for a while (It would be a while before I would consider running it in SLI, so I will probably stick with the 850W PSU for now and then if I would ever run the 580 in SLI, I could just upgrade PSU then).

To everyone:
It seems that a lot of people on the site holds the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 in high regard. What would be the differences in the ASRock Z68 Mobo compared to the ASUS P8Z68 (performance and value)? Also, can anyone comment on the on board Audio? If poor, what would be some recommendations on some value sound cards?
m
l
December 18, 2011 12:08:45 AM

extreme3 gen3 is a good mobo.i have not seen any of serious complaints.so you should be fine.
yeah!demanding games with high resolution textures demand more VRAM.metro 2033
easily eats up to 1400mb when maxed out on 1080p.a 2gb card is enough but if you prefer nvidia then go with gtx 570 2.5GB or gtx 580 3GB(a little expensive but its worth it).change your cpu cooler to hyper 212 EVO.its good and cheap.
m
l
December 18, 2011 12:10:35 AM

yea gtx 580 in sli is a pretty big investment. They're pretty identical, I would just go with the cheaper one. As far as audio quality goes, I own a 4 yr old msi motherboard with great audio so I'm sure either of these boards will have good on board audio. No need to waste your money on a sound card :) 
m
l
December 18, 2011 12:12:39 AM

the mobo's are pretty identical is what i was saying above.
m
l
!